Quantcast

Snow Summit closing?!?!?!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Found this on Transcend.com this morning. Has anyone heard about this? I did hear they had a lawsuit pending,but haven't heard much more than that.

This would suck :(.

Snow Summit closure possible
BIG BEAR, California (transcendmagazine.com) - Word is now coming in from various sources that Snow Summit at Big Bear, a long supporter of Downhill and the traditional launch pad for each NORBA NCS season, may be closing down mountain bike operations.

Information coming in explains that the major reason for this is the loss of a major lawsuit to some absolute dimwitted rider who apparently shouldn't have been where he was and got injured.

Again, this has NOT yet been verified by Big Bear or Team Big Bear, whom we have attempted to contact. We will update as soon as more news comes in, either way.

WTF!?!?!?!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah...pretty bad...it's amazing how something that's so insignificant to 99.9999% of the rest of the world is such a big impact on us.

MD

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
MikeD said:
Yeah...pretty bad...it's amazing how something that's so insignificant to 99.9999% of the rest of the world is such a big impact on us.

MD
Yeah. All I can say is I hope the injured racer who's bringing on this suit feels good about himself (or herself). For crying out loud, I would expect this out of some Joe Recreational rider who got in over thier head, but a fellow racer?!?! Come on, you participate in an inherently dangerous sport and assume some risks. What a bunch of BS...people who capitalize on stuff like this need to be...OK, I'll be nice...sent to their rooms with no dessert. :angry: :angry: :angry:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't think he's feeling much of anything at the moment. The DH board thread has a link to his 'injury homepage.' Looks pretty bad.

Whether that's Snow Summit's fault or not seems, to most logical people, to be a 5-second consideration. What the law thinks will likely be different. And I'll admit I don't know all the facts, nor am I in a place to have anything but my own opinion...

MD

El Salt

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
All I can say is WOW.

I will say that after reading the “official” statement at www.teambigbear.com, I agree with their comments about illegal trails, etc., being built – that is wrong. But, I think they (or their lawyers or the lawyers of the party bringing the lawsuit) are using this as ammunition to bring about this unfortunate possibility for Snow Summit and for the city of Big Bear. It will be interesting to see how the merchants of Big Bear react to this. During summer months, cyclists constitute a fair portion of the income local business make.

Yet another reason to leave Los Angeles.

How sad.

-El Salt

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
MikeD said:
Don't think he's feeling much of anything at the moment. The DH board thread has a link to his 'injury homepage.' Looks pretty bad.

Whether that's Snow Summit's fault or not seems, to most logical people, to be a 5-second consideration. What the law thinks will likely be different. And I'll admit I don't know all the facts, nor am I in a place to have anything but my own opinion...

MD
Yeah, I saw a link to his site over on the other thread. I agree, it sucks that he got hurt, but that's just part of our sport. He could have hit a tree or a rock in the course and did the same thing. And if he got close enough to the rebar marker to hit it, sounds like rider error to me.

Either way, the whole situation just blows. :angry:

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
What's curious about this to me is that a ski resort must be armed with a pretty hefty liability insurance policy. In spite of the disclaimer printed on the back of lift tickets, I would think that potential lawsuits are just a cost of business.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe the injury rate per 1000 DH riders is significantly higher than that per 1000 skiers. Add in that skiers are probably the lion's share of their business, and maybe lift supported DH cycling is a loser for them, or so low margin it's not wrth the aggravation. Notice they didn't say they were dropping all cycling; just the DHers.

Too bad.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
That's #3 for California this year. Calibazas jumps in San Jose, Sandhill Ranch in east bay and now Big Bear. All of these places are closed by RIDERS sueing the landowners or in Cali's case a rider's parent suing the city. It kills me when riders are willing to close down their own parks for selfish gains. Total lack of willingness to take personal responsibility for a dangerous sport.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ibismojo said:
mother ****er god damn cock sucking piece of **** ****er what the ****, god ****ing dammit this ****in blows monkey ****ing balls mother ****er!
C'mon, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
mealsonwheels said:
That's #3 for California this year. Calibazas jumps in San Jose, Sandhill Ranch in east bay and now Big Bear. All of these places are closed by RIDERS sueing the landowners or in Cali's case a rider's parent suing the city. It kills me when riders are willing to close down their own parks for selfish gains. Total lack of willingness to take personal responsibility for a dangerous sport.
Whoa, Sandhill Ranch is closed!?!? I was planning to start heading up there after the 1st of the year to ride a few of their races.

Anyone know the details?

Is the MX track still open?

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Pbody said:
Whoa, Sandhill Ranch is closed!?!? I was planning to start heading up there after the 1st of the year to ride a few of their races.

Anyone know the details?

There's a thread on this in the Norcal section. But here's the situation:

A MX rider is suing them because he hit the water truck. Only thing is, he was on the track in violation of a course closure which was for the purpose of having the water truck out there! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the Sandhill owners had dropped their insurance, thinking that waivers alone would protect them.

There's also some suggestion that they are facing pressures from neighbors over noise, traffic, crowds. That part of the bay area is urbanizing pretty rapidly. I'd say even if they fend off this lawsuit, Sandhill's days are numbered.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Pbody said:

Anyone know the details?

Not closed yet, but pretty inevitable. I think they are trying to stay open through February. I believe there are new jumps in Aptos, so hopefully that'll help those who can no longer ride Cali. Gosh I need to get back up there.