Quantcast

So is anyone freaking out about hurricane Irene?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After our ice storm in 1998, people were without power for a lot longer than that. Closer to two months...

that's because all the gerbils and hamsters that spin the wheels froze to death

i live in a condo complex in inland NJ too, its not scum that you have to worry about, its the pure amount of batsh!t crazy that can sneak up on you at any time.
i seem to recall you mentioned exactly where you live... and you're not terribly far from me. i live near short hills mall.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
All kidding aside (and the kidding is all welcome obv), there is a strong chance southern New England is going to get hammered by this thing. Wife and I are bracing for possible power loss, but we're not getting all armageddon-ready.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
If we can handle earthquakes we can handle a hurricane. Kinda.....

The models change so much, right now my area The Hudson Valley is set up for a pretty good hit but I'll believe it 24hrs before it happens.
Look at you East coaster's thinking you're all tough now because you experienced a mild earthquake.:D

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i seem to recall you mentioned exactly where you live... and you're not terribly far from me. i live near short hills mall.
i am souf of you. i actually have farms in my town.

[local speak] i live between new brunswick and bound brook, so i guarantee that my town is going to be well under water in spots.[/local speak]

i know my most local trails will be well under water (like feet under water) if this thing dumps what it can on us.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
All kidding aside (and the kidding is all welcome obv), there is a strong chance southern New England is going to get hammered by this thing. Wife and I are bracing for possible power loss, but we're not getting all armageddon-ready.
I have no idea what the geography up there is, but if you live near the coast a few things I would suggest...

Gas up BOTH your cars and buy yourselves a few gas cans and fill them up too. 2 days after Wilma in South Florida I left for Tampa (300 miles away). In Tampa I couldnt find a gas container to purchase. Home Depot/Lowes you name it were OUT. I was smart enough to go to a "Race shop" and find 2 left before I had to head back for work. The biggest problem that lingered for a few weeks was getting gas. Between the supply chain being disrupted and power being out to gas stations, as soon as the power came on to a station and they had gas you were sitting in line for hours to fill up.
A power converter that works off your car was a good thing to have too. Since we had gas, sitting/sleeping in the air conditioned car was always welcome. Being without AC in SFL sucked.
Make sure you have gas for your grill too, cold spaghettio's are only good the first time you have to eat them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i am souf of you. i actually have farms in my town.

[local speak] i live between new brunswick and bound brook, so i guarantee that my town is going to be well under water in spots.[/local speak]

i know my most local trails will be well under water (like feet under water) if this thing dumps what it can on us.
yea, i'm not looking forward to how much damage there will be to 6mr. u wanna ride there saturday morning? if we get the full brunt of the storm, i wouldn't be surprised if it isn't rideable again until next year.

You can't see it because you're too close to it. But we see it. Oh....we see it...
your feeble canadian brain cannot grasp the reality that there are nice parts of NJ.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Oh and dont forget if you get hit, not only will you not have power, but neither will the cell phone towers etc etc. And once they do come on line, again its like a flood gate everyone trying to make phone calls or surf the interwebs at once. The first 2 days we were lucky if you could get a phone call through a wireless carrier.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
yea, i'm not looking forward to how much damage there will be to 6mr. u wanna ride there saturday morning? if we get the full brunt of the storm, i wouldn't be surprised if it isn't rideable again until next year.
no kidding, if its bad, 6mr will be destroyed. i would totally be down for a ride. what time? i'm usually out at the buttcrack of dawn.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I guess its starting to freak my Virginia Beach friends out. People cancelling trips, buying a lot from Home Depot. I keep telling them a .45 and canned food is all you need, maybe a .223 if you live in a bad neighborhood.

I miss New Orleans...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As soon as hurricane season is over you can buy like-new generators for cheap around here. People realize the loud racket for days and $100 in gas isn't worth saving $50 worth of food. A common question after the outage is "How do I hook this generator to my house AC?"... Yeah, seriously. Luckily these same dumbasses go out and grievously injure themselves with their brand new chainsaw shortly after asking, so it's a self-solving problem.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The phone thing was the biggest pain in the ass after Katrina. I kept my 504 number so my clients/friends/family could still find me, but it would take on average 20 attempts to get a call through to my ex-wife. Even when we got to Nevada the cells didn't work for **** because the system didn't update our location due to our area codes.

I remember the drive to San Antonio was uncomfortable. People looking all crazy animal and kind of like half in attack, half in run away mode. Reminds me, time to buy more guns.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As soon as hurricane season is over you can buy like-new generators for cheap around here. People realize the loud racket for days and $100 in gas isn't worth saving $50 worth of food. A common question after the outage is "How do I hook this generator to my house AC?"... Yeah, seriously. Luckily these same dumbasses go out and grievously injure themselves with their brand new chainsaw shortly after asking, so it's a self-solving problem.
I think generators are most useful (read: necessary) in the winter months to prevent loss of heat and subsequent freezing and bursting pipes. The ice storm we had here in NE was a perfect example of that.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think generators are most useful (read: necessary) in the winter months to prevent loss of heat and subsequent freezing and bursting pipes. The ice storm we had here in NE was a perfect example of that.
Yep, we had a generator when I lived in NH. It wasn't to keep the food in our 'fridge from spoiling, or to power our media center. It was so when it was down in the single digits, we could keep some heat going.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
With a suicide cord!

(don't try this at home)

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I have no idea what the geography up there is, but if you live near the coast a few things I would suggest...

Gas up BOTH your cars and buy yourselves a few gas cans and fill them up too. 2 days after Wilma in South Florida I left for Tampa (300 miles away). In Tampa I couldnt find a gas container to purchase. Home Depot/Lowes you name it were OUT. I was smart enough to go to a "Race shop" and find 2 left before I had to head back for work. The biggest problem that lingered for a few weeks was getting gas. Between the supply chain being disrupted and power being out to gas stations, as soon as the power came on to a station and they had gas you were sitting in line for hours to fill up.
A power converter that works off your car was a good thing to have too. Since we had gas, sitting/sleeping in the air conditioned car was always welcome. Being without AC in SFL sucked.
Make sure you have gas for your grill too, cold spaghettio's are only good the first time you have to eat them.
THIS,

I lived in south florida when Andrew came through and we prepared.Alot of people didn't. Load up yer firearms as well....

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
****, I am really going to have to shoot everybody? When do I start shooting? Now, preemptively? Use my neighbors like some kind of morbid corpse levee? No, that will never work because they are going to be full of the holes I just put in them. Someone pls explain so I don't do it wrong.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
****, I am really going to have to shoot everybody? When do I start shooting? Now, preemptively? Use my neighbors like some kind of morbid corpse levee? No, that will never work because they are going to be full of the holes I just put in them. Someone pls explain so I don't do it wrong.
In SF looting was a major problem after the storm, hence a firearm was warranted and nec to protect yer sh$t.