Quantcast

Sponsorship: Do’s, Do Not’s, and General Etiquette

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by stoney, Jul 26, 2011.

1. stoney Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   1
    I have been cleaning out some old HD's and found this document that I wrote a while back. I don't remember why I wrote it, but surely it was as part of a rant to some grom jumping onto the board about getting sponsorships. Thought it might be worth putting out there again.

The below is another response to a 'cattle call' type team member request that came up on the board a few years ago. This should also be worth re-reading.

Often you will hear about cycling clubs coming with sponsorship agreements and quite often they are great for you, the rider. When a club is setup with this structure the participating companies know that their product will blanket a given region. This is great for getting a foothold in an under developed market. Companies that do this well are Azonic, and Mongoose and GT especially, as well as some tire companies.

Knowing how to approach companies based on what you are looking to do for THEM helps them determine how they would like to work with you.

Remember that the most important part of being a sponsored rider is being professional. Look at the interviews of Aaron Gwin after winning race runs for example. He's thanking his team ("we did a great job today") and his sponsors before he says anything else.

I'm sure I will get some snippy comments, but it might be a good reference for the new riders and racers out there.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Whoops New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Good stuff. Sticky?

(Point 5 has an error.)
  3. stoney Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   1
    good catch. fixed.
  4. cableguy Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I think this qualifies :D

5. sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0

Oakley dumps Alex Prochazka due to Vancouver riot photo

EDIT: 2 seconds too late!
  6. fro biker Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I like this post. Using the Gwin comment as a jump-off point: motocross and pretty much any other sport with that much money invested into it, you will always hear the athlete (participant, driver, whatever) go straight to "we" because yes, their skill got them to the level of being sponsored, but it was the dollar that got them to the event. What Gwin is doing is something rarely seen in our sport - though I'd say a few guys like Peaty (to name one) do this is a more subtle manner, in the sense that the words are, "...the bike was great/thanks to my mechanic/etc.etc". But Gwin's steady use of "we" is definitely something to note in a positive way.
  7. alpine slug New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    indeed

reminds me of discussions on pro deal/bro deal. wise words here.
  8. Mike B. New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Good primer on sponsorship requests. My pet peeve from years of being on the receiving end was despite telling applicants I wanted to know what they were asking for, very few ever came through with any semblance of an idea. Ask for the world or have a modest request but at least have an idea of the support you're looking for and what you can do in return.

Regarding Gwin I'd be willing to bet he picked up a few things from the motocross scene over the years and there's a very good chance that 23 Degrees either provided or sent him for some media training. It's pretty much required for Nascar, motocross, etc. I don't want to pick on Danny Hart because he's young but he's a good example of someone that could really benefit from media training. He has the talent to end up in front of the camera on a regular basis and it's not too pretty right now. The sanctioning bodies and teams should really be helping the riders and themselves by providing the necessary training.
  9. richhouseman Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Mike B.

Just want to clarify that Gwinny is not a 23 degrees managed athlete. He's managed by Team Houseman Racing, and races for TREK World Racing owned by Martin Whitely / 23 degrees.

Also he hasn't attended any official Media Training courses, but is learning on the fly and doing a great job!

You can always get better with it though.

Thanks for the kind words.

Big HOuse
  10. Da Peach Outwitted by a rodent

Rep  |  Likes:
    15   |   14
    Does Danny Hart speak English? Knowwah-ehmeen?
  11. aaronjb Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   2
    You're assuming the UCI and/or USA Cycling have the capacity to do something beneficial for the sport they govern.