Quantcast

Sram Cassette Too Wide For Hadley Hub.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
This is strange. I swapped my old wheel on to my new frame(mondraker summum). It is a 9 speed hub, everything is tight etc I put a new sram pg970 cassette on, old one was a shimano. But the cassette seems to wide for the freehub body, the smallest cog spins when I put it in the the 9th gear and the cassette lock ring come loose pretty much straight away, it is like the cassette is too wide. Anyone ever come across this? I cannot work out what is wrong nor can anyone I have showed it to. I measured the sram and a shimano cassette and the sram is nearly 2mm wider than shimano.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
PS - one of my Hadleys came new with this piece too loose, and I nearly ruined the the hubshell by repeatedly trying to get the lockring on.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Ok I will check this, but the cassette will still sit in the same position, when I place the cassette on the freehub body, the smallest cog barely sits on the splines. I think if I try to run it it will just shred them as it is only sitting on them about one mil. The chain sits very close to the rear stay also, when I looked at another mondraker to compare, it did not sit as close as mine does.

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
some shimano cassettes use a washer behind the largest cog.
did you remove it before installing the sram cassette?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I ran into the same problem not too long ago. It's not the plastic ring because I'd just rebuilt the hub and rechecked it. It's a cheapo cassette but it's sram and it definitely doesn't fit.
MOAR SRAM FAIL!

Leave ur boxxxxxxers, Holzfeller and X9 at home...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MOAR SRAM FAIL!

Leave ur boxxxxxxers, Holzfeller and X9 at home...
Hi. The hater train is about to leave the station. Make sure you load up on your Suntour drivetrain parts with Shimano shifting and Marzocchi fork. You don't want to be left behind.:thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hi. The hater train is about to leave the station. Make sure you load up on your Suntour drivetrain parts with Shimano shifting and Marzocchi fork. You don't want to be left behind.:thumb:
Woah there! You obviously haven't got the hatorandum about Marzocchi forks, at the moment, you must use a fox fork to avoid a serious hater faux pas.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I have a two Hadley hubs, each with a SRAM cassette.

One fits, one does not. (well, barely anyway). :wtf:
I had never heard of this! I drove a long way to a race to find this out...

So where does the problem come from the hub or the sram cassette? Everyone seems to use Sram these days, I always used Shimano, but Sram seems better value these days when you look at price to weight ratio in my part of the world.

Last edited: