Quantcast

Snapped m5 bolt in Boxxer's lower crown...

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
:banghead:

The two stanction bolts were wayy too tight, I fully loosened one and then tried the other (opposed to evenly loosening them) resulting in the head to snap clean off.

I have a #1 easy-out and a square bolt remover, but I'm very nervous given the size of the bolt.

Any tips or suggestions?

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Retighten the other one and apply penetrating oil to the broken one and let it soak in good before using the easy out on it and then untighten evenly. good luck

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I like the square-punch style especially for smaller bolts, as I feel the extractor is tougher. Besides, if it can't get a good purchase, you can still use the twisted type as a fallback.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Good news: I got it out. Both extractors were useless. It seemed like they would bite into the threads of the crown because my hole was just a little off. As a last ditch effort I upped the drill bit, it grabbed on and spun the bolt out the other side.

Bad news: Half way through my efforts I gave up and ordered a new lower crown complete with two day shipping.....:rant:

BRAND NEW 35mm BOXXER LOWER CROWN/STEERER FOR SALE

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Rule #1: Never give up until you've completely destroyed whatever you are trying to fix.

yellowdogx

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
Langley BC
Good news: I got it out. Both extractors were useless. It seemed like they would bite into the threads of the crown because my hole was just a little off. As a last ditch effort I upped the drill bit, it grabbed on and spun the bolt out the other side.

Bad news: Half way through my efforts I gave up and ordered a new lower crown complete with two day shipping.....:rant:

BRAND NEW 35mm BOXXER LOWER CROWN/STEERER FOR SALE
Good job getting it out! I broke one of those a month ago on the way in (stupid Chinese torque wrench). But didn't get so lucky on getting it out, some how managed to break off a drill bit!! Of course this was all three days before a week trip to whistler!