Quantcast

Sram X.9?

DHBIKERPUNK

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
New York, Upstate
yes another derailleur question, sorry for the spam:spam: I want to get away from shimano deore and sh*t. I was thinking maybe a SRAM X.9 short cage. If you could id like some reviews and stuff on it, or maybe riders that own them and have good/bad, relationships with them. Im an aggresive downhiller who tends to ride real hard.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
yes another derailleur question, sorry for the spam:spam: I want to get away from shimano deore and sh*t. I was thinking maybe a SRAM X.9 short cage. If you could id like some reviews and stuff on it, or maybe riders that own them and have good/bad, relationships with them. Im an aggresive downhiller who tends to ride real hard.
I run an X9 Med. cage on my Rotec RL9. (Only reason being med. instead of short is cause I run a full size (32-11) cassette on one of my rear wheels...don't wanna have to worry too much blah blah blah)

Anyway, I luv em. I've rotated two of em through last season and they survived a lot of sh*t. Spent 17 days at whistler and went through 3 der. hangers and only had to replace one tiny part on either der.

One of em took the wrong side of a rock wall crash and came out with just some scratches (after ripping the der. hanger off the bike!! w00t). That's actually the current one I have on the bike...still shifts like a champ. Ride it till it dies; that's my rear der. mantra.

You can't go wrong with X9's.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I have 07 x.9 short cage on both my bikes. It's very similar to the x.0 minus the carbon cage. Such a good value. I haven't had the x.9 on my bikes for very long so i can't really give you a very good review, but so far so good. At less you aim your bike at rocks or don't maintain your drivetrain at all it should hold up.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
I have 07 x.9 short cage on both my bikes. It's very similar to the x.0 minus the carbon cage. Such a good value. I haven't had the x.9 on my bikes for very long so i can't really give you a very good review, but so far so good. At less you aim your bike at rocks or don't maintain your drivetrain at all it should hold up.
x.9's are the shiznit. no more stupid housing loop to your derailluer. plus shifting is spot on. (with x.9 pods atleast) only thing i can recommend is modifying the thumb shifter down....(there's a thread on here that i started on here somewhere, search sram shifter mod)

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
After averaging about 2 XTs a season, I switched to SRAM x9 in 2005.

The other day when I was cleaning up my bike to sell, I realized that it was the first and only x9 I had ever bought, I can't for the life of me even remembering maintaining it (aside from the odd cable-stretch calibrating).

The New x9s look even better.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I bought an OG long cage X9 in 2004, and I'm still riding it. Holla!

SRAM makes good stuff, and the X9 is pure goodness double dipped in practicality and smoooooothness.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
I'm now running a Sram set up for the first time ever and the shifting is sheer perfection. I'm running an X-9 super short cage and an XO grip shifter. Never go back to Shimano after seeing the difference for myself.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I ran the '07 X9 short cage all last year with great results. I am still running the same derailuer this year. I run this on a V10 with an 11-32 and the length is perfect. If your running multiple rings up front and are worried about running big(ring)-big(cog) and snapping something, run a medium cage. The XO is lighter. However, I think the X9 short cage is on the same level for performance.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
howcome there is a 150$ differnce between the 99$ x.9 and the 249$ x.0?

my x.9 is working to par with my 105 wich has taken alot more beating. the x.9 has a stiffer spring but for some reason the joints on the parrallel link area are so stiff(good thing) it needs a stiffer spring or mine is just dead.

the main thing i dont get is the differnce in price between the best and second best.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
There's a tiny weight difference and the X0 looks flashier with its slightly more exotic materials.

The only problem I have with Sram is that the joints are inverted from Shimano. You can bend a Shimano's joints when it dies, but it's harder to do that on a Sram derailleur. Sounds like that's your problem Stitches.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
would a medium cage derailleur work fine with a 44T up front and a 34T in the rear. I would never put the chain in a position like that, but if it happened would the derailleur be ok?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
would a medium cage derailleur work fine with a 44T up front and a 34T in the rear. I would never put the chain in a position like that, but if it happened would the derailleur be ok?
If your running a single ring up front, then a medium cage will work with any combination avaliable.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Yes the der. will be fine. You will just need a long chain!
If your running a single ring up front, then a medium cage will work with any combination avaliable.
Thanks. What about if I'm running 3 rings up front? 2 rings? Although if it were only 2 up front it would be a 32/22 combo. most likely.