Quantcast

Soulcraft Convert help (X-post SS forum)

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I'm building a PX Jackflash up singlespeed. I heard great things about the convert so I decided to go that route. I'm running an E.thirteen 36t crownwheel up front, and a 17t surley cog in the back with a KMC chain. We couldn't get the proper tension using the pushing position with the tensioner, so we went to the pulling and that worked well... for about 45 minutes. I was excited I got the new bike all built up finally, so I went out to the Dirt Jumps and hit our wallride twice.

On the second landing, the tensioner acted up and lost all tension. It swung forward like the release button had been pushed. I've since consulted the soulcraft site and even after following their instructions on reinstalling it,no luck. It will stay tensioned and clicked in place until I hit a bump. It's not even a big impact, even a bunny hop or even just landing off a curb while messing around in my driveway will get it to lose tension now.

It seemed to be working fine when I took it out of the shop? I rode it a little in the parking lot and it worked fine. I know I should call soulcraft but I called them three times today with no luck, and I don't want to wait around for monday.

Did I break it already? Are they not ment for DJ/urban abuse(even though it hasn't been working long enough for me to do so)? Could the screw where it threads into the d-hanger be slipping? I thought it was that and maybe I should try some teflon tape. Any one else have this experience? What should I try to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
If it gives you too much of a headache to fix, you might just want to get an older derailleur and use that as a tensioner.

On my chase, I just have an old shimano stx rear der. on there and it works fine

*just looked at the website for that tensioner, I didn't know it didn't use a spring in there to tension the chain.

My friend Derek uses a surly singleator on his hardtail, he uses it for DH and FR. That one uses a spring to tension the chain and he's not had any problems with it.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
NoRoadtrippin said:
dude just stinkin come to the shop and let randy and i fix it....quit going to to gusto or wherever the heck youre taking your bike....
I think I may just do that tomorrow. Randy knows the way of the soulcraft??