Quantcast

Should I cut my 2008 boxxer world cup steertube with a hacksaw?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A hacksaw is a better method for cutting steerer tubes or seatposts than a pipe cutter. Use a guide if you can, but if you can't.. honestly, it won't matter too much since it's not fitting flush with anything. An old stem works pretty well for a guide.

Lots of discussions in the tech forum on this. A hacksaw is, ideally, a better tool.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I use a pipe cutter and use a dremel to grind the sharp edges smooth. Park makes a tool to help keep a straight cut when using a hacksaw. and then you could use a file to smooth down the sharp edges. You could go either route. Both will work well.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hacksaw is the only way in my opinion because it doesn't stress the pipe and doesn't flair the top. i have see one steerer tube crack do to a pipe cutter being used

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Put a stem on clamp it up with an old spacer as a sacrificial guide to cut against and use a hacksaw, will be straight and you won't knacker more than a dollar's worth of components - easy as you like.

HTH

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
A hacksaw is a better method for cutting steerer tubes or seatposts than a pipe cutter. Use a guide if you can, but if you can't.. honestly, it won't matter too much since it's not fitting flush with anything. An old stem works pretty well for a guide.
well, if you really screw it up, the stem cap might not pre-load the headset bearings properly.

two old stems works even better. but Park does sell a guide which works well too.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
well, if you really screw it up, the stem cap might not pre-load the headset bearings properly.
as long as the steerer is below the top of the stem / spacers, it doesn't matter how ragged the cut is. i just cut mine freehand then chamfer w/ a file. works fine (as long as i havent had too many beers beforehand).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
A hack saw is the proper way to cut a steerer, ALL steerers, including carbon, a proper guide is the way to go, but if one is not readily available, I would suggest the stem, and one spacer method. Works well, may cost you the spacer if anything.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
as long as the steerer is below the top of the stem / spacers, it doesn't matter how ragged the cut is. i just cut mine freehand then chamfer w/ a file. works fine (as long as i havent had too many beers beforehand).
Actually I find six beers or more makes for a better job.:busted:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Two words: Sawsall. :) Jonas and I pioneered this method years ago at Interbike when we were building up proto Sovereigns on the tradeshow floor and were short on tools. It was so gratifying to rip through a pain-in-the-ass job like that in seconds, I'll never go back to a hacksaw!!

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I used the hacksaw with a rubber fork bumper for a guide then filed it down even and it came out fine. thanks guys

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Two words: Sawsall. :) Jonas and I pioneered this method years ago at Interbike when we were building up proto Sovereigns on the tradeshow floor and were short on tools. It was so gratifying to rip through a pain-in-the-ass job like that in seconds, I'll never go back to a hacksaw!!
That would work quite well!!!

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
Measure twice cut once! Cutting to short is an expensive, frustrating mistake. If you aren't already set on bar height, leave some room to try some different spacer/stem combos, you can always cut it down again later.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
If you are ever cutting bars, using two ODI lock clamps works great for a guide. nice straight cut for bars (where it does matter to have a straight cut)

Kyle,

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj

Lots of discussions in the tech forum on this. A hacksaw is, ideally, a better tool.

if you use a pipe cutter wont it make a lip on it, and cause the star nutto come loose? i only use a pipe cutter on seat posts.. cause im always afraid of it

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Holy crap, this therad is still going?

A Pipe cutter has a way of causing Minute stress fractures in the metal of a steerer. Even seatposts I will use a hacksaw....Mainly because it takes a fraction of the time.

I havnt seent he failures myself, But when chatting up one of the Marz techs, he told me they wouldnt warranty a steerer failure if it was cut with a pipe cutter, soooo aparantly there is something too that.