Quantcast

SL8

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
IMG_8676.jpg

Mentioned this in another thread, figured I'd post it up.

52 cm Tarmac SL8 Pro frame, I built it up as follows:
Rival shifters/brakes
Force cranks, chain, cassette (10-36) and derailleur (XPLR)
Alugear chainring (46t)
Enve AR bars (40cm)
Pro Stealth saddle
Light Bicycle WR45 rims on DT Swiss 240 hubs
Conti GP 5000 S TR tires, previously 28mm, currently 30mm (measure an actual 33mm) run in the mid/low 50's psi.
Weighs 15.9lbs fully built with pedals, cages and GPS mount.

I'm almost always between sizes, and through some trial and error, finally realized I prefer the smaller frame with longer stem than the larger frame with shorter stem. I'm running a 100mm stem, which is hardly long for road, but it's longer than what it came with. Haven't decided if I'll go the fully integrated bar/stem route, I really like my Enve bar.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That looks great.

I'd have been on a 58 if I'd gone for that same blurple frameset. But I'm loving how my RoadTi is riding, the geo is very close to SL7/8. It rails downhill and the extra bit of weight isn't slowing me down any. 90 minutes into a hard ride yesterday I set my best 30 minute power, but I went easy for 4 minutes in the middle of that at ~200W and was only 30 seconds off my PR for this climb:

Definitely looking forward to giving the segment a full bore effort when it's warmer and I'm a little fresher as my PR is from late 2019.

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah, we don't have any climbs like that around here. If I lived out there I'd be on a 2x, or at least running the XPLR cassette.

This is the fastest road bike I've owned, by a long shot. I've done zero intensity on the trainer this winter and this bike is carrying me through any fast group rides. I'm excited to see how it does when I get in summer shape. My Canyon Endurace is just hanging on the wall, probably never to be ridden again.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, we don't have any climbs like that around here. If I lived out there I'd be on a 2x, or at least running the XPLR cassette.
That climb leads to my house as I'm at the top of the mountain, so I do it a few times a week on the road or single-track ascent :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What I really want to find is a nice, but cheap SL6 rim brake frameset and put 11 speed mechanical Force on it. This would replace my 16 year old 10 speed Force bike on the trainer. I've been hunting for a little while, but nothing cheap enough for me to bite. Just because I like the geo so much on my RoadTi and I believe the SL6/7 and 8 are pretty much the same.