Quantcast

Sinister R9?

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
thanks for the kind words folks, we work hard to make nice bikes and I am really glad owners like them. It's true that the R9 has 10" of travel measured vertically. I have measured a few other brands of frames and found for some reason they measured less than claimed..not sure why anyway I figured if I made the '9s with a little more than claimed it would be funny.. sort of a private joke..I take my measurement holding the frame clamped to a fixture so it cant move and then I raise the wheel and measure the difference vertically from axle at top to axle at bottom. That would in the "highest leverage" position for the shock and compressing the bumper 80%.

Anyway the "medium" frames are actually 1-1/4" shorter wheelbase (with the same fork) with the top tube also shortened another inch or so (measured X axis). I am 5'11" tall and ride a "large". I designed the bike for myself to improve my race results. I see plenty of bikes have much shorter fronts but I tried that and it killed my sprints so I made it long. I also tried short stays and the bike went slower so I made them a little long (don't much care about stunts for that bike). I also tried a floating rear brake and although it was smoother over bumps leading to corners the bike wouldn't "bang" corners. I even tried different amounts of leverage but the way the bike would set up for turns was just wrong so off it went. I am not much for "gimics" so I don't offer that option. (who wants to drag the brake anyway) I know on my old X the floater helped so perhaps even though the '9 is a S.P. the relatively low pivot reduces the prob.. I totally built the R9 to race.. but, damn that Turner is a nice bike too.. F

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
verticult said:
thanks for the kind words folks, we work hard to make nice bikes and I am really glad owners like them. It's true that the R9 has 10" of travel measured vertically. I have measured a few other brands of frames and found for some reason they measured less than claimed..not sure why anyway I figured if I made the '9s with a little more than claimed it would be funny.. sort of a private joke..I take my measurement holding the frame clamped to a fixture so it cant move and then I raise the wheel and measure the difference vertically from axle at top to axle at bottom. That would in the "highest leverage" position for the shock and compressing the bumper 80%.

Anyway the "medium" frames are actually 1-1/4" shorter wheelbase (with the same fork) with the top tube also shortened another inch or so (measured X axis). I am 5'11" tall and ride a "large". I designed the bike for myself to improve my race results. I see plenty of bikes have much shorter fronts but I tried that and it killed my sprints so I made it long. I also tried short stays and the bike went slower so I made them a little long (don't much care about stunts for that bike). I also tried a floating rear brake and although it was smoother over bumps leading to corners the bike wouldn't "bang" corners. I even tried different amounts of leverage but the way the bike would set up for turns was just wrong so off it went. I am not much for "gimics" so I don't offer that option. (who wants to drag the brake anyway) I know on my old X the floater helped so perhaps even though the '9 is a S.P. the relatively low pivot reduces the prob.. I totally built the R9 to race.. but, damn that Turner is a nice bike too.. F
I applaud Frank :thumb:

( I sent you an Email Frank, after reading this, my suggestions were pretty much heard, or i guess, proved wrong...)

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Frank, I've been talkin to David ever since i got picked up for your grassroots team, and he's helpin me get an R9 for the US Nationals coming up. I'm about 5'7"-5'8", would you guys happen to have any of the medium frames left? If so, would you be able to talk to Dave to see if he can get me on one of those? Well, congrats on Sinister's recent TV coverage! I saw the video, it was pretty cool to see what goes on in the Sinister house. Talk to ya later!

Patrick