Quantcast

Shortest Boxxer Direct Mount Stem ??

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jimmy - didn't I sell you one of my new Michi Comp 32's a while back...? :)

Anyway, it is ENTIRELY possible that (a certain company) may be coming out with a pimp 22mm Boxxer DM stem... at least I know they have a proto right now... PM me for details.

:biggrin:

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007

Anyway, it is ENTIRELY possible that (a certain company) may be coming out with a pimp 22mm Boxxer DM stem... at least I know they have a proto right now... PM me for details.

hmmm...could it be the one with the black cat's number?...:lighten:

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
Funn RSX has 2 settings, 45mm and 55 mm. $46 at AEBike. Don't work there, I just have one and think for the money it's tough to beat.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

THat would require the steer tube to be cut flush with the top crown...or at least the bar to be raised higher than the t0p surface of the steer tube....or maybe split bar. How about clip ons that attach directly to the stanchion?

It seems like the increments are so small at this point, what is the point?.

I will say however that it strikes me as odd (stupid really) that it is nearly length no range in DM stems. I have an e13 because in reality it was the longest available at 55mm....what if womeone were tall, or with more and more slack head angles, getting weight is more important.....

50mm does NOT fit all.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nope looking for the one with the lowest stack height. I have an e13 at the moment and reckon its pretty low but would like lower

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
nope looking for the one with the lowest stack height. I have an e13 at the moment and reckon its pretty low but would like lower
the sunline looks a little bit lower than everything else. the sites dont have the rise except Funn which is 30 degrees

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Shortest would probably be the Syncros, but it's insanely high.

The lowest would be either the pointoneracing or the Sunline. They're both lower than the Funn RSX and lighter.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
THat would require the steer tube to be cut flush with the top crown...or at least the bar to be raised higher than the t0p surface of the steer tube....or maybe split bar. How about clip ons that attach directly to the stanchion?

It seems like the increments are so small at this point, what is the point?.

I will say however that it strikes me as odd (stupid really) that it is nearly length no range in DM stems. I have an e13 because in reality it was the longest available at 55mm....what if womeone were tall, or with more and more slack head angles, getting weight is more important.....

50mm does NOT fit all.
Well - the decision to make a 22mm DM stem for a Boxxer is the company's idea, so that's their call. Yes, it is pretty short, but Jimmy Pop was asking if there was a super-short DM stem out there for the Boxxer soooooo....

But don't you think there's a pretty big difference between a 22mm stem and a 45 - 55mm stem? That's a pretty large incremental difference to me.

You must be a pretty big guy if you aren't comfrotable with a 50mm stem - I'm 5'11" and a 50mm 08' RSX works fine for me on my Sunday. But that's really it isn't it? Everyone is different. Some require or prefer a 55+mm stem and some like Jimmy like to rock it stubby... Variety - you know? Eventually once more and more companies start making DM's (Thomson, Easton, Truvativ (already has a BlackBox proto - but is not the one I am referring to) more and more choices will become available if there is demand.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
reading what I wrote, it is obvious that I was not that clear .......

I guess I was thinking of the increment from minimal traditional construction where the bar would not overlap the steer tube (roughly 26-27mm) vs the 22 mm which would involve a whole host of design changes due to the bar/steertube overlap.

I was also trying to make the point that there is really zero (or near zero) options for direct mount stem lengths. Traditional stems (if you limit then to DH lengths and types) are available from 40 to 70mm pretty readily. DM stems are 50mm or 50mm or 50mm.......I am 6' even and ride a 55mm stem on a medium Sunday but in all reality (actually available for purchace somewhere) the e 13 was the ONLY choice with ANY option longer than 50mm.

I just find it interesting that in road, XC, or AM riding, frames come in many sizes, and generally a rider will try a couple of different stem sizes on a new frame to get things dialed (even when soem road frames come in single cm increments).
On a DH bike.....anyone from 5'8" to 6' 2" ride the same size frame ....and then put the same size stem on it. There is never even the discussion of 'fitting' a stem to rider size. I think for a lot of people there would be a 'better' length of stem to use if one were available. With frame front/centers getting shorter, and head tube angles approaching 63*....getting weight forward is going to become a skill that will be necessary for proper traction. A longer stem can go a LONG way in helping get a bit more weight up front where it should be.
More choices certainly seem like something that is late in comming.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I gotta rofLOL at all the old school companies coming back...controlTECH? Nuke Proof? Answer? funny....I expect to see Outland making frames again soon...or hanebrink