Quantcast

Sources for Body Armor for a weekend warrior

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I just stopped at the Gravity Warehouse in Southwick, MA tonight to have some work done on my fork and also some work done on the front wheel for my Cheeta Prowler - lost a spoke - it was too short for the rim, hub combination and while there I looked at body armor.

They carry Dianese - but holy crap - that stuff cost more than my frame!! I'm just a weekend warrior and I can't justify spending that much money for armor.

I have knee/shin and wrist/elbow armor already so I'm looking for something to protect my back, shoulders, chest, and kidney without breaking the bank.

Looked at a 661 Assault jacket and wasn't that impressed in terms of bang for the buck and I didn't really like how it zipped up along the side like that.

What are some other options?

Anyone looking to sell some used upper body armor to a 5'9" guy who's getting into DHing??

Thanks.

Mark

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Check out Mace and Hoots, both make short-sleeved upper body armor that should work pretty well with what you've already got for arm and leg protection.

Armor isn't too expensive and it's way cheaper than hospital bills. Dainese is gucci but there are a lot of other options (rockgarden, 661, mace, hoots, fox, etc.)

Used armor is a scary idea to me, it gets pretty funky and the foam can get compressed to the point where it's useless.

If you really want it cheap, pick up some used hockey or football gear. That'll probably distract the competition too!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That zipping up the side thing is supposed to provide more sternum protection. They explained why in detail at Interbike but all I could think about at the time was beer.

661 is probably your best bang for the buck.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
That zipping up the side thing is supposed to provide more sternum protection. They explained why in detail at Interbike but all I could think about at the time was beer.

661 is probably your best bang for the buck.
Perhaps - the Assault jacket then eh?

believe it or not I saw some nice Lacrosse chest and shoulder pads, but it didn't have the spinal protection of the MTB armor - but it was light and built right into a wicking type jersey system.......but it only came down slightly in teh back. probably no good