Quantcast

So now that...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Everything is resolved, I'll share what happened back in August.

I was going straight had the right of way and was halfway through the intersection, a lady in a red Jeep Grand Cherokee, doesn't yield when making a left turn and nails me, sending me flying with the whole slow motion feeling. Didn't have anytime to react. Stayed conscious the whole time. Knew to tuck the arms and roll. As soon as I stopped rolling, I got up and walked to the corner with the bike. Right shoulder felt messed up.

People were were on the scene immediately and police were there within seconds, same intersection the town police are located, she got cited for careless driving. Since I'm on blood thinners for a couple of blood clotting mutations and the bracelet got ripped off in the crash, had to tell someone to get something to put on my left leg immediately since I had a 10" gash in my left leg and was bleeding pretty profusely. Called parents while waiting for the emt's to arrive, needed someone to pick the bike up and meet me in the hospital. Didn't realize that I had busted my left hand up for the 3rd time until I was being wheeled into the ER, where the first thing done was to get a cat scan to make sure there was no concussion, which there wasn't, then they went and did xrays, finding I busted the humorous at the joint up by the shoulder, busted left hand, then came the stitches and staples.

4 stitches in lip, 15 stitches and 42 staples in left leg. Was complaining of discomfort in my right knee and elbow, which became extreme pain when moving either just a hair. The elbow got looser the 2nd evening. They wanted to put a sling on the arm, but I refused, it hurt more to have it up like that than it did keeping it straight at my side. The third day my right knee started to get more flexible.

Got released on the 4th day, but was confined to a walker for a couple of weeks. When the staples came out I started to do some light pedaling. You guys were correct, I am indeed getting a new bike, fork was bent, both wheels were bent beyond repair, frame cracked in two spots. Only things salvageable were the cranks, seatpost and saddle and the drivetrain. All my gear except for socks and shoes were trashed and somehow managed to get no road rash.

I've gone through this intersection thousands of times without incident and am always careful, just had someone who wasn't paying attention hit me. I've been back on the mtb for about 2 months now.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn that sucks. But at the end of the day, you're alive and riding your bike again.

Hopefully you are compensated for what you lost.

Pics?