Quantcast

Small Frame 29er?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
So I've been seeing all these 29'er threads and hearing about the advantages and what not, and have been wanting to try one out.
However, I'm thinking that there might be very few bikes available to me at my height.
im only 5'5"...
so my question is sort of 2 part, first of all, is my height going to make it difficult to find a frame that accomodates my small stature and the big wheels? like will i have to sacrifice in the geometry dept just so i can get a frame i can stand over?
and 2nd, if it is possible, what are my options frame wise?

thanks

Soupboy

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Not to be rude, dude, but SEARCH. Go to MTBR's 29er page and get your search on. You will find options, FS and HT from several MFRs - Niner, Surly, Ventana, Redline, Raleigh, etc. etc. etc. etc.

29ers love the shorties!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You can fit a few production frames ( especially from Niner bikes) and you definitely can have a custom frame built - check out JRAD's bike in the photo gallery thread.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
One of the Niner Bikes owners is about your size.

As for how enjoyable they are to ride for someone your size, that's a matter of personal preference. If I were your size and riding up here in the NE, I'd avoid a 29er, as the slow-speed, technical, wheel-popping and hopping stuff is going to be tougher for a shorter person on a 29er with higher axles to pivot around. If you ride smoother trails, your experience could be much better.

Below 5-7 or so, you have to really want the benefits of the 29er to put up with the drawbacks inherent in those smaller sizes. Then again, all bikes are compromises, and if you're willing to tailor your riding style to the big wheeled bike, then you might enjoy the plusses of the big wheels...

J-RAD

Chimp
Jun 4, 2006
MI
I put a lot of thought to purchasing an off the shelf frame before deciding to go custom. Being 5'4ish with a 28 inch inseam and a riding style where I move around on the bike quite a bit, standover was a very important issue. With regards to standover, the frames that were most appealing were the Soma Juice and niner sir9.

If you are not worried about a suspension fork, there is always the option of a non suspension corrected custom or something like the Raliegh xxix. When properly designed, this route will really help the smaller rider with regards to handlebar height. I am not sure, but the new khs singlespeed 29er and the gt peace 29er appear to be non suspension corrected frame/forks. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am just judging by the pics I have seen.

All that being said, you most likely could fit yourself on to any of the smallest size frames by any of the common manufacturers with some stem length and angle adjustment.

My advice would be to take some measurements of your own bike and check them up against some of the stock 29er frames out there to see what you would need to change in order to fit on them. I loved the fit/feel and ride of my Surly 1x1 and tailored my 29er geometry/dimensions to ensure I am in the exact same riding position on both bikes. Examples would be cockpit length, actual bar height, bb height. If you are thinking custom you really have to consider what you like and don't like about your current bike handling so the geometry can be adjusted for proper ride. The only real change I had to get used to was a much shorter stem length as the eff tt length on a 29er is longer to eliminate toe overlap issues. FYI, I went from a 120mm on 26er to a 77mm on my 29er.

Here are the benefits that have found. Keep in mind this is singlespeed and my personal impressions

Benefits of 29
-Way faster on bumpy and smooth flats then my 26er
-Traction on steeper loose/rocky/rooty climbs is superior to my 26er
-A lil more forgiving when riding rigid.
-Rolls over stuff better

I have also found that My riding style is different for the two with regards to climbing. I have always climbed standing on my 26er on steep hills while I climb everything seated on my 29er. The 29er creates much less fatigue on my upper body do to this.

Below is a picture of my Surly 1x1 and Quiring 29er for reference.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

nalax

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
I'm 5-6 and ride a Soma Juice. The bent top tube provides low standover and the bike has excellent ride characteristics for a low price steel frame. By comparison I have 2 853 Gunnar frames and an Ibis Mojo.

I've set it up as SS and geared and raced it in both configurations. After you get a list of bikes that you might be interested in, check out the geometries and see which fits you the best. IMO everything else is secondary to the fit.

Full Cycles has them for 349 and there is a ridemonkey discount.

nalax

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
It came up on a banner ad yesterday here on the forums.
Said that it applied to bikes too.
I'm pretty sure it was on this site. Anybody else see it?
Wouldn't be the first time time I was wrong (or last)

Ridemonkey discount???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It came up on a banner ad yesterday here on the forums.
Said that it applied to bikes too.
I'm pretty sure it was on this site. Anybody else see it?
Wouldn't be the first time time I was wrong (or last)
with the premium membership you don't see popups or ads......and now I think I wish I were just a RM regular poster.

If it was here, that's a cool deal.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
There was that Custom Waltworks pictured in the 'latest?' DirtRag. I think it was built for someone 5'4" or something. Said it would be comparable to a 10" frame.