Quantcast

snowshoe

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
:angry: Well everyone ,all the pics,and talk make me wish I was at home so I could ride there ,and see the Monster park ,but I am still stuck in Iraq. Be home on R&R on, or about 15 July, so Probaly will not make the monster park event, but am going to try and make it up before I have to report back.If not I will get to ride it Next year as I will not be home until DEC. Everyone ride a little for me and keep the rubber side down.

G-spot

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Nately27 said:
you guys underestimate the CARBON!!! Lets not forget i have an unlimited-unquestioned-lifetime-warranty on that thing. :thumb:
You need to create a headtube badge, in the shape of a 40oz beverage, while doing your frame repairs.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
G-spot said:
:angry: Well everyone ,all the pics,and talk make me wish I was at home so I could ride there ,and see the Monster park ,but I am still stuck in Iraq. Be home on R&R on, or about 15 July, so Probaly will not make the monster park event, but am going to try and make it up before I have to report back.If not I will get to ride it Next year as I will not be home until DEC. Everyone ride a little for me and keep the rubber side down.

G-spot
That sucks man but I am glad you are over there doing a good job fighting. I will be sure to cheer extra loud for you at Monster Park!

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
G-spot said:

G-spot
I left Baghdad end of May. Actually ran into one guy who had his Intense DH rig shipped over just to pedal around on. Stay safe.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
tgaines72 said:
rent a bike, trash someone else's parts. It would not be hard to do more in damage than the cost of the rental bike.
Plus, you'll have more fun on a sled!
it happens to be part of my job to fix those broken bikes.

i'm pretty sure you're liable for all damages anyways. :eek:

P.S. - can anyone even READ this ****ing post? can someone explain this?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
hmm...that's weird.

i happen to know someone who works on the snowshoe rental bikes that people trash. i guess it would be fun. what wouldn't be fun is being liable for all the damages. which you are.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
G-spot said:

G-spot

I cant say I know how you feel, but I have to say I'll definately think about the freedom I have to enjoy the monster park in safety because you are doing what you're doing. Thanks man. Mad Props to you

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
mobius said:
I work at the shop and work on those bikes. People don't really trash them. And you really aren't that liable for damages from what i've noticed...
Andrew,

Someone had told me they were renting some Specialiaed Demo 9's there....is this true or is it just the Kona line? Thanks-

Jay

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Hey Jay, I'm pretty sure that they rent Demo 9's.

For anybody that wants to know I am heading up in the morning and will try to get pics of what has been done for the Monster Park. Stoney worked on it the other day and I believe most of the natural stuff is done.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
mobius said:
I work at the shop and work on those bikes. People don't really trash them. And you really aren't that liable for damages from what i've noticed...
uuhhh....if someone rents a Kona Freight Train and totally rips off the nice and shiny SRAM X.O derialluer, do you think they'll be liable?

hhhmm.....

Oct 14, 2004
Colorado
So, is this Snowshoe place anygood? I went out there for a Norba national afew years ago. I thought it sucked. Rained alot. Are there anyfast guys that ride/race from there? I have not heard about any fast racers from there. Colorado rules.

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
Silent Assassin said:
So, is this Snowshoe place anygood? I went out there for a Norba national afew years ago. I thought it sucked. Rained alot. Are there anyfast guys that ride/race from there? I have not heard about any fast racers from there. Colorado rules.
Do a search and check out the pictures, if you still think it sucks, stay home.
Oh and there are some pretty fast racers from there, but since your from Colorado, I'm sure you could wipe them up :rolleyes:

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Silent Assassin said:
riiight

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Silent Assassin said:
no, it sucks. please don't come. :(

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I think I met that mickey guy last time I was there. He kept following me around telling me he was super-d national champ. No matter what I did he would not stop following me around. One of the guys at the shop told me he got kicked in the head by a horse when he was a kid so I kind of felt sorry for him. I noticed one ear was slightly lower than the other one after I found out about the horse thing. It was kinda freaking me out, I couldnt stop staring at it.

Riversmith

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
If you guys know of any girls that want to start riding let them know that there is going to be a camp at Snowshoe the same time as Sham's. I think his wife Alicia is going to teach it. I don't want to be the only girl out there!
Plus I found out that the western lift is going to be running 7/4 weekend for sure!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Riversmith said:
If you guys know of any girls that want to start riding let them know that there is going to be a camp at Snowshoe the same time as Sham's. I think his wife Alicia is going to teach it. I don't want to be the only girl out there!
Plus I found out that the western lift is going to be running 7/4 weekend for sure!
I'm pretty sure that his wife isn't going to be teaching any classes. The DirtBean Cafe/Snowshoe cross country team member Kristy Mantz will be teaching an 'Xterra Series' camp,focusing on triathalon events such as swimming,running,and biking.

This is not a camp specifically aimed at women either,it is for both sexes.

All of this information is easily found on our website; ride.snowshoemtn.com

Please use it to find answers to future questions,or PM myself or Mobius.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
AlmostHeaven said:
uuhhh....if someone rents a Kona Freight Train and totally rips off the nice and shiny SRAM X.O derialluer, do you think they'll be liable?

hhhmm.....
hmm.... the sarcasm seems so familar........ :confused:

Riversmith

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
If we can get some girls to sign up then there will be a downhill clinic!! Alicia's not coming out since there wasn't enough early interest. If you know any girl's, especially beginners get them out here during that time! I'm just beginning and would love to hook up with some other fem. riders...

Riversmith

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Robin?? Where are you?? I don't think she's coming out now... There are only three of us signed up and we're all snowshoe employees. Are you coming back out here anytime soon? I've already been out a couple times this summer but it's not the same without you... I'm recruiting.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
"uuhhh....if someone rents a Kona Freight Train and totally rips off the nice and shiny SRAM X.O derialluer, do you think they'll be liable?"
actuly i don't think they are. hence the $100 rental price tag on a D/H bike per day. they're banking on the fact that not everyone is going to smash the s**t out of it. i know i screwed a hayes lever, alivio shifter, and truevat. handelbar and even blew the dampener of an 04 dropoff tripple on a stinky rental and didn't pay a cent more. when it took them more then 10 minites for them to fix some brakes for me the just sent me out on a new bike.
and im guessing snowshoe pays as much for an X.O as we do for an LX, if not less.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
spacemanspiff06 said:
"uuhhh....if someone rents a Kona Freight Train and totally rips off the nice and shiny SRAM X.O derialluer, do you think they'll be liable?"
actuly i don't think they are. hence the $100 rental price tag on a D/H bike per day. they're banking on the fact that not everyone is going to smash the s**t out of it. i know i screwed a hayes lever, alivio shifter, and truevat. handelbar and even blew the dampener of an 04 dropoff tripple on a stinky rental and didn't pay a cent more. when it took them more then 10 minites for them to fix some brakes for me the just sent me out on a new bike.
and im guessing snowshoe pays as much for an X.O as we do for an LX, if not less.

'Actuly', you're wrong. I think they're banking on people like you to come here and break an X.O derailluer, not expecting to pay for it, and ending up having to.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Yeah they are. Some kid broke a hayes lever a shifter and a x7 and had to fork over retail for all of it.
Wise words from some dude who is almost heaven

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
paying for it yeah i understand....but retail....thats horse****, their cost plus a lil extra i can understand...but not retail, there should be no guess work or surprise...that should be made EXPLICITLY clear upon time of rental

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I imagine you have to sign something before you can rent the bikes? I imagine whatever you have to sign has to, by law, have the replacement policy for broken parks spelled out clearly? Really this issue should be cut and dry.

Anyone got a copy of it (assuming you have to sign something)?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
What they sign says clearly that they are responsible for the bike and we keep it on file here in the shop.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Kona specd em all out i dunno why on a dh bike they'd put that on a bike they specd specifically for whistler and snowshoe. Stupidest thing they could put on that bike was that x0

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I certainly figured that if you broke something you had to pay for it, but it seems some people figured otherwise.

Unless you're riding a hardtail (like me) there's really not much financial incentive to rent a bike considering if you eat it on your own and have to pay for stuff it's bound to be cheaper. The fact that I'm considering buying a Stinky is the only reason why I may rent if I get up to Snowshoe (to test it out). Though I'm also considering going all out for a Demo 8 but there's another $1300 over the regular Stinky. But I digress.

I'll be taking my FR hardtail to Snowshoe just in case. May end up jamming it in the trunk though in the parking lot. Heh.

EDIT: Anyone know if the Shaums March DH Camp in August still has room for a couple gravity junkies?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
mobius said:
What they sign says clearly that they are responsible for the bike and we keep it on file here in the shop.

aahahahahaaaaaaaa, oh crap. That has a familiar ring to it eh Andrew? :nuts:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
dang, I busted about $300 worth of stuff on rental bikes and i didn't get charged. by error maybe, but im not complaining. still i shelled out around $600 last season, so even with out paying for busted parts snowshoe made money off me.
no offence intended, heaven.

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
ridetoofast said:
paying for it yeah i understand....but retail....thats horse****, their cost plus a lil extra i can understand...but not retail, there should be no guess work or surprise...that should be made EXPLICITLY clear upon time of rental
There is a SMALL budget for replacement partsallowed to the MAC. Alot of the parts the shop orders are in bulk at the beginning of the summer. So we don't get shipments every week of new parts. People break brake levers, derailleurs, and rotors on a daily basis. They throw the bikes down....go down trails they have no business on. Spray the bottom bracket with so much water pressure the bearings go bad on a brand new bike in a month or so. People try to adjust dampening and rebounds on forks and don't know what the hell they are doing. Would your treat your gear like that? Are we just going to leave 20 bikes out of commission sitting in the back waiting for parts because we feel bad about charging you for a retail product in out store due to your neglect? Think how expensive that is....losing money because the bike is out of commission ($30-100/day per bike)and money for the new parts($20-100 x everytime one is broken). Paying the bike mechanic to replace the parts and keep the bikes in good shape($10-15/hour x #of times the bike needs a fixup). Who is usually put through some kind of mechanic school (they aren't cheap laborers).You do the math.
Anyway most of the time we have to take the part off the retail floor to replace on the bike. Which kills our % margins. If that happens then why the hell not charge retail? Why should the shop lose money because of negligence of the equipment from the user? We usually give you the broken one if you wanted it. Many times I would just charge retail with 30% off. and let them take the broken part(rotor etc...) People get attitude when they break something and have to pay for it. Treat those bikes like it was your own....and your good to go. Be thankful that Snowshoe rents out really nice bikes and not ragged 5 yr old beaters. Be grateful that there is a sick park and fun trails. The MAC isn't a bike charity. it's a business...and business make money. Be realistic.

Simms

Chimp
Sep 17, 2004
summit county Colorado
Riversmith said:
Robin?? Where are you?? I don't think she's coming out now... There are only three of us signed up and we're all snowshoe employees. Are you coming back out here anytime soon? I've already been out a couple times this summer but it's not the same without you... I'm recruiting.
Hey lauren... I am working in buena vista/salida Colorado. Matt and I are guiding on the arkansas river this summer and I'm working at copper PT. You should advertise for the clinic in dirt bean coffee shop....and maybe send some flyers out to other bike shops. Who are the other employees signed up? You need to get out on the trails more....You'll rip so hard by the end of the season....just in time for mayhem. I am kicking myself in the butt for not being there this summer. You don't know how much I am missing it. Not being able to ride much is killing me. There are some really good places around here to ride...i just don't have the time. Ahh when I mention Snowshoe to a biker.....Everyone knows of it out here. They talk about how technical they heard it was and stuff. I miss riding with you! We had some good times. I will be there around september for gauley fest.....I will come ride with you!!! Tell everyone at snowshoe hi for me! :)