Quantcast

Simple Question

jcribbs

Chimp
Mar 13, 2012
Hello I have a question.

First of all, I have not ridden in 35-40 years and today I bought a bicycle...

My question concerns the seat height. I am 5'4". At this time, I have taken the rear reflector off so I can put the bike seat in the lowest position so I feel more stable. My feet touch the ground at this height when sitting on the seat. Not flat, but I do have balance.

After I practice up, what height should the seat actually be? That is my question.

One more thing..... I have a walmart avalon with 26" tires. Not sure if that makes a difference. I did not want to spend a lot of money starting out. I want to wait and see if I stick with it. My plan is 100 miles a month.

Thanks, Jenn

Last edited:

ltr450rider

Chimp
Jun 17, 2010
Goleta, CA
The easiest way to get the correct saddle hieght:

At the bottom of the pedal stroke, place your heel on the pedal and your knee will be fully or almost fully straight or locked. When you place the ball of your foot on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, you should have a slight bend in your knee.

You wont be able to touch the ground from this saddle position so you will have to come forward off the saddle and straddle the frame at stops.

While riding, if you feel like you are using too much of your upper legs and they burn, your saddle is probably too low.