Quantcast

So how many of you will be on 27.5(650b) for 2015??

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
but i have also been considering a couple of 650b sized rigs... i guess it comes down to what i can get a decent deal on the frame when the time comes.
People are getting rid of (often almost new) Mojo HDR frames left and right, everyone wants the new HD3. Some good used deals can be had, if you can live with a DW-link and less than 140mm of travel.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i will look into those frames. although i know nothing about ibis or DW other than RM has a plethora of Weagall (sp?) jokes (none of which i get).

On a more serious note, i will do some google-ing after work. i dont know anything about dw linked rigs. travel isnt usually an issue, although i dont want to go any lower than 130-140.

edit:
while im here, anyone ridden the codine yet? couple of reviews here and there, but id like to see if any monkies have swung a leg over this puppy.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
People are getting rid of (often almost new) Mojo HDR frames left and right, everyone wants the new HD3. Some good used deals can be had, if you can live with a DW-link and less than 140mm of travel.
Hated the HDR's feel. Even a Large felt tiny, "perched on top" feeling, with not enough standover.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I built my first 29er last year. Its a hardtail (Chromag Surface). My initial impressions were: it felt taller, and it did feel faster. On the trail, I was surprised how much easier technical climbs were compared to 26" hardtail it replaced. Bikes are fun, and it fun to change it up every once and a while from what you are use to.

For 2015 I'll be building a 27.5" enderpo/AM bike.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hated the HDR's feel. Even a Large felt tiny, "perched on top" feeling, with not enough standover.
I looked at the geo chart for this the other day, I think these frames are designed for little people. Midgets come in different sizes too!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I looked at the geo chart for this the other day, I think these frames are designed for little people. Midgets come in different sizes too!
the owners of Ibis are on the record over on empty beer explaining that they prefer the shorter front-centre because it gives a better climbing position, a shorter wheel base, and a more maneuverable bike. They argued that the adoption of dropper posts negates the need for super-short stems because your centre of gravity is much lower with the seat out of the way, and so you have less risk of going over the bars. I'm paraphrasing here obviously, and tbh, I can't speak authoritatively about the issue, but I think the industry and consumer demand have spoken against this position (for now at least). All that was written before the HD3, when the fanbois were complaining that the HDR wasn't really a step up from the HD, especially in that it didn't have a longer front-centre. The HD3 has a much longer front-centre.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
^ quite correct. I am exactly between Ibis sizes M and L. I have been riding a slackened M HD for a while and always liked the playfulness of a smaller frame, but I am switching to an L HDR that is quite close in geo to an M HD3 (a bit longer, still enough standover for me and I will run it a bit slacker than a standard HD3, too).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the owners of Ibis are on the record over on empty beer explaining that they prefer the shorter front-centre because it gives a better climbing position, a shorter wheel base, and a more maneuverable bike. They argued that the adoption of dropper posts negates the need for super-short stems because your centre of gravity is much lower with the seat out of the way, and so you have less risk of going over the bars. I'm paraphrasing here obviously, and tbh, I can't speak authoritatively about the issue, but I think the industry and consumer demand have spoken against this position (for now at least). All that was written before the HD3, when the fanbois were complaining that the HDR wasn't really a step up from the HD, especially in that it didn't have a longer front-centre. The HD3 has a much longer front-centre.

they're also completely ignoring other aspects that come with a short stem (vs a long stem).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, the fact that they are so focused on climbing performance indicates to me that they are the type of rider who carries extra brake pads while riding, because they drag their brakes the whole way down a descent

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
My friend just spent some time on the new ibis...he said it's a great bike for their intended market share (dentists and doctors having a midlife crisis) Short wheelbase, short top tube and steep headangle...great for people that need their bike to handle good when they are going slow...which I guess for certain places isn't necessarily a bad thing...I would say the reason the ibis people think a short stem is unnecessary is the same reason they recommend Minion 2.3's on their super wide rims...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think that the extra weight might be hiding somewhere in here:

thank goodness that they saved some weight here, or else you might have been over 40#:

oh god... the last time i saw someone riding that fork was some guy asking me for a multi-tool at the top of the lift of blue mt here in PA... his axle had apparently become loose. i'm assuming it was because he was running this fork backwards. he thought the lower arch was supposed to face forward.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
They argued that the adoption of dropper posts negates the need for super-short stems because your centre of gravity is much lower with the seat out of the way, and so you have less risk of going over the bars.
Yes, your center of gravity is much lower WHEN YOU ARE SITTING ON THE LOWERED SEAT WHILE DESCENDING. :bonk:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes, your center of gravity is much lower WHEN YOU ARE SITTING ON THE LOWERED SEAT WHILE DESCENDING. :bonk:
I'm not defending them, but when I went downhill before having a dropper post, my seat was always in the way, even if I wasn't sitting on it. Now, I can get my ass lower, while staying centered on the bike. And my ass accounts for a large portion of my mass... I think what they are saying isn't entirely incorrect.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL

Jeff showing more tech riding ability here on an IBIS than anyone not on a trials bike.....
Much respect, I love his riding style and what he does with the bike. Breaking stupid boundaries.

Danny Mac might have something to say about riding a trail bike in a trials way... Ever seen "The Ridge"??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Someone better tell ACC that. ;)
Hey ACC! Your bike rides like shit and the people who designed it are idiots.

Just a heads up.

They argued that the adoption of dropper posts negates the need for super-short stems because your centre of gravity is much lower with the seat out of the way, and so you have less risk of going over the bars
Yeah because short stems are for 'not going over the bars'

......jesus christ, who are these people?