Quantcast

Specialized Warranty Question

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
I recently broke my 05 SX trail, on the non driveside chainstay, at the weld between the yoke and chainstay.

I was wondering if i am able to upgrade to a demo8 frame in the warranty process, i've had the SX for 3 months, and i dont want to worry about breaking it again?

also, whats the normal turn around time on the process?
Thanks
Sam

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
they have pretty quick turn arounds. The answer about upgrading to a demo is up to the person you are talking to on the phone. have you called them yet? They are good people and should help you out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Turnaround is fast, like a week or two (at least in my experiences). However, I don't think that you will be able to upgrade to a Demo, but ask the person on the phone.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
all specialized warranties have to go through a dealer. see what the retail is on a demo 8, and if specialized wont let you upgrade, try to get the dealer to order a demo frame for you, and then have you pay the difference between the sx and the demo.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I don't think Specialzed will updgrade your frame, unless they no longer make the frame you broke. I'm knid of surprised that you broke the SX, it seems like a pretty strong bike.

Nonetheless, see if your LBS will work something out with you.

BTW, Specialized's warranty policy is the sh!t...very few compaines offer a lifetime warranty on their frames.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
yeah, i was lucky enough for it to break, my last run, my last day, at the bottem of the hill(going off the marzocchi wallride).
My lbs isnt the nicest, so i dont know what they'll say about the frame trade. SXT frames dont sell alone in the US i dont think. I really loved how nimble that bike was, and i dont want to lose it to a demo8, but i think its what needs to be done. I'll have to build up the D8, lighter.

ill give you an update.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't expect much. Not to be a p*sser, but my last dealing with Specialized on a warranty Big Hit was a very negative experience. I couldn't get even the frame parts warrrantied.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Especially on an '05 frame, Specialized should be all about helping you out. They usually ship the frame at the time of the LBS's claim, before they even have the broken frame in hand. As far as the upgrade though, it's the luck of the draw I would say.

blt2ride said:
.....BTW, Specialized's warranty policy is the sh!t...very few compaines offer a lifetime warranty on their frames.
yeah, whatever. i broke the headtube off my enduro, they said no dice because it looked abused. i am curoius as to how you make a frame minus a headtube not look abused. it was less than 4 months old......

i will never support the big bike companies ever again.......