Quantcast

Sinister Splinter MXS?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The Splinters haven't made production yet. The Black Splinter MX at Interbike has very similar geometry to the MXS though
I took ~5 runs on it on the Dh trails rode it on the 4x track, rode some of the XC trails, and did a bit of messing around down town Boulder City on it as well.
My overall impression of it was real, real positive. I rode the bike in every travel setting, and also with the air shock in the 4" mode. It felt super good everywhere, but was especially well balanced on the 4x track in 4" with a Sherman locked down to 110.
I also really enjoyed it in the 6" mode with a super t up front. In that incarnation it is basically a lighter R9 with shorter chainstays and 3" less of travel.
I think something along the lines of a Fox 36 or Reba would be perfect on it. 6-4" of adjustable lightweight travel to match up with the rear.
You would probally want to go with a medium Splinter MX instead of the MXS to get full seatpost adjustment on it though, unless you don't mind having 2 seatposts, as depending on how low you like your saddle for 4x stuff, and how high you like your saddle for trail riding it may not be enough adjustment on the 16.5"

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Interesting looking allround bike with a great travel selection and I am sure high build quality. Buy it and let us hear how it rides.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bumping this petrified thread.....

i searched for the MXS and didn't get much info. i know that Sinister's site is updated rarely...

so could someone tell me if the MXS is still in production, or are just going with the MX? are the Splinter frames still using the 1.5 HT? is Sinister's large more like an XL? the 24.5" TT seems super long for a large frame.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ya gotta call them direct. their production runs are small and there are changes with each run.

i would love to hear what peeps have to say. as for the seat tube adjustment, there is not much. that kink at the midpoint kills a bunch of it.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
the Inbred said:

i searched for the MXS and didn't get much info. i know that Sinister's site is updated rarely...

so could someone tell me if the MXS is still in production, or are just going with the MX? are the Splinter frames still using the 1.5 HT? is Sinister's large more like an XL? the 24.5" TT seems super long for a large frame.
I believe they like large top tubes so yes, that would probubly be equivelent to a normal XL. Don't qoute me though.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The design is changing again for this season, to a new suspension setup.
Maybe email them directly with specific questions, or check out www.bustedspoke.com
Frank has an account there, and is always willing to answer questions.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i rock an old school mxs with 2 diff rear shocks and a nixon platinum on front and its the most versaitle and most ridden bike in my stable. the new style will have 7 inches o travel and im not sure about an mxs version

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i have not talked to the guys over at sinister much about the new frame. give em a call and ask. im sure its possible somehow

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
the Inbred said:

There aren't any MXS's left from the last run, only made 6 of them!
There are still small and medium normal MX's at the shop though. They have the 1.5 ht's. White, Black, and Orange are currently available. The new MX is on the radar, as I played with parts for one yesterday. If there's demand there will be a slalom version of it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Also, in response to the seatpost adjustment thing.... No Splinters have full seattubes anymore, never did except for the pictures of protos on the website.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SuspectDevice, your posts came up a lot in my searches, so i'll ask you...

i had a medium DNA with a 70mm stem. the eff. TT length on DNAs, assuming the geometry hasn't changed, is 23". my DNA felt rather small. the Splinters are 23.5 for a medium. there's nothing weird going on with the numbers, is there? a 23.5" TT is what i would be riding on an XC bike, so i figure it would be a good place to start for a do-all bike.

also, what is the frame weight? is it possible to build it up in the low 30s without going broke?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
the Inbred said:
SuspectDevice, your posts came up a lot in my searches, so i'll ask you...

i had a medium DNA with a 70mm stem. the eff. TT length on DNAs, assuming the geometry hasn't changed, is 23". my DNA felt rather small. the Splinters are 23.5 for a medium. there's nothing weird going on with the numbers, is there? a 23.5" TT is what i would be riding on an XC bike, so i figure it would be a good place to start for a do-all bike.

also, what is the frame weight? is it possible to build it up in the low 30s without going broke?

You had an '04, and an unsual custom one-off at that. I have both '04 and '05 DNA's, and the '05s are certainly a touch longer in the front end. My ER is a medium, and feels great to me at 5'10"

To get a bike in the low 30's you will want an ER. The ER frame is absolutely burly enough for pretty much anything short of full on hucking every day. FTW says just don't run a dual crown on it and you'll be fine. The BB is a tad higher with an equivalent length fork, compared to an MX but it is still plenty low.

With that build my ER is 29 pounds. More FR oriented wheels would put it around 32 or so. As a point of reference my MX weighs in at 38.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i had my mxs down to 33 lbs at one point. swinger 4way air, ex823 tubeless on 2.35 larsens, xo all aorund, drilled out e13, deity components with ti spindle and bolts, thomson masetrpiece post, nixon plaitnum spv, avid juicy's, hadley hubs,

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Gotta love the Splinter. Being 6'4" the Large fits me PERFECTLY. I am partial to a longer TT anyway. I managed a few runs on Suspect Device's orange bike (above) and even though it was tiny for me, it rode beautifully. If I was looking for a lighter bike, I'd go with the ER without hesitation. As it stands, I'll be on the list for a 2006 MX (I find myself in "OH SH**" situations enough to warrant the beefier bike).

The interrupted seatpost thing is not an issue at all because it is long enough to allow for meaningful adjustments in seat height.