Quantcast

single speed conversion kit

rubrduk

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
la canada
they pretty much all work..

i'm running the Gusset freehub SS setup on mine, but it needed some macguyvering to get it right...there is one i saw that has the rear gear enclosed (side guides that is)...i would think that would be best for a standard dropout bike...and then you can get any chain tensioner...Giant even makes one for the STP bikes

i'm running a 33x16 gearing...it think it's perfect for urban - most guys are 33x16 or 17 that i know

my $.02

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You can also dump the dumb chain tensioner headache by running a half-link chain. My buds doing it with no issues and PERFECT chain tension on his STP. I can't quite remember his teeth counts, 32 and...16? I can find out if need be. Personally, I think horizontal dropouts just got retarded with the release of halflink chains. No more ginked wheels/chainline, no need for $20 in chain tensioners, running the shortest rear wheel position possible, on and on. Love those chains!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
half link chains are too heavy for the weight weeny's out there.....not being one of said weenies, who makes a good one?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yep, I think there are a few others out there, but Shadow's the only one in my book.
Another way to beat the weight is micro gearing. I'm running a 25/13 or 14(depends), so the gears themselves are smaller/lighter, and there are less links on the heavy chain. And it IS kind of a heavy chain. But I can't notice it from the old 9speed I had on there when riding the bike. The only way you'll know is if you own a scale and change the batteries often!