Quantcast

Specialized says f you to their dealer network

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
How's the COL in Suiza? Still super high?

When Specialized opened their e-bike office there, they had to give all the engineers from the US a raise just so they could afford to live there. And they were coming from Silicon Valley.... :blink:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
yes, bikepark chur, lenzerheide, laax, davos klosters all within a short train ride‘s reach. i already plan my alpine trail ride sundays and the bikepark mondays :banana:
Outside of tourist season the trails are pretty quiet! At least, they used to be.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A buddy said he loved the SpecialEd shoes, so I bought a pair. Fancy BOA and all. Clipless. Not a fan. Shimano shoes ftw.

Anyone want them? Only worn a couple times. Size 11-12 ish in Freedom units.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I kind of hate the idea of destroying competition by forcing dealers to only sell your brand, then destroying dealers by selling direct to consumer, but fucking over LBSs is like industry tradition at this point, so whatever.

Maybe this will mean increased competition from brands that don't sell spec trash? tweel twerks carried BMC last time I was there. Local shop is a trek shop so nothing good. Other local shop, which isn't local at all, is scott and other weird things. I need to go there more often.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Fuck Specialized.

On the other hand, I have zero personal need for a “dealer” or LBS.
I don't really have a need for a LBS anymore either but I did work in them and manage one for many years. The big 3 have always pushed their shit on dealers which in some aspects can benefit the dealer(LBS).
Specialized was the first of the 3 to really do what car makers have done to dealers. The problem is that I am sure there are a ton of shops that just invested a huge amount of money to make a "Specialized Shop" to have Specialized come out and say suck a dick we are selling direct now. All while probably still holding them to their dealer agreement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't really have a need for a LBS anymore either but I did work in them and manage one for many years. The big 3 have always pushed their shit on dealers which in some aspects can benefit the dealer(LBS).
Specialized was the first of the 3 to really do what car makers have done to dealers. The problem is that I am sure there are a ton of shops that just invested a huge amount of money to make a "Specialized Shop" to have Specialized come out and say suck a dick we are selling direct now. All while probably still holding them to their dealer agreement.
the only thing i could think that would work to the dealers favor is how far in advance they have to order their bikes. so theoretically a bike could be sold out online but an LBS would have inventory.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So, how many of you ride specialized?
I do have a stumpy s works which I bought as a frame as my primary trail bike, was never a fan of the big S but kind of now am. Saying this not taking their 'questionable' business practices into account. I really do think they put together some of the most polished product you can find.

- I like the ride of the stumpy platform
- SWAT is a huge selling point for me, having to basically not carry anything on a ride
- My friend owns a shop who is a spec dealer

Waiting to hear what he thinks of all this...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was just in a shop that's a spesh dealer (but also an XC ski shop, the primary purpose of my visit this time). While I was there, I ordered a Spesh tire. I asked what they thought of the whole situation consumer-direct situation. He said it's no big deal, except for receiving items in their orders that contain items people have ordered direct, but had shipped to a store (presumably to avoid paying shipping...). I'm surprised people have the gall to order shit direct but have it shipped to a store. I'm also surprised Spesh is assuming stores are ok becoming warehouses for their goods without any extra compensation. I would assume that will eventually become an issue...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was just in a shop that's a spesh dealer (but also an XC ski shop, the primary purpose of my visit this time). While I was there, I ordered a Spesh tire. I asked what they thought of the whole situation consumer-direct situation. He said it's no big deal, except for receiving items in their orders that contain items people have ordered direct, but had shipped to a store (presumably to avoid paying shipping...). I'm surprised people have the gall to order shit direct but have it shipped to a store. I'm also surprised Spesh is assuming stores are ok becoming warehouses for their goods without any extra compensation. I would assume that will eventually become an issue...
pretty sure if they order online and have shipped to the store, the dealer still gets a cut.

looked it up - yes, that is the case. they get 50% of their usual margin.

also, consumer direct does not apply to electric bikes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
pretty sure if they order online and have shipped to the store, the dealer still gets a cut.

that's good I guess.

but I didn't mention e-bikes...? My back is bad, but not that bad (yet... fingers crossed)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I’ve been ordering spesh tires and accessories directly from their website for years, never stepped in one of their dealerships.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
My last Spesh was one of the Demos with 14 chainstays. It was actually a really fun bike. If I was in the market for a new trail bike, the alloy Stumpy would interest me. I just can’t get by the looks.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
My last Spesh was one of the Demos with 14 chainstays. It was actually a really fun bike. If I was in the market for a new trail bike, the alloy Stumpy would interest me. I just can’t get by the looks.
Just checked out their Mountain Bikes. I just can't get by only 7 bikes with 27.5" wheels and all w/o any rear travel.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Or do people just need to stop riding “big boy sized” reach numbers to jib around on local trails…? Small bikes are still lots of fun on stuff that isn’t “tracks”.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Or do people just need to stop riding “big boy sized” reach numbers to jib around on local trails…? Small bikes are still lots of fun on stuff that isn’t “tracks”.
Could be. I had a Process with 425 chainstays and over 500 reach. I’m 6’2” and couldn’t get comfortable on it at all. It’s been a long while since I’ve ridden anything with a short reach and short chainstays.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005

50% of there margin on a 60.00 tire is only 10-15.00. And the 75% of there Margin on bikes which is only 30-35% is still not great. And from what I have been told it's not real money that Spec is giving them but a credit to be used to by more goods. So they are not cutting a check it's a credit.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I was at the local Spesh dealer, as I spotted bikes to be available via the website. I wanted to order through the store so I could run the deal through my company, as they support bike purchases. (Means the company shells out the sum up front and later they deduct on a monthly basis, and the employee also gets saving on the tax). Now it turned out that what is on the website is only avaialable as direct to consumer, and the stores have no priority on these items. I'm really wondering how this will play out on the long run for both the stores, the customers and Spesh.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I was at the local Spesh dealer, as I spotted bikes to be available via the website. I wanted to order through the store so I could run the deal through my company, as they support bike purchases. (Means the company shells out the sum up front and later they deduct on a monthly basis, and the employee also gets saving on the tax). Now it turned out that what is on the website is only avaialable as direct to consumer, and the stores have no priority on these items. I'm really wondering how this will play out on the long run for both the stores, the customers and Spesh.
It's been that way for a while with the web sales. I placed a frame order through the LBS speshy dealer, they said availability in 3-4 months. Next week the frame showed up as "in stock" on the web store, I asked the dealer and they said their availability was still 3-4 months out. They recommended I order direct form the site if I actually wanted the frame.

So Specialized has been prioritizing the "consumer direct" model long before the announcement, and taking that additional profit happily.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Could not the Shop Refuse those order’s? Fuck You. So Sorry.

Problem is Avy,the Shop has no way of knowing. Wrong or Right?
Avy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Avy
As I recall, the shop guy told me they opened the box and there was stuff in there they had no idea why it was there. Then later on, a guy came to claim his order.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Avy
You assume people know the inner workings. All they did was place an order online on specialized and set their local specialized shop as the pickup point. They might even need help with the whatever they ordered, or pick up something else while they are there.

Don’t care for Specialized, but realize this could make sense for some of the orders.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I can understand the business model, how many are to lazy to go in to buy groceries instead online order and drive over to pick up.

Don't want to talk bikes or be told what they should be buying, order bike they want, don't want it left at the door step to be stolen at their apartment.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You assume people know the inner workings. All they did was place an order online on specialized and set their local specialized shop as the pickup point. They might even need help with the whatever they ordered, or pick up something else while they are there.

Don’t care for Specialized, but realize this could make sense for some of the orders.
My problem is that Spesh Shop,who is in Big Money,does not get a slice of the Pie On these order’s. Fuck Credit,they are due monies. That is one reason they have the shop. Spesh wants it both ways. Smart Scam is all it is. Greed.
Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My problem is that Spesh Shop,who is in Big Money,does not get a slice of the Pie On these order’s. Fuck Credit,they are due monies.
You gotta admit, that part is shear genius.

1645376331829.png

Then, instead of money, they can pay their employees in Spec. water bottles, Spec. tools, Spec. Tires, etc...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You gotta admit, that part is shear genius.

View attachment 172252

Then, instead of money, they can pay their employees in Spec. water bottles, Spec. tools, Spec. Tires, etc...
Yes Sir. What happen’s to All of the Spesh Shop Owner’s? They just get left out in the Rain? Does their Contract stand? Do they have any good new’s? I read One Monkey here has a friend that owns a Spesh shop.
Avy