Quantcast

Spy shots: 2009 Spesh Trail SX and... Big Hit Proto???

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
Sweet, they totally followed my paint suggestion, "dip the BB area in diarrhea over some sweet tribal graphics and an ironic retro custard color." It's a shame they didn't carry the scheme all the way through to the components, but syncros is only a little retro; not retro enough to get all stylie with the mudbutt colors.
i guess what they are calling it is "Yellow and Gold" but custard is better i guess.
syncros to I9s, good combo

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Well, at least it looks like they addressed the high-ass top tube.

I can do a no-foot can on every bike I own, except my SXT. I kick the frame ~70% of the time.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Hi guys, i found this thread doing a search for specialized 2009, - i'm tempted by a Demo 7 frame, and wanted to know if i should get the '08, or wait for a newer '09 (if it's different - a rear maxle would be good).

Theres a lot of energy on here debating the form / function of these new frames, and those 'bent' tubes.

Structurally, The bend in the downtube around the shock doesn't count, because that bend is pinned by the cross-brace under the shock, and the bend in the downtube at the head tube junction opens the angle on the weld, making access easier, and reducing the opening stress on the weld.

the bend in the top tube makes a big difference to standover clearance - this is important if your potential customers want a bike with a 14" BB, a 16" frame, and have a 30" inside leg...

Those bends aren't cheap to produce and they look odd, but they all serve a purpose.

I came looking for a Demo 7, but now i'm having credit crunching thoughts about that new Big hit.

Bikes are ace.
You went from a Demo 7 to a big hit during the two minutes it took you to write that post? You'll be a roadie by your seventh post. :brows:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Sweet, they totally followed my paint suggestion, "dip the BB area in diarrhea over some sweet tribal graphics and an ironic retro custard color." It's a shame they didn't carry the scheme all the way through to the components, but syncros is only a little retro; not retro enough to get all stylie with the mudbutt colors.
hahahahahaah.....it also has "reverse bird sh:t" colorway handlebars.....white bars with black splatter all over them

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So the protos are like the production bikes. I still don't understand how they could be more efficient than the Kona and Turner more traditional diamond shaped frames. I smell marketing driven design.

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
I am an engineer.

And it is a mountian bike. Used for riding down and up hills.

Not an ipod, or a toaster, or a remote control or an ergonomic widget of some kind. It won't get you any roots from women. It should be built light and strong, not heavy with excessive tube bending to make it look like a wave break at Hawaii with a hot female surfer riding a malibu board at 4.35pm with a beautiful sunset in the background.

Function over form. It looks freaking ugly and heavier then what it needed to be.
HAHA, what would you do different?

rbx

Monkey
Put yourselves in the designers shoes

You want full length a seat tube so you some alternatives...

You use a rocker type linkage but you know from calculations that small seat tube is NOT the best place to take twisting force.

So you run a tube that acts like a brace from the seat tube to the main tube and voila! you have a very good platform for the main rocker pivots and because the shock is almost horizontal with the rocker you have almost opposing forces which in return reduces the stress on the rocker pivots.

But you must bend the downtube to make room for the shock not a bad deal IMHO.

From a structural/engineering point of view it makes a lot of sens.

:banana:time