Quantcast

Somewhat new DH'r looking for a DH Bike

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So I now live somewhere where I can ride DH trails and be within about 6 hours of whistler. I used to do the freeride thing but stopped years ago and have been doing XC type riding

I am a short guy about 5'6" 160lbs and its time to get a DH bike, I already know the parts I will be running but like the rest of the RM board am debating frames

I know ts a popular debate but was wondering if there is anything else I shiuld take into account being a noob when it comes to DH

considering

- Yeti 303 RDH (have a yeti now and love it)
- Intense 951 (concerned about model changes so often and bad QA)
- Demo 8 (had the 2nd gen bike and loved it but didn't get much time on it)

I have searched and read about these bikes but wondering if some experience riders could help me out here

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Obviously, if you can ride them and compare them, that is your best option. If you can't, here is some food for thought:

This might be bad advice but if those are your top three picks I would keep it simple and cut the list to two right away. Based on your concerns it sounds like you wouldn't have a lot of confidence on the 951 and it is no fun riding if you are constantly worrying. Now, with that being said, you run the risk of cutting out a great frame you really might enjoy. While there is probably more controversy about that frame at the moment (relative to your other picks), I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that there are way more happy 951 owners out there than there are unhappy owners. It is usually the bad news that makes it to the boards first and it tends to skew perceptions in a negative and often times ill-informed way.

I would still lean more towards the Demo or Yeti in your case only because you have first hand experience with those companies (and at least one of their bikes) and your experiences have been positive. So based on that (and again, if you don't have the luxury of trying them), I would lean very heavily towards the Demo 8 because you have ridden it, liked it, and are comfortable on it. Plus, the revised geo seems to be dialed, I have only heard good things about it.

Keep in mind, these are all very different bikes from one another and a lot is going to depend on your riding style and preferences. Don't just focus on the geo numbers, do some research to find out how they ride/suspension characteristics.

Reality is, discussions like these are like splitting hairs. All are great bikes and are well beyond what the average rider can dish out (save the mistakes we make on the bikes). They are all nice but very different from one another. You will probably be happy on any of them and learn to like them given their own unique traits over time.

Last edited:

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Wow..thx for the great reply..always nice to see a well though out educated reply

as for the 951, its more of the model being discontinued quickly like they have been doing lately.

The demo I did love it but also didnt get that much time on it on DH trails it was more a rounded trail bike for me back then although I did have it out on the lifts a few times and enjoyed it.

The Yeti, like I said I have one now, love it, love the quality, love the company and lust for this bike.

They are all 3 different and the demo can be had for much cheaper and with the yeti who knows availability which may play a part in my decision

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
They are all 3 different and the demo can be had for much cheaper and with the yeti who knows availability which may play a part in my decision
Yeah, both are goods points - cost/availability - for consideration. If you are ready to ride now, availability would probably be the highest priority for me. Good luck on the search :thumb:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
as for the 951, its more of the model being discontinued quickly like they have been doing lately.
The 951 is supposed to be a replacement for the socom which I think was introduced sometime in 2006 and phased out in 2009. I'm guessing the 951 will have at least as long of a run.

I think the shortest run so far was the m6, it seemed to only last about 2 years or so.

If having your bike discontinued quickly, or replaced with a new version every few years makes you feel uncomfortable, I would look to other bikes.

If you're looking at the 303, Yeti DH bikes have also had a lot of revisions in the last few years and already have another prototype in the works.

The demo 8 sounds like your bike :thumb:

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I hear you on the 951, I see they also have a m9 in the works

Yeti does also have a new DH bike I saw, I guess its not a huge concern because you never know..I guess Intense bothered me more since their history of changing seems faster to me

The only thing I will see about the demo, It is last on my list...I like it but when I look at the yeti and Intense I get a WOW factor

grant it performance does matter but they all are great performers in their own right so that is somewhat negligible

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Good luck getting a demo any time soon. The new version of the demos ride very differently from the older version. It may be better or worse depending on who you talk to, but it will be different from what yours was.

Of the bikes on your list I would go with the 303. I mean you love the one you have now and they are affordable and available.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
If you can't get any of those frames right now and are open to other options, I know someone who has brand new 2010 Karpiel Discos on sale in all sizes and in several different colors. I would put that frame in a line up with any other high end frame any time.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Hey StunzeeD,
I think RM has turned a mountain into a molehill in regards to Intense discontinuing models. Like Brian said above, the 951 was created to be a bike similar to the socom and SS and get into a more attractive price category than the M-series.

The M6 has just evolved into a newer model after 2 years, something you would expect from any high performance brand, to take the feedback of the customers and racers and make the product better. That being said, there are many happy people on their Socoms, M3's, M6's.

951 will be around for a while, it is our most popular bike ever and it has not even been a year. I repeat, the 951 is not going anywhere.

I do not know where you are at, but drop me an email (contact me through PM) and we can see about getting you a test ride.

Stikman

Last edited:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Hey StunzeeD,
I think RM has turned a mountain into a molehill in regards to Intense discontinuing models.
I think it's the whole blowing your frames out SUPER cheap with no warning, making dealers and people that just spent thousands on new intenses really unhappy. I understand times get tough and you have to generate cashflow, but I think that is the difference between the reaction to you guys, versus say, Turner in regards to discontinuing old bikes and coming in with the new.

I'm not an Intense hater, I bought a 951, but I almost bought a frame I wasn't nearly as excited about because of this issue.