Quantcast

Shovel coatings? I'm tired of the stickiness...

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
All -

Any suggestions for sticky shovel syndrome?

If our soil is even slightly damp it sticks to shovel like glue, and just builds up each time I take a scoop. It's especially annoying when packing.

I already throw dry on the lips before smacking, and smear pack, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

Is there a certain type of shovel or coating that would help prevent this?

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
With digging, i try to tap the wheel barrel every time i dump a scoop. Basically tap the metal sleeve that goes over the handle. This helps slow down the build up.

Usually soft/loose wet dirt cakes up the most. If i see the blade building up with dirt, i'll try to cut into harder dirt with the next scoop. This usually cleans the blade as your cutting in and the next scoop should be a clean drop.

With Packing, I use carpet or even tarp if there isn't anything close. But usually thin high traffic carpet works good. You wont see the face perfectly when your packing but you get use to it pretty quick. The thin carpet is sometimes a blessing when packing cause it absorbs some of the shock your wrist and elbows take.

Keep up the great work Beast =)

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
In the past I have sprayed the shovel head with pam before digging. it will go stick free for a while but eventually your are going to have to re-apply

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
I had to scrape up a bunch of used motor oil somebody had spilled
and my shovel was nice and stick free for a while,
but that's not really something I was going for.
See if its sharp (obviously not like a knife) and not twisted too.
If it has a warp or bend, it'll clump there.
If it's a gnarly persistent problem I'm sure there's a way
to make it better tho.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Look at it this way, sounds like you have good dirt ;)

I love it when I strike it rich with some sticky clay, orange gold, Mmmmmm good sh!t

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
throw a bed sheat over the area you are packing and pack away. Once you got a good pack on it, take the sheet off and continue. It shouldnt stick to the shovel. If its still sticking a sprinkle dry clay over the area till you get the consistancy that wont stick.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
The key to have the soil not stick to the shovel is having just the perfect amount of water on the dirt. Too much and it will be muddy, stick to the shovel, and not pack very well. Too little water... and well its not going to get you anywhere. So just spray it down and wait like 5 min for it to soak in and start packing. If it sticks to the shovel let it dry a bit more. It really isn't that complicated.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I actually figured out a way to beat the system. Instead of smear packing the way you usually do in a downward and back motion. Apply pressure on the shovel and push forward. I guarantee you will not have any stickage. It takes a lot of shovel technique but you will get it down.