Quantcast

Snowshoe race 2

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I got a sh!t load of pics of the jump at the finish line. I'll have them posted by this evening......

Awesome job again Snowshoe crew...simply awesome...

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
sirknight6 said:
I got a sh!t load of pics of the jump at the finish line. I'll have them posted by this evening......

Couldn't have said it any better. GREAT JOB !!!

I hope someone got some photos of my race carnage :nuts: it could fill volumes of 'How not to' ! In other words..........
I REALLY SUCKED !!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dude, I can guarantee I sucked worse. So much so its embarrassing. I got so sketched in the mud I phsyched myself out I hit that damn tree head on 3/4's of the way down. I'm just glad I finished.

Actually, I'm glad you talked me into it.

sirknight6 said:
Dude, I can guarantee I sucked worse. So much so its embarrassing. I got so sketched in the mud I phsyched myself out I hit that damn tree head on 3/4's of the way down. I'm just glad I finished.

A fun race for sure, and the snowshoe crew put together a great course once again. I can join the "sucked in the race" group. I crashed in the flat rock garden and went flying pete rose style through the tape and into the woods. I was lucky not to get passed by the guy behind me and that was my motivation after I crashed (I would have let him by if he caught me, because it was obviously not my day). Finished 27 out of 41, but i guess I'm glad I didn't get hurt worse.

Thanks to the shoe crew for a great race:D

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
sirknight6 said:

Quite frankly, I really can't figure out why I had such s SH#!TY run. Practice on Saturday...I guess you could call it that.... and my practice run yesterday were great. It all fell apart after turn rock coming into the double step down. I lowsided while braking after the turn rock drop and couldn't get out of my clips. Next up, as one of the other monkeys has already described, was my header into the flat rock garden at about the 3/4 distance through it. :banghead: Boy was that female course worker sitting there scared. I think she thought she was gonna see a corpse laying amongst the stones. Not today lady !! I gathered myself back up and ran out of the garden and re-mounted.

Next event was a stupid low-side at the sharp 180 degree drop turn before the off-camber section leading to Lincoln Log (get to that in a moment). A stupid touch of the front brake lever had me low-side again. Re-mount........Tally Ho !! Then comes Lincoln Log. Talk about those who suck!! I was sooooooo tired at that point that I overbraked before the drop and...................BAM...DOH...DOH....DOH....DOH. :dead: Visions of Homer Simpson jumping Springfield Gorge on a skateboard dancing in my head. Re-mount, turn , drop, jump, get passed (oh the indignity) great form in the last woods section, the finish jump and there you have it....the absolute worst race run of my career !!

So....you think you had it rough baby !

Actually, I had a FANTASTIC time this weekend just hangin and ridin with everyone. Thanks to everyone at Snowshoe for puttin on one helluva an event !! Can't wait until August 18-20 for the next one ! :D

Heal up quick man, we got a race at WISP in 2 weeks and I better see you there !!

Later.........:wave:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sirknight6 said:
there is absolutely nothing better in downhill riding than riding a course or trail for a day or two as the conditions change drastically as the weekend goes on.

and that's just what we had this weekend.
tire and pressure changes after every couple of runs.
washing down the machine after every run.
bursting out in laughter as you got on the lift after every practice run, as you had a chance to sit and realize what fun that just completed run was.

the atmosphere in the pits across from the lift was chilled to say the least.
riders helpin a brother out with mechanical problems without a second thought.
no ego warriors running about.

watching the dual slalom runs in the heavy fog, as riders appeared out of the mist at the start and sped off into the mist towards the bottom. more like apparitions than racers.

meeting new riders and seeing old friends whose paths aren't crossed nearly enough.

this was about as close to what mt. bike racing in the late eighties and early ninties as i've seen in quite a while.

i'll be back.
you can bet your ass on that !

Robusto

Monkey
watching the dual slalom runs in the heavy fog, as riders appeared out of the mist at the start and sped off into the mist towards the bottom. more like apparitions than racers.
Thats probably the best way to describe the dual race on Saturday. I ended up just racing the slalom this weekend, and skipped the DH so I could ride the rest of the mountain. Racing the dual course, coming around the first berms, and not seeing the first set of doubles, and everything else on the course, until you were 15 feet ahead of them was awesome. And then afterwards, watching the expert class, the riders would show up, gap the double, touch down on the table for a second, then they were just a fading silhouette going into the step-down. It was definately an awesome way for me to start racing slalom. As for the rest of the weekend, I had a blast. First we met up with a bunch of other riders and rode the trails on the basin side for about an hour or two on sunday, then we came over to the western side and rode the sport course and powerline all day. There were only a few really soupy parts on the basin side, and they werent too bad. We also got to watch alot of finishes @ the DH race. Ive never had as much fun on my bike as I did this weekend :D

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Sounds like Snowshoe!
Almost sorry I missed out, but I did get some good birthday lovin and a free meal at Gordon Biersch.

How was the road getting out Sunday? When we were there last time it was flooded over in a few spots. Always makes for interesting when you're not sure you're getting home.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
if I had run the race like I did Friday afternoon, I would have had a better time....I mean holy sh!t, 14 minutes? I'm so fvcking embarrassed I'm almost afraid to post.

I had a good start of it, but then that last part, I just fvcking locked up choked and hit a tree head on. After that, figuring a few seconds to remember my name, I had to stop like three times to yank my fender out of the way. I still have NO clue as to how THAT happened.

I embarrassed myself, and feel like sh!t, that there were SO many other better riders and yet I'm the fvcking asshat who podiums. My hats off to the many who certainly deserved it, especially more than I (Which was everyone)

I feel like a complete fvcking idiot who embarrassed not only himself, but his friends as well.

Hats off to all who did a great job and my sincerest apologies for making a complete ass of myself. No excuses, I just sucked REAL bad.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
sirknight6 said:
if I had run the race like I did Friday afternoon, I would have had a better time....I mean holy sh!t, 14 minutes? I'm so fvcking embarrassed I'm almost afraid to post.

I had a good start of it, but then that last part, I just fvcking locked up choked and hit a tree head on. After that, figuring a few seconds to remember my name, I had to stop like three times to yank my fender out of the way. I still have NO clue as to how THAT happened.

I embarrassed myself, and feel like sh!t, that there were SO many other better riders and yet I'm the fvcking asshat who podiums. My hats off to the many who certainly deserved it, especially more than I (Which was everyone)

I feel like a complete fvcking idiot who embarrassed not only himself, but his friends as well.

Hats off to all who did a great job and my sincerest apologies for making a complete ass of myself. No excuses, I just sucked REAL bad.

Well...... I'm through feelin bad about it all now.

All I know is that if these are the kind of weekends/events that continue to happen, there are going to be a whole lot of lonely spouses and families whose significant others/parents are out having a F#@*KIN BLAST with some of the best people on the planet !!!!

Can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters ??

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I had a great time! This was my first DH race. I rode all day Friday and Saturday, did the course twice on Friday in the good conditions. I made the right decision and didn't ride the course on Saturday at all so that I wouldn't get discouraged with the conditions. I got up early on Sunday and rode the course as soon as the lift opened and before the traffic got bad. I rode that run clean and was happy as a clam at the conditions. I had a clean race run only getting off my bike for the rock garden and another rock jump go around (faster to run through for me). Finished 1st in Women's Intro and would have finished 2nd had I raced ametuer. I'm missing the next race to compete in a the local 18 hour XC race but will be back in September to race ametuer. Thanks Snowshoe for the great race! Can't wait to get back and ride again!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
DHZombie said:
Well...... I'm through feelin bad about it all now.

All I know is that if these are the kind of weekends/events that continue to happen, there are going to be a whole lot of lonely spouses and families whose significant others/parents are out having a F#@*KIN BLAST with some of the best people on the planet !!!!

Can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters ??
OH, I'll be there again, and again, and again, until I can have a respectful showing.

The people were great, the beer flowed well, the laughter was abound, so, while I may not be happy my run, I still had a great time. I look forward to the next event.

g33grant

Chimp
Jul 20, 2006
If any body watched the dual slalom race for the intro I was the kid who racked himself betweeen his tire and seat on the step up step down,then my chain came off, I lost to a ten year old over 3rd place!4th is no fun. I suck......But I did have the 2nd fastest qualifying time and a great time!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i can't believe all the bar humpin on that jump.

that thing was so smooth, all you had to do was sit there and let the jump do its thing.

no need to tug the bars.
now if those doubles before the hip can just be shaped like that.....

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
i can't believe all the bar humpin on that jump.

that thing was so smooth, all you had to do was sit there and let the jump do its thing.

no need to tug the bars.
now if those doubles before the hip can just be shaped like that.....
then there wouldn't be an advantage to jumping them:D

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
then there wouldn't be an advantage to jumping them:D
i'll be sportin a mini shovel and rake on my next trip.
i just hope those two rather large gentlemen trailbuilders that kalen introduced us sunday to don't catch me.
or i might be the base of a new third jump.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
i'll be sportin a mini shovel and rake on my next trip.
i just hope those two rather large gentlemen trailbuilders that kalen introduced us sunday to don't catch me.
or i might be the base of a new third jump.
or you can just hit'em and fly;)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
or you can just hit'em and fly;)
even if i used the shovel, i don't think i'd do anymore than p... them off.

and by the way.
did you not see my race time ?
flying is no longer an option. :)