Quantcast

So what the hell is going on at Wintergreen?

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I have seen some threads on here about it, but I'm not from around here and I guess just didn't get the full story on it.

Just recently pirate, curious and I were looking at some pictures (Thanks Castle) and it just looks like a super fun place, and I'm thinkin we'd try and get up this summer. It'd be about a 5 1/2 hour drive from here.. so what's going on? What happened? And would it still be worth it?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
who the hell knows?

If I were you I'd just wait a few weeks and see what materializes. We'll have a better sense of what's going on before too long....right now nobody knows anything, even the WG people apparently....

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Exactly. Read the threads that already exist, and just wait a couple of weeks.

Those who are in the know are sure to update everyone ASAP with all the relevant information when it comes to light.

Chill.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Peete
That will really suck if WG shuts down for the summer. Then I'll have to visit family in Va for legitimate reasons:angry: :( :D
nah, I'm pretty sure they'll be open. The $64 question is, will it be as good as in the past?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Originally posted by Cancer Dragon
Alright. What would cause it to be worse this year? Is Wintergreen switching management or what?
The people that originally built hte trails may not be allowed back on the mountain to fix up the trails and workers at the mountain will work on the trails and if they dont know as much as the original builders it wont be upto par.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Originally posted by mobius
The people that originally built hte trails may not be allowed back on the mountain to fix up the trails and workers at the mountain will work on the trails and if they dont know as much as the original builders it wont be upto par.
Thank you. For this whole time I've been hearing people moan and groan about how much wintergreen's gonna suck this year and guess I'll have to go to snowshoe this year and I never knew what was going on.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by BigMike
Just to start more rumors and heresay....

I heard today from someone that some people at WG said Mecca might be torn down. That would suck.

I dont really beleive this... but if it infact did happened i would not even consider going back there.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
hmm BigMike I hadn't heard anything about anyone tearing anything down, that would really suck!

I just know at the end of last season the boys weren't allowed on the hill to do any work and the trails were falling apart, I have had friends tell me that have been up there to walk the trails that they are in horrible shape.

Some of the stunts were built 2 years ago, some of them may need to be torn down and rebuilt before heavy riding commences this season.. If that doesn't happen (rebuilt), I wont be there either!

edit: if they ripped down the stunts, they wouldn't have a mtb program? That wouldn't happen! I say that because that's where part of the fascinatoin with those trails come from. People want to ride that stuff.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I think if they don't let the boys back on the hill by opening day, we alll as riders need to set a date/time to go speak with these folks! We are the customer who pay to access and ride these trails!

B

bikerdave69

yes yes...calling and talking to WG about working on the trails would be a great thing.:help:..just try to get ahold of hurman Resorces, calling OOB's you will most likely just get what you know already...loggers is open and A side opens May 8th..so HR your more likely to get a more positive outcome for you the ridder ..please dont think down on me, ( and i hope my boos doesn't read this) im kinda afread to butt in about working on the A side to much :nope: cause i dont want to make the bad moves that other bikers that have worked at OOB's and be too.." Biking is the only thing that matters" and then they stop working for us...cause really on the weekends in the morning when you guys come in thats the story..but the rest of the 6 hours we are open...all those play ground things around OOB's are what make the money...so thats whats important to WG for the most part... but i do know they do look at MTB'n as a great thing for the resort.. ( i think) :confused:
the only problem i can see is that OOB's cant get a day without reservations to just work on trails...so we get under staffed and have to man the ship instead of heading ashore to do work...till may or so we aren't aloud to break bugget..so it seems from my point of view that very week "next week" is when we start working on trails. but this has been the story for the past three weeks..so maybe if you all croud the phone lines with questions and complaint..breaking buget and getting into the woods ASAP may become a reality instead of a umm i hope we start working soon...
so dont look down on the crew at the mountain just cause the guys that built all the stuff may not be helping.( or just pray alot of you dont want to trust us just yet :nopity: )..if there needs to be rebuilding...yes that can happen...and it will be up to all your standers...just going in there and building new stunts wont happen...i've never really build't anything big..but i know that taking somthing down and then putting back together is easy..but i dont think you'll find any new man maid stunts on A side till next year.cause that takes a little more skill.... but i do think there will be a few new trails with rock drops and log'y stuff happening....dont give up on us yet...we are getting there...

if im gonig to be real....A side from the work i see is happening right now wont be 100% till mid- late May.. :mad: .but maybe by calling WG and giving your piece of mind ( in a nice way) May 8th ( or May 15th for you guys going to the nut on the 8th) will have the mountain back from the dead....i'll give more updates next week when we start working on A side and checking stunts, cleaning, and giving A side a make-over..so till my next up-date... this is bikerdave signing off

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
ya, i tried running it through the dialectizer, and it makes sense as 'swedish chef'. i think he's trying to tell us something about squirrels on the mountain and making a stew?

yes yes. Um gesh dee bork, bork!..celleeng und telkeeng tu VG ebuoot vurkeeng oon zee treeels vuoold be-a a greet theeng...joost try tu get ehuld ooff hoormun Resurces, celleeng OoOB's yuoo veell must leekely joost get vhet yuoo knoo elreedy. Bork bork bork!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Come on guys, at least he's trying to help out. Even if he says he doesnt know a whole lot about trailbuilding, hes still trying to get things done and get us involved. Sure, the post may have been long and drawn out, but give the kid a break

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'm not putting the kid down, I'm just trying to figure out what he's saying. I honestly couldn't make any sense of what he wrote.

Hopefully there's some good news in all that jibberish:p :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by BigMike
Come on guys, at least he's trying to help out. Even if he says he doesnt know a whole lot about trailbuilding, hes still trying to get things done and get us involved. Sure, the post may have been long and drawn out, but give the kid a break
i agree wholeheartedly mike. ever since this guy started posting he has been bashed and thats it. time will prove the results and fruits of everyones labor regardless of who is laboring. the guy has been honest about his knowledge and is trying to help and sounds genuinely excited to be a part of everything.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by rideLIKEjehu
i'm just being a jerk

corey!a jerk!never!:D :cool:

glad to see you will be attending the sprawl again instead of that lame ass dh race. it is gonna be wayyyyy different from last year.let me know if'n ya need a place to crash.

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
ya, i definitely want to place a reservation at the wiggins estate. i'd prefer a comfy couch or floor, but i'll be packing a tent n bag if things get crowded...

i am soooo looking forward to that weekend!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
im in an apartment now in black mountain. next town over from asheville. i got a full length couch and crazy room for bikes and people. 2 bedroom apt. all by myself. one room is the gear room. if any other monkeys need a place let me know. i can be DD as well ill just cut myself off early. is goosemagoo gonna make it? does he still even exist? oh and i got my canon powershot g-5 camera today along with a 512 megabyte card so mad photos will be taken this year.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by rideLIKEjehu

ben, you're the hostess with the mostess. haven't really heard from steve since last year. i'm in like flynn.

bwahahahaha that picture is awesome!