Quantcast

Some of the rarer DH companies...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No one mentioned Nicolai. Not made in North Amurica but still high quality and rare.

I like that Cortina. I've always wanted one of those Cortina Avalanche team bikes.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Foes
Chumba (although I'm not sure if they're still making DH bikes)
Ventana (not producing DH bikes right now, but you may be able to get one built using their full custom program)

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Says the buddy that is constantly hemmoraging money into CL piles with no resale... Do you actually ride bikes, or just talk about them on the internet?

Please explain to me how the FTW or GG is a better designed or manufactured bike than the Iron Horse. Other than some guy who lives in the United States welded it.
Yakuza was the budget option, to the Sunday. Manufactured in same factory (except WC models) and designed by same designer that gives you all e-boners. Taiwanese Sundays are pretty much most durable DH bike evar. I've never seen a broken Yakuza, and know of several that get ridden hard. Most, however, have lived in the garage, collecting dust.

I am very familiar with FTW, Yeti, Homegrowns, Spooky, T1, etc. That was a different time: pre-heat treat days. Heat treating is a lot more complicated than most people know, and you don't pull it off in a garage.

I think Santa Cruz is totally missing the ball, not offering an updated Super 8, simple single pivot with good geo, for $1500 or so. I guess the industry has decided, DH frames start at $2000+.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
All i can say, is knolly is ****ing awesome.

Used to be made by Sapa, when that closed they were unfortunately in the middle of trying to produce their new line, and moved to over seas production.

However, there has never been a company that i have had better customer service and company-client relations with. You can call, and talk to noel. The last bike i ordered from them i talked with the owner from start to finish over countless emails and over the phone. Bike came perfect and in a timely manner. never a single issue. EVER.

Pro: Small Canadian company, Canadian employees, Close relationships with clients
Con: Made in Asia

Devinci is a larger brand, but their high end aluminium is 100% sourced and built in canada.

Pro: 100% Canadian made start to finish, Canadian Emplyees.
Cons: Larger company with dealer networks, reps, ect

GG fills the total small function company you're looking for.

Pro: USA all the way, Merica
Cons: New company

I would look at one of those 3, and decide what factor you can't live without.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've checked out the brand new Made in Taiwan Podium and the GG/DH and they're both very well built.
Remember that any new company can and will make refinements and show some continuous improvements as they get their sh!t together. To use the Knolly as an example, look at the first Podium and compare it to the current frame. Same, but so different.

I ride a round-tube DHR and have been tossing around the idea of "what next". In as much as I'd love to have a frame and support a company who manufactures in this country, it isn't a deal breaker if the best choice happens to be made overseas.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Do you have any evidence of that? I see none on his site?

As far as I can tell, he has mostly switched to cro-mo, because it doesn't require heat treat.

All his old Yeti/Homegrown/Spooky stuff was 7005, where it was acceptable in those days to have no post weld. 15 years makes a difference.

Can you build a non-heat treated aluminum bike that works? Yes. Is a modern heat treated bike going to be more durable, lighter, stronger? Yes.

There is no way I would buy a heavier, weaker product, for more money, just cause it's made in the states. That's just me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

As far as I can tell, he has mostly switched to cro-mo, because it doesn't require heat treat.

All his old Yeti/Homegrown/Spooky stuff was 7005, where it was acceptable in those days to have no post weld. 15 years makes a difference.

Can you build a non-heat treated aluminum bike that works? Yes. Is a modern heat treated bike going to be more durable, lighter, stronger? Yes.

There is no way I would buy a heavier, weaker product, for more money, just cause it's made in the states. That's just me.

he doesn't have any evidence on his website that he uses a ruler either, are you going to accuse him of eyeballing tube lengths?

he works mostly in steel these days because the majority of the frames he's building are customs.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Says the buddy that is constantly hemmoraging money into CL piles with no resale... Do you actually ride bikes, or just talk about them on the internet?

Please explain to me how the FTW or GG is a better designed or manufactured bike than the Iron Horse. Other than some guy who lives in the United States welded it.
Yakuza was the budget option, to the Sunday. Manufactured in same factory (except WC models) and designed by same designer that gives you all e-boners. Taiwanese Sundays are pretty much most durable DH bike evar. I've never seen a broken Yakuza, and know of several that get ridden hard. Most, however, have lived in the garage, collecting dust.
Listen, you kashima coated internet troll, there's a big difference between frames aside from suspension design and factory. I know that's hard to believe, but alloy, structural design, shock size, shock hardware, headtube design, bearing size, geometry...and more, actually play a part in how a frame rides and wears. If you don't believe me, I'll send you my yakuza that's sitting on my basement floor. It has no less than five cracks in it. On on each side of the swing arm shock mount, one on each side of the seatpost tower, and another one behind the headtube. If you have seen any of those bikes recently, you would have seen a crack at the rear shock mount, and there's a good chance you'd see at least one at the seat tower. Almost every yakuza I've seen in a parking lot shows at least one of those cracks. You know why? They were designed poorly. I wish that I had spent the money I wasted on the yakuza on a real frame.

So yeah, maybe there's actually something to a frame design besides cramming an acceptable suspension design into the cheapest manufacturing process possible.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

I heard he heat treats his frames by sticking them up your tight ass.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Please explain to me how the FTW or GG is a better designed or manufactured bike than the Iron Horse.
Material and weld quality. He uses better aluminum, no question about that. I don't think I need to defend his welding skills.

Also there are lots of little things that these guys do better. Example: the giant glory (and trek session since they make it) has it cable stops torch brazed on instead of welded. These companies also use cheaper paints/powdercoats. Tolerances are probably tighter too. Making a frame isn't just slapping a few tubes together.

S
I am very familiar with FTW, Yeti, Homegrowns, Spooky, T1, etc. That was a different time: pre-heat treat days. Heat treating is a lot more complicated than most people know, and you don't pull it off in a garage.

I hear FTW is in house-ing his heat treatments. He has a special process with his wife's oven!!

I think Santa Cruz is totally missing the ball, not offering an updated Super 8, simple single pivot with good geo, for $1500 or so. I guess the industry has decided, DH frames start at $2000+.
Totally agree. One of those big brands just needs to come up with a GG/FTW/whatever single pivot design copy and make it cheap. There's no reason they can't make a quality frame for way cheaper than a boutique brand.

L....O.....L.... I don't see specialized heat treat process or aluminum alloys listed on their site either. They must be secretly switching to steel!

But yes, I can assure you 100% he heat treats his aluminum. I can tell you because I had to wait for my damn frame to get back from them once!

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Man, this thread makes my head hurt. But for what it's worth, my round-tube, non-dw, Turner DHR is still the only DH frame I've not managed to break within a two year window. I'd have no qualms about durability on those.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Turner hasn't made a truly "durable" DH frame since their square tube DHR's.
Last I checked (and on this particular manufacturer my checking is better than your checking) the ones they've been making for the last 2 years or so haven't seen a single one fail. That first run with the headtubes was it.

And just a reminder, a run of the 05 square tubers all cracked at the shock mounts. Not the ones before and not the ones after but not all of those were the same.

Those new bikes are bomber as shlt.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Last I checked (and on this particular manufacturer my checking is better than your checking) the ones they've been making for the last 2 years or so haven't seen a single one fail. That first run with the headtubes was it.
I have no insider knowledge, but was going to say that after that first batch, I have not heard of one failing. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but there aren't too many bikes in widespread use that that can be said for.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

And just a reminder, a run of the 05 square tubers all cracked at the shock mounts. Not the ones before and not the ones after but not all of those were the same.

Those new bikes are bomber as shlt.
I've seen a bunch of them failing in the front triangles. Which surprised me actually. I would have pegged the rear triangle to get ripped apart on that thing.

The square tubed ones would break, but it would take a LOT of abuse to do it. I'm aware of one that got re-welded back into service at least twice. Got many many years of life out of that bike.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Wraith and rompah stompah are 2 small frame makers here in the northeast that are really cool. The rompah is pretty much a steel version of the bullet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Note to all dhr owners: don't hang out with hacktastic

dhr poison! :D

I didn't even think there were that many out there.

anyway: if you really want off the radar, those GG frames look pretty damn cool

I still want to ride one.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Note to all dhr owners: don't hang out with hacktastic

dhr poison! :D

I didn't even think there were that many out there.

anyway: if you really want off the radar, those GG frames look pretty damn cool

I still want to ride one.
Tons in SoCal, brah.

The GG frames look nice. Simple, effective.

I really want to like those Knolly frames, but I just can't get over the two redundant links thing. Just seems like such an afterthought.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither the GG or FTW is heat treated is it?
You are wrong with regards to GG frames. :D

Seriously, though, that's only one of a thousand details that matter when designing and manufacturing a DH frame that can survive the pounding that they go through. You'd be better off gluing strain gauges on the frame in high stress areas and comparing the results to an S-N curve for the the material used. Other than that, you can't really tell by just looking at a frame, or asking about the heat treat.

Last edited:

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
Turner DHR, you won't regret it, ever. Who else honors a warranty if you're not the original owner or will rebuild or recycle your old frame and give you credit towards a new one?

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Well, ****, apologies. I checked out your website, and you tout all the local vendors you work with..."To make our fabrication processes happen, we work with several local machine shops, a tube bending shop, our local welder, and several testing facilities. "
Nothing in there about heat treat. May want to add that info to the site.

What kind of fixtures do you use for the HT? I imagine that must really limit production.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
agree with sentimental values of local brand (just like my R2Q5), but IMO frame is approx only 20% of total bike cost, so the big chunk of money goes to shocks, forks and components, and its made in EARTH so don't worry to much.. you'll end up with major (global) brands anyways, componentzwise...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I thought aluminum was virtually un-rideable without being heat treated?

Anyway, my vote is the GG DH, especially with that lengthy large around the corner- sounds like it meets your requirements quite well, assuming its long enough.

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Depends on the alloy. 6000 series requires it, 7000 series can go without. If you remember the days of small, garage shop aluminum bikes: they were are 7000 series bikes.