Quantcast

Somebody in my office just handed me a ****ing prayer card

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
There is no god. I sucked it up took it with a "oh thank you" then as soon as she sat down i threw it away.
How many people in America who believe in go no matter what religion they are can actually understand and accept that i don’t believe in god and i have the right not to believe in got and I’m not some wacko because i don’t. I've been around i bet the number is only about 25% and I’m probably being optimistic about that number.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by The Toninator
There is no god. I sucked it up took it with a "oh thank you" then as soon as she sat down i threw it away.
How many people in America who believe in go no matter what religion they are can actually understand and accept that i don’t believe in god and i have the right not to believe in got and I’m not some wacko because i don’t. I've been around i bet the number is only about 25% and I’m probably being optimistic about that number.
May god have mercy on your soul but in the meantime those cards make handy toothpics. :D

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
What did you get for Christmas this year?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
If your point is that in order to celebrate Xmas, we must beleive in God, well then a big BS on that one buddy. It can be about whatever you want. Spending time with friends and family. Expressing love for those that are close to you. Drinking yourself into a stupor if thats your thing.

I'd make a little cone out of the card and poke them in the eye with it.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
If your point is that in order to celebrate Xmas, we must beleive in God, well then a big BS on that one buddy. It can be about whatever you want. Spending time with friends and family. Expressing love for those that are close to you. Drinking yourself into a stupor if thats your thing.

I'd make a little cone out of the card and poke them in the eye with it.
Looks like you celebrate Xmas, not Christmas. Big difference there, as you have taken Christ out of the equation.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I participate in Christmas with my family to respect their beliefs.
I guess my biggest issue with the card is the offending person has no idea what i believe and i just view these things as Christian propaganda and don’t want to be bothered with it.

< edit and i believe it does not belong in the work place. >

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Looks like you celebrate Xmas, not Christmas. Big difference there, as you have taken Christ out of the equation.
christ has nothing to do with christmas the date that was chosen was to bring pegan followers into the fold.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I participate in Christmas with my family to respect their beliefs.
I guess my biggest issue with the card is the offending person has no idea what i believe and i just view these things as Christian propaganda and don’t want to be bothered with it.
I'd tell the offending person about it as a first warning. Then start making Satan/Athiest (better yet, Church of Rotating Mass :thumb: ) cards and pass them on if it doesn't stop.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
christ has nothing to do with christmas the date that was chosen was to bring pegan followers into the fold.
Actually the date was chosen because there were essentially, no religous holidays in the middle of winter, supposedly Jesus was born sometime in July. Give the Germans credit for that one.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I'd tell the offending person about it as a first warning. Then start making Satan/Athiest (better yet, Church of Rotating Mass:thumb:) cards and pass them on if it doesn't stop.
but I’m not an atheist nor do i believe in Satan that would be as bad as the holy roller peddling her propaganda on me

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Actually the date was chosen because there were essentially, no religous holidays in the middle of winter, supposedly Jesus was born sometime in July. Give the Germans credit for that one.
actually The pagans had a celebration during the shortest days of the year as an offering to their gods to bring the long warm days of summer sooner.

Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by Tenchiro
If you don't beleive in god, then your an athiest.
no that's not true. I dont know anything about what athiest believe or do not believe in. I just dont believe in god.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...people trying to convert you, but why are you so angry about it? I am a practicing Christian and also get tired of Jehovahs Witnesses, etc. trying to lure me to their particular brand, but no more so than if anyone else shows up at my front door or calls me on the phone to peddle something unsolicited. I think George Carlin did the funniest skit ever on this topic and have laughed at many a Simpsons episode which lampoons religion. It's not as if the person was screaming at you and telling you that you'll burn in the everlasting fires of Hell. If you aren't into it, that's cool, but I guess I don't understand why some of the responses are so ascerbic.:confused:

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Atheism

Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial. It is rooted in an array of philosophical systems. Ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Epicurus argued for it in the context of materialism. In the 18th cent. D. Hume and I. Kant, though not atheists, argued against traditional proofs for God's existence, making belief a matter of faith alone. Atheists such as L. Feuerbach held that God was a projection of human ideals and that recognizing this fiction made self-realization possible. Marxism exemplified modern materialism. Beginning with F. Nietzsche, existentialist atheism proclaimed the death of God and the human freedom to determine value and meaning. Logical positivism holds that propositions concerning the existence or nonexistence of God are nonsensical or meaningless.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Unbelievable that you are really that bothered by this. I get all kinds of crap from my co-workers everyday that I really don't want. I could be an intolerant jackass, make a big deal go to the boss and get it stopped.

OR I can simply delete or sh$tcan those things that I find offensive, insensitive, against my beliefs or whatever and move along.

Now of course if it really does attack your sensibilities, it is up to YOU to go to the boss and get it stopped.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Atheism

blablabla....
#1. I need cliff notes.
#2. I don’t belong to a group of people. I just don’t believe. That does not make me an atheist. Once you realize you don’t have to live under "tags" by other peoples views you will set your self free.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
#1. I need cliff notes.
#2. I don’t belong to a group of people. I just don’t believe. That does not make me an atheist. Once you realize you don’t have to live under "tags" by other peoples views you will set your self free.
Not beleiving in god makes you an athiest like living in Houston makes you a Texan.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
It is just the way our language works. 'A' is the latin prefix meaning without and 'Theist' is "one hwo believes in the existence of a god or gods".

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I dont except that. it's a religious tag.
Why wouldn't you accept it? It's what you are! When describing your belief to people, its easier to say: "Atheist" than to say:
"I don't beleive in a god, gods, angels, demons, satyrs, griffins, zombies, vampires, devils, mordauts, giants, mordicants, kraken, yeti, dragon, hydra, centaur, minotaur, imp, ghost, goblin, wyrm, couatl, elemental, djinn, genie, or any other body that represents religion or mysticism when used to represent religion or mysticism."

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Why wouldn't you accept it? It's what you are! When describing your belief to people, its easier to say: "Atheist" than to say:
"I don't beleive in a god, gods, angels, demons, satyrs, griffins, zombies, vampires, devils, mordauts, giants, mordicants, kraken, yeti, dragon, hydra, centaur, minotaur, imp, ghost, goblin, wyrm, couatl, elemental, djinn, genie, or any other body that represents religion or mysticism when used to represent religion or mysticism."
To religious people you are an atheist. To everybody else you are just you.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Tenchiro
It is just the way our language works. 'A' is the latin prefix meaning without and 'Theist' is "one hwo believes in the existence of a god or gods".
Exactly. And the acient romans and greeks were polytheists. Anyone seeing the pattern?

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
It would be worse if she didnt give you that card, think about it for a minute, atleast she care's about you to give it to you in the first place, she care's about your sole, so whats so wrong about that! If you dont like it then just move on, trash the card and forget about it. If people dont try to reach out to help, well that seems to me to be more of a crime against humanity than your "so called" crime of recieving the card in the first place. It cant be that offensive, I get crap from the net all the time, but I dont let it bother me. In her eye's or the eye's of a Christain, she is reaching out to you to offer something that will benefit you, if you dont belive that way, atleast look at it that she care's in her own way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by BlackhillsBob
It would be worse if she didnt give you that card, think about it for a minute, atleast she care's about you to give it to you in the first place, she care's about your sole, so whats so wrong about that! If you dont like it then just move on, trash the card and forget about it. If people dont try to reach out to help, well that seems to me to be more of a crime against humanity than your "so called" crime of recieving the card in the first place. It cant be that offensive, I get crap from the net all the time, but I dont let it bother me. In her eye's or the eye's of a Christain, she is reaching out to you to offer something that will benefit you, if you dont belive that way, atleast look at it that she care's in her own way.
I wonder if she or God really cares about my sole