Quantcast

Sombrio shoes

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Has anyone worn Sombrio shoes long enough to form an opinion?
I've had my 5.10 Rennies now for 4 seasons. Surprisingly, they still have plenty of life in them but I think it's time for me to try something new.
The sombrio shoes are going for a good price right now and I definitely wouldn't mind supporting a Canadian company!

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Has anyone worn Sombrio shoes long enough to form an opinion?
I've had my 5.10 Rennies now for 4 seasons. Surprisingly, they still have plenty of life in them but I think it's time for me to try something new.
The sombrio shoes are going for a good price right now and I definitely wouldn't mind supporting a Canadian company!

Shoe companies are improving but no one is as good as 5/10 shoes.

Dirt Eater

Chimp
May 13, 2013
I have worn the Shazam's since mid-summer '12. Other than being a little hot and dirty, they show barely any wear n' tear. The pins on my Straitline's have no done any damage to the sole other than leaving minor indentations on the outside edges. I've never worn 5.10s so can't compare grip but Sombrios are better than the Vans Gravel in terms of grip & not being damaged. I'd buy another pair if/when they wear out. Some of the stitching isn't so pretty but none of it has come undone.

Dirt Eater

Chimp
May 13, 2013
Forgot to mention that I just ride trails, no real DH. The Sombrio's have a sturdy sole so if standing a lot for pedaling isn't an issue. Also not sure how they would stand up to regular crashing. I would think they'd hold up fairly well..

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I've had the sombrio high tops for about 6 months or more, so far holding up pretty good, and prefare them to the 5 10 impacts as there a lot lighter especially when wet, they dont seem to act like a sponge like the 5 10s either. Grip wise there up there with the 5 10 freeriders that they replaced. They seem to be holding up pretty well after a fair bit of trail riding over a muddy winter.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have been using the shazam's since last season (rode them for trail this winter). IMO they are the best shoes out there. I rode impacts for a long time prior and always found them 'too sticky' absolutely hated having to pick up my foot for small adjustments. The sombrio's solve all problems for me, they are light on the foot for walking and casual wear, sticky enough to stay planted, and have a lace cover for function. Can't say enough good things about them...

Styling is also top notch, not really down with the 5.10 look as of late...

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Sweet as
How's the fit on the shoes? True to size? Snug or loose?
Now, how are they for hiking up trails? I've actually done some full day hikes in my Rennies because I don't actually own hiking shoes, and I've found them to be pretty decent.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't worry about Shimano, they are ****.

I am now on the BMX sole 5-10's and they are pretty cool, not as grippy as the normal 5-10 but as the soles of the shoes have small deeper cylindrical tread(like Duffs) and it locks between pins but for some reason re-adjusting your foot position is easier. I like mine but I did have to fit a decent innersole as the factory one is flat and has no arch support compared to the original 5-10 DH shoe.

Dirt Eater

Chimp
May 13, 2013
Lace covers are stitched on one side. Seems like I've seen a photo with the lace cover not being as wide now? Guess those would be the '13 or '14 models.

Fit is good; I wear 11D in boots but I went with 11.5D for a little extra room & they're just fine with just a little wiggle room. With Vans, I wear a 12- I wear the Gravels for everyday wear.

I've only had to hike my trails long distance in the Shazam's once or twice & they were ok. Ended up with a small blister but that was from a hole in my sock..