Quantcast

Single pivot DH owners....

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so I have been on my Diesel a bit now and I like it besides the noise. I was wondering who else is running a single pivot dh bike and what positives/negatives can you say about it. I would like to hear from OWNERS not the "I rode my friends once or I heard so and so...." crowd:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mines a single pivot trail bike.

I like the stiffness, it's a foes, so obviously it's a stiffler. It's harsher than the linkage bikes I've owned and nearly all linkage bikes that I've tried. It pedals well and actively due to the low pivot and curnutt shock, but this is what sacrifices the ride quality and suspension ability.

I like the bike for it's stiffness and the fact that side-loading the shock is a near impossability, which was one of my biggest priorities. It could suspend better though. Pedaling is fine, no complaints (but like I said before, it's one of the reasons it doesn't suspend well).

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ok, I'll bite. I'm currently riding a BB7 which couldn't be any closer to the diesel in design. It looks like the BB7 has a slightly higher pivot, but otherwise, identical. I love it. I like single pivots. They're simple and predictable. The pulley on the diesel/bb7 makes them pedal great. The super high pivot on the bb7 give it a rearward axle path that you really feel on square edged bumps. My previous bike was a S8. Similar ride but it pedaled like poo and had some other issues. Good all around bike for the time/money. IMO, the single pivot bikes I have ridden jump better than lickage bikes I've ridden. I like bikes that you can get off of the ground with ease.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I have a Gemini DH, and so far I have been very impressed. I honestly cannot find any downsides to this bike. It has a floating brake arm, so brake jack is a non-issue. It pedals just fine (for a DH bike), and of course pedaling performance can always be improved by adding air to the SPV shock. The rear end is extremely stiff, and the bike is very agile in corners and tech sections. The Gemini's suspension is designed around a lot of sag, so the rear wheel tracks extremely well, and stutter bumps are no problem. All in all, this bike seems almost perfect, and there are no downsides the single pivot design.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I owned a Bullit for a while set up in total DH mode (a Slider then a Shiver up front, Fox, Avy then 5th rear). Now that I am on a heavier bike, I realized that I really liked the light weight of the Bullit. The relatively short travel made the bike feel controlled and quick, easy to turn, manual, drift and just ride fast. Handled well and just felt natural. Some might not think it is a very capable bike but I did pretty well on it. Reliability was always good: never had to replace anything on it (though I did buy a new frame after 2 or 3 years).

The only complaints I have are few. The bike was not the best jumper. I never felt that comfortable in the air, partially probably because of the weight on the front end. It was not the stiffest bike. Also, it stiffened up a lot under braking. Easiest place to tell was a steep slope with hard edged hits. Suspension was good but did reach its limits.

Now I have a Tomac 204, which is a single pivot with a moto link. I like it a lot. Position feels somewhat similar to the Bullit. Since it's fairly steep for a DH bike, the angles feel similar also. This bike jumps better and feels easier to control and move in the air. The suspension does lock out some under braking but seems to be better than the Bullit for some reason. Definitely easier to pedal through rock gardens. This is probably attributable, at least partially, to the stiffness. Even with a Fox, the Tomac pedals really well but it feels heavy on flat ground (mostly because the frame is like 14 or more lbs and complete bike is likely high 40s-50 lbs). Frame is sometimes noisy from some derailer slap but not bad now that I have the right spring on there.

I have owned 4 dual suspension bikes (2 bullits, the Tomac and a Giant VT) and I love them all. I have only limited experience on other designs (mostly on a Karpiel, a V10 and some others) but I do not feel that there is any inherent design weakness in a single pivot.

R

Rabie

BMXman said:
I would like to hear from OWNERS not the "I rode my friends once or I heard so and so...." crowd:D

"I don't have a single pivot bike, but I looked at my friend's and he says he likes it but I think the stickers are ugly."

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I rode Pegboy's Chumba, it's like the live eyelet linkage system or something, I like it but I don't like the Lizard Skin chainstay protector.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
BMXman said:
so I have been on my Diesel a bit now and I like it besides the noise. I was wondering who else is running a single pivot dh bike and what positives/negatives can you say about it. I would like to hear from OWNERS not the "I rode my friends once or I heard so and so...." crowd:D

Donnie,

Your Nicolai M-pire was a single pivot.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ive been on a Foes Mono for the past 2 years, its an 01' and i love it to bits,
Its uber stiff and rails like nothing else Ive ridden, I had it with out a floater and with a floater and can honestly say it does make a big difference, settles the bike done hugly under braking.

I cant really think of anything I dont like, doesnt pedal overly well, but I guess I could get the fox upgraded to pro pedal if I wanted, nice that its has the adjustable rod on the end of the shock so I can play with the headangle a bit.
I spose it is a little noisey but thats nothing major.

all in all, the next bike I buy will be without a doubt another DHS, they are so sweet and they look good,

Mo'Preme

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Single pivot DH bikes vary hugely in design and ride characteristics. It would be misleading to make them one group that all ride the same. IMO the two best DH bikes I have ridden (I've ridden a lot of DH bikes) have both been single pivot bikes with progressive shock linkages. Neither had floating brakes, and that's the way I like 'em.

I have ridden two single pivot bikes in both floating and non-floating brake setups and in both cases I prefered the bike without the floater. However, if I had a high pivot non-linkage bike, like the Balfa or Deisel, I might feel differently about the floater.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got a single pivot and it's fun to ride. I've never owned a FSR so I can't really compare it to one though. Really none of that matters though, I really responded because I wanted to point out that I have the same seat post as you and it rocks!!! Long live $14 seat posts.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Crap, I looked closer and you don't have the $14 version, you've got the one with a real seat clamp. Dang, I thought I was cool because I had the same parts as someone else.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
dexterq20 said:
I have a Gemini DH, and so far I have been very impressed. I honestly cannot find any downsides to this bike. It has a floating brake arm, so brake jack is a non-issue. It pedals just fine (for a DH bike), and of course pedaling performance can always be improved by adding air to the SPV shock. The rear end is extremely stiff, and the bike is very agile in corners and tech sections. The Gemini's suspension is designed around a lot of sag, so the rear wheel tracks extremely well, and stutter bumps are no problem. All in all, this bike seems almost perfect, and there are no downsides the single pivot design.
I searched high and low for a Gemini DH but they're not easy to find. Unless Ipaid retail and I wasn't about to do that....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MikeD said:
Well, your Nucleon was, too!
I thought the Nucleon waa great bike just too heavy @ 50lbs....I was all set to get one of the new lighter G-Boxx bikes but with the prices the G-Boxx bikes are selling for now...I really can't justify it.....D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I guess our point is that you've had 3 different single-pivots, that have all had extremely different ride qualities. So quit askin' noob questions!

And take your HT off the sale board. You know you love it. We've discussed this, if you can remember...

MD

Apr 1, 2002
Freezin my arse off!
I've been riding my Diesel for over a year now. I've had many DH bikes including 2 Nicolai(DH and ST,Brooklyn,Super-8) and by far the Diesel is my favorite. It's stupid simple. It's crazy fast and so easy to manuever around...yes you have to pick smoother lines but what's the fun in taking the point and shoot route? What do you think of the suspension?...Even with the right sag I feel the suspension is stiff...Zedro pressed down on my bike once and was like "you ride it like that?"

B

bigkonarider

I also own & have rippin it up on a Bullet.
With the 5th Element on it there is a lot better feel than with a Fox-rc of the past.
I really don't notice "brake jack" but in a way i owned a GIANT-atx dh & it was a BETTER DH bike & squatted the back end down more/plush! "but blows shocks"..
Reliability of a single pivit is unmatched & simple.
I also had a Eliminator & just friggin hated it after a while due to there are only a few if any positions to get a good slack HA w/o the BB draggin the ground or tire Rubbin even with a 24".It was just TOO much work..
Been on a Bullet for a while & don't wish i had somthin else yet !!
Mine had a Monster-T & 24" r. wheel..
Now it's going to a Z150 & believe it's going to be the ULTIMATE setup for my style of riding.
:cool:

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Private Joker said:
I've been riding my Diesel for over a year now. I've had many DH bikes including 2 Nicolai(DH and ST,Brooklyn,Super-8) and by far the Diesel is my favorite. It's stupid simple. It's crazy fast and so easy to manuever around...yes you have to pick smoother lines but what's the fun in taking the point and shoot route? What do you think of the suspension?...Even with the right sag I feel the suspension is stiff...Zedro pressed down on my bike once and was like "you ride it like that?"
This is the difference between every single pivot, and NONE will act the same unless they have the same exact geometry and dim's.

Pick smoother lines?!? My BCD handles the rough stuff better than any other DH bike I've owned, just point and shoot and hold on. Its pedals better than everything but the DW link I've ridden.

Brake jack... not really, then again why brake? I only really use my rear brake to steer or straighten myself out anyhow since it really doesn't do much good slowing you down.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'd have to say that is the ONLY thing noticable on a single pivot is the brake jack. Otherwise you just point and shoot (like you're suspose to do :) )

I know on my FSR Intense I can hold a gob of brake and the suspension keeps moving. Which I like because our trails here require braking due to steep trails, lots of cutbacks and waterbar turns etc....

Again though, I don't think the bike has as much to do as skill. I'm sure every single bike out there has it's up's and down's, everything does. I always check out the mag's and it seems most of the winning pro's are on turners (single pivot), cannondales (same), Orange (same) etc... Hell even that Honda RN01 bike? is a single pivot.

BTW, nice looking Trek. They don't seem as popular as the other big name brand DH frames or bikes. You don't see too many Treks around, but if they play their cards right, they'll have a winner. You sometimes can't beat the warrenty on a name brand frame like specialized/trek/giant etc....

SuperJ

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Tahoe
dexterq20 said:
:stupid:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stoney98 said:
d- Why the trek? what hapened to the SCv-10?
He discovered the Trek was a better brand, according to the guys at the yacht club...and it goes better with his Benz.

MD

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Private Joker said:
...Even with the right sag I feel the suspension is stiff...Zedro pressed down on my bike once and was like "you ride it like that?"
lol, i didnt say that...i dont think, but did say it felt like it was uber-stiff (plus, the question sounds a bit redundant ;) )

you missed some awsome days at B, the trails and weather have been perfect these past couple of weeks, everyones goin-off....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
lol, i didnt say that...i dont think, but did say it felt like it was uber-stiff (plus, the question sounds a bit redundant ;) )

you missed some awsome days at B, the trails and weather have been perfect these past couple of weeks, everyones goin-off....
I shoud be there the last weekend.

If my damn base valve arrives on time...Silly base valve, please make your way to me, post haste! ;)

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
BMXman, Just build up your beautiful V10 and compare the rides. I actually just ordered the same exact V10.......

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Well I just found a rear hub for the V10 so we'll see...but the more I think about it...the Diesel is more versatile and simplistic for my needs. I can take off the chain idler and mount a front derailleur if I wanted. It pedals great but is a bit stiff. I'm used to riding/racing on Romics and there is a big difference in plushness.....Rog is going to send me out a custom shock so that should help. I just need to get ahold of the brake therapy guys and brake jack will be a thing of the past.

I do also like that pictured above the Diesel on weighs 39.65 lbs. It's been a while since I was on a "light" dh/freeride bike. Why does everone dislike Trek so much? I just don't get it....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
JRogers said:
Didn't you also have a Kona like 2 years ago? Single pivot w/linkage there.

yeah I have a thing for single pivots....now that I think about it...the only 2 bike I have owned that weren't single pivots were the Nicolai Helius and a Cortina DH8....D

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
BMXman said:
Well I just found a rear hub for the V10 so we'll see...but the more I think about it...the Diesel is more versatile and simplistic for my needs. I can take off the chain idler and mount a front derailleur if I wanted. It pedals great but is a bit stiff. I'm used to riding/racing on Romics and there is a big difference in plushness.....Rog is going to send me out a custom shock so that should help. I just need to get ahold of the brake therapy guys and brake jack will be a thing of the past.

I do also like that pictured above the Diesel on weighs 39.65 lbs. It's been a while since I was on a "light" dh/freeride bike. Why does everone dislike Trek so much? I just don't get it....D
Understood. If i worked at a shop that sold Treks and i could get a hole of a Diesel i'd def. consider one. I like Treks.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Rabie said:
"I don't have a single pivot bike, but I looked at my friend's and he says he likes it but I think the stickers are ugly."
That's because you peel the stix off all your frames and forks.