Quantcast

Should my wheel be all the way in my dropout?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
If I get it all of the way in it rubs my chainstay.
I just put a new tire on, the old one was a 2.0, new one is a 2.1....that shouldn't matter....should it????

It is the drive side that is not all the way back....the other side is snug.

I always have problems changing my rear tire/tube.

:confused:

-TN

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Something is wrong. You need to check your tire. Make sure everything is on properly. Your 2.1 might be too wide for your bike. At any rate yes, your wheel should be all the way in its drop out.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Take the skewer out and then re-insert the wheel. Make sure it is in straight. Now re-insert the skewer. Also make sure your rear derailer is on the smallest cog to ease entry.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
It is also possible that your wheel dish is off. If the wheel only rubs on one side and you have plenty of room on the other, you need to center your wheel between the chainstays.

I've had similar problems before caused by switching to wider wheels/tires. When I was in the little chainring, my rear tire would grind the front derailleur. So, yes the tire and rim width do make a difference. I would think that most modern frames should be able to accomodate a 2.1 tire, though.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The wheel was fine before I put the new tire on & I had this problem the last time I fixed a flat, but I worked with it & finally it was allright.

But this is day two now....& I am starting to get pissed.

It is also possible that your wheel dish is off. If the wheel only rubs on one side and you have plenty of room on the other, you need to center your wheel between the chainstays.
Yes, there is plenty of room on the non-drive side, but the drive side is the one that rubs....& rubs is an understatement...It wont even move.
When I get it all of the way in the dropout the wheel looks slightly (half a c*&nt hair) tilted

I am mechanically able (besides a $hitty collection of tools).....but I ALWAYS have trouble when I work on my bike...WTF?!?!

thanks for the help....If I cant get it right tonight, its off to the LBS, i guess.

-TN

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

PS- would going from a 2.0 to a 2.1 really matter that much?? It looks like it is off by more the just the difference of .1.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Sounds like a dish problem to me. Yes going from a 2.0 to 2.1 can be a huge difference because there is little consistency in tire measurements. Plus the measurement usually refers to casing width. So side knobs which stick out a lot can be a problem. A 2.1 XC Fire Pro is way narrower than a 2.1 Intense XC tire. Go figure.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My girlfriend dropped it off at the LBS (I had to work early :( ).

I dont know what was wrong....besides I am a retard, but it is fixed & I am getting a new drive train!!!!!
WOO-HOO!!!

I cant wait till friday!!!

:D
-TN