Quantcast

similar bike to M6?

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
been on the M6 for a while and very2 happy with it...thinking of getting a second bike that ride similar. any suggestion guys?

as far as I can see the only similar frame on paper (from geo point of view) is the Yeti 303RDH. what do you think?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
been on the M6 for a while and very2 happy with it...thinking of getting a second bike that ride similar. any suggestion guys?

as far as I can see the only similar frame on paper (from geo point of view) is the Yeti 303RDH. what do you think?
303R is very faaar away from the m6. it's a popy bike not a plowbike that sits deeper in it's travel.

There is a bike geo topic so if you really can't find any other bike with similar geo than look there ;)

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
ok thanks...geo isnt my first priority,I'm more into how the actual bike ride.

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
My plan here is to give some real advise, not just a sarcastic comment.

I have an m6 right now. I really like how the bike rides and the geo is very good on the bike. but it is a plow bike and that is the only thing that i do not like. I would say if you really like the m6 and the geo get the 951, it has the same geo pretty much and it feels much livelier.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
Two DH bikes makes a lot of sense to me if you have the resources. But I would want them to complement each other, not be the same: A big plow-type bike for gnarly courses and a lighter agile rig for tighter courses. You've already got one covered with the M6, so why not get something completely different?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Two DH bikes makes a lot of sense to me if you have the resources. But I would want them to complement each other, not be the same: A big plow-type bike for gnarly courses and a lighter agile rig for tighter courses. You've already got one covered with the M6, so why not get something completely different?
Yeah got to agree there! :D But get what you want, i think the V10 will be the closest

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
This is highly subjective of course, but the most recent Dirt Mag reviewed the V10 vs. the Driver 8 and briefly mentioned that they liked the V10 much more than the M6.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
This is highly subjective of course, but the most recent Dirt Mag reviewed the V10 vs. the Driver 8 and briefly mentioned that they liked the V10 much more than the M6.
When did you get your latest dirt? I know it takes longer to get here than to the states but this month it takes loooooooong to get to me.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It might have something to do with the M6 not being made anymore....

For example, I'm always keeping my eyes out for a suitable replacement for my Sinister R9 when I do need to completely retire it (likely not soon), or just find a used one in flossy shape.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
When did you get your latest dirt? I know it takes longer to get here than to the states but this month it takes loooooooong to get to me.
I got mine on the 14th. I was worried that it got lost in the mail, but it's finally here!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Liked the V10 more than the M6?

They must have had a ****in ****ty build on that M6....
They had this totally pimped out M6 a while back and didn't take it to proper tracks and said they didn't like it. And with whatever bike they normally test they say "I just wonder how good it will be with an CCDB" and when the M6 came with one they said "I wonder how much more balanced it would feel with a Manitou shock" (it had a Dorado up front). I don't get it. :confused:

Fred.dh

Chimp
Feb 16, 2006
Brazil
They had this totally pimped out M6 a while back and didn't take it to proper tracks and said they didn't like it. And with whatever bike they normally test they say "I just wonder how good it will be with an CCDB" and when the M6 came with one they said "I wonder how much more balanced it would feel with a Manitou shock" (it had a Dorado up front). I don't get it. :confused:
i dont know about you guys.. but always when i read dirt (steve jones comments) ... they always seems to be manipulated... u know... i ve read he testing a lot of good bikes and on the final of article he always said "GOOD, BUT THE ORANGE IS BETTER... blablabla" ...... i think the bike have suit the riding style and personal preferences of the rider..... one bike that 1 love maybe the bike that other one hate............ but Dirt for me ...:mad::mad:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My plan here is to give some real advise, not just a sarcastic comment.

I have an m6 right now. I really like how the bike rides and the geo is very good on the bike. but it is a plow bike and that is the only thing that i do not like. I would say if you really like the m6 and the geo get the 951, it has the same geo pretty much and it feels much livelier.
In a responce to your statement...... I underline a statement in the first post

He is asking for sugestions for a bike that rides the same/simular, Your suggestion makes alot of sense in my mind, two bikes, that ride differently or different applications. In reality, you just sugegsted exactly what everyone else has said, you just used a different approach to saying it.

Again, the idea of two DH bikes that ride the same/similar baffles me. Why spend that kind of cash for two bikes that do/feel the same. Two DH bikes, with two totally different setups, that handle and act differently make sense to me. This all of coarse, being you are able to have multiple 4k plus bikes available for the same sport.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i dont know about you guys.. but always when i read dirt (steve jones comments) ... they always seems to be manipulated... u know... i ve read he testing a lot of good bikes and on the final of article he always said "GOOD, BUT THE ORANGE IS BETTER... blablabla" ...... i think the bike have suit the riding style and personal preferences of the rider..... one bike that 1 love maybe the bike that other one hate............ but Dirt for me ...:mad::mad:
Not really he just compares a lot of bikes to the oranges because they kida are the benchmark in bike geometry and as this is prolly the bike he knows best it's a good comparison. He also compares to the new makulu, sundays or m6's. Depends of the review.
I really regained respect for him when he got the balls to be not so positive on the 2stage and the Corsair Crown everyone is hyping.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
thanks for the suggetion guys....I really took into consideration of having another smaller/lighter bike bike.

bear in mind I already have a SXT for FR/light DH purpose(with adjustable single crown 140mm-180mm, it's weight around 35-36lbs)

would the driver 8 or 951 be a good option to me?

thanks

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I own an Intense M6, and have ridden my friends 951 briefly. I felt right at home on the 951, felt spot on right away. It does feel a bit more nibble, and a bit lighter(Even though they weigh the same) so if you are looking for something similar, I would say get the 951

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I realy like the geometry on the M6, this is the reason why I was looking for similar bike to the M6. but after some thought and consideration,the idea of having different bike is also acceptable.in a way that the bike has different suspension design or "how it react" etc etc

the geometry I was talking about is more into the HT angle, TT length, wheel base, etc etc

here's the list, from what I've got in mind:
951,session 88, demo 8, Foes RS7

any suggestion?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Wait what? 951 has very close geo but RS7 is close to m6 in terms of geo? Besides foes try to market it as a DH bike it's more of a downhillable FR bike. There is a geo chart link on this page for the 2010 so there you can compare the numbers. Is it only me or you just want to spend some money on some bling? Because looking at the range of your choices it seems like it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ok...fair enough...I taking off RS7
Just look for different bikes around RM as there were many topics and reviews about more agile dh bikes. If you really want an agile dh bike don't go with FRish geo as it will be close to your sxt and not really feel as good on the dh courses as a more lively dh bike. The cheapest option imho would be the DHRs that are on the go-ride but if you got cash something like the 951 and much compared to it 303R are worth the mention. I'd also look at some lower single pivot bikes.