Quantcast

so i'm going to CU

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
so... i'm going to CU. i need to send my intent in, and i need to know where to apply for houseing.

background: im not really a stereotypical SoCal kid, obviously i mountainbike, and i really like the outdoors (camping, backpacking, hiking, etc..). i do drink and i smoke a little, i dont want to be in a hall with a bunch of lazy stoners and i dont want to be in a hall with a bunch of meathead jocks.

i would just like some info from whoever goes, or went to CU that i wouldn't find on their website. i visited the campus in december and loved it, i stayed off campus with a friend, so i didn't learn much about the on-campus housing situation, hell, i didn't even get to see a dorm.

but yeah just tell me anything you guys know; best food hall, easiest RAP, maybe the typical people who live in each hall.. i dont really know what i need to know, so just tell me whatever you think is important for a dumb highschool kid to know before he applies to college.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Best food in 2004/2005 was Cheyenne/Arapahoe- and they got a new cafeteria this year I think.

You probably want to be in a dorm that is bordering Farrand Field. These will be in central campus, and they all are pretty nice. they are Farrand, Cheyenne/arap., Libby, Baker, and Willard, but willard sucks, so don't get that one. Also, baker does not have any food, so probably don't get that one either. Definately do not get Williams village- they are way off campus and really suck. also the Kittredge complex is on campus, but way in the corner, so again not my top choice. I'd go
1. cheyenne arapahoe
2. Farrand
3. Libby

as for people, you won't know until you get there, unless you're in the basement, then you get all dudes like I did.

also if you don't want to be a typical so-cal kid, don't drive here in an BMW or an audi A4 or a brand new, lifted Tacoma TRD. otherwise you should be fine-this is a fun school. and remember to join CU cycling- we do a bunch of drinking and racing(dh and xc) in the fall. hope that helps.

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
yeah, i think my list is going to be that same order.. im going to talk to a couple other people i know who go there, i know that my top two choices are farrand and cheyenne arapahoe. and i did hear something about not getting a basement room but forgot, thanks for reminding me.

and i wont be driving in at all.. i dont think i'll get a car for at least a year, and even then it will probably be a beater old 4runner or something..

one question, i know there is some amazing deal on lift tickets in the winter, is there anything like that for lift access riding during the summer?

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
Hungry_Hank said:
yeah, i think my list is going to be that same order.. im going to talk to a couple other people i know who go there, i know that my top two choices are farrand and cheyenne arapahoe. and i did hear something about not getting a basement room but forgot, thanks for reminding me.

and i wont be driving in at all.. i dont think i'll get a car for at least a year, and even then it will probably be a beater old 4runner or something..

one question, i know there is some amazing deal on lift tickets in the winter, is there anything like that for lift access riding during the summer?
a keystone season pass is relatively cheap. like $99. i think. in that area.

your houding list should definitly start with,
Ferrand
Cheyanne Arapaho
Libby

Suel has the best breakfast
Kitridge is a fun complex as well but easier to get in trouble at.
Hallet and Willard are alright as well.

You should get your papperwork sent in ASAP, I waited to long and didn't get any of my choices and got stuck in Willvill. Willvill aint bad but you don't get the on campus experience.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
ironhorsebike1 said:
a keystone season pass is relatively cheap. like $99. i think. in that area.
http://keystone.snow.com/info/mtnbikingdownhill.asp
Season Passes -
Keystone Only Haul Pass: $249
**Winter Season Pass Holder: $199
**($199 pass available until 7/2/05.)

Them things is steep. I am also going to CU, I can't even remember the dormitories I applied for it was so damn long ago I sent that thing in. Hopefully I picked one of those that mikebuell was kind enough to list.

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
axlvid23 said:
http://keystone.snow.com/info/mtnbikingdownhill.asp
Season Passes -
Keystone Only Haul Pass: $249
**Winter Season Pass Holder: $199
**($199 pass available until 7/2/05.)

Them things is steep. I am also going to CU, I can't even remember the dormitories I applied for it was so damn long ago I sent that thing in. Hopefully I picked one of those that mikebuell was kind enough to list.
i was just a litle bit off. haha

and i just got my room. cheyanne arapohoe #302. i didn't apply for it at all, but u guess it's a good dorm.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
axlvid23 said:
Well, just got my assignment...Cockerell. I don't know anything about it other than that it's in the quad....sweet?
Not bad, you're a stone's throw from engineering center, so I assume you're an engineer. I think everybody in that building are engineers, but I'm not 100% sure. That'll be good when you need Calc, Physics, etc. help.

We'll have some collegiate DH races this fall, you'll be there i assume? There's nothing serious about them, just show up and race basically.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
DHanamal said:
Not bad, you're a stone's throw from engineering center, so I assume you're an engineer. I think everybody in that building are engineers, but I'm not 100% sure. That'll be good when you need Calc, Physics, etc. help.

We'll have some collegiate DH races this fall, you'll be there i assume? There's nothing serious about them, just show up and race basically.
Yeah, sounds like I got a pretty good assignment.

And yeah, for sure, I wouldn't miss any of those... A chance to make my race season longer? No way I'm giving that up! Seeya this fall!:)

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Hungry_Hank said:
fvck! i got put in stearns east, room 517.. any other monkeys get screwed into willville?

Thats not all bad I hear...you're one of the few who gets air condition. (correct me if wrong)