Quantcast

Shock suggestions

Which Shock for a Freerider?

• Total voters

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
This is cross-posted in the Freeride forum, but I'd like to know if there is any different input from the DH crowd.

OK, here's the basics:

Sinister Splinter MX; freerider (WA, BC, North Shore/Whistler - which means I do pedal up from time to time); working up to the 8'+ range for drops (which I like); jumps and gaps are rapidly improving; ~200 lbs in all my gear. Currently running a stock 5th Element w/a 500 lb spring which is going to cost more to service than it is worth. :disgust: Fork is a modified Sherman Breakout + which is really quite nice (after the mods).

What shock would you run, given the choice between a Fox DHX 5, Avy Montie, Avy Chubie, Marzocchi ROCO - and WHY?

Thanks for the input!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Some of it depends on price...what can you get these shocks for?

IMO, the ROCO was a "hey, we need to make a shock too, guys" move for marzocchi. The ones I've seen have been unimpressive and needed work out of the box. I don't think they offer anything in terms of advanced performance/adjusters.

The DHX is next on my list. I think these are cheaper and more common than most, and they work well...

Avalanches monite/chubie I think are the same/similar shock. Avalanches are very durable and provide consistent damping for a very long time.

I voted avy, but i'd pick up a dhx if it were cheaper. If not, avalanche.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DHX for the adjustability.
Bieng able to crank the propedal makes a difference on long climbs.
The Rocco is more of a full on DH shock, no platform.

Cane Creek double barrel?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
DHX for the adjustability.
Bieng able to crank the propedal makes a difference on long climbs.
The Rocco is more of a full on DH shock, no platform.
Exactly my thoughts. Propedal sure is handy.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Yes, what about a Cane Creek DB? Anybody know where to get one for less than the cost of my firstborn child?

I'm still gathering prices for the others.

What I need is a shop that stocks a whole bunch and will let me demo them on my bike.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
DHX for price and propedal feature. What about the Roco TST, maybe a cheaper option than the DHX, I'm pretty sure prices are better for the Roco World Cup than DHX 5.0 but I could be wrong..

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
After coming from a Avy DHS to a fox dhx5. There is no question that the Avy is a much better shock. Will be ordering one soon for my new frame.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What I need is a shop that stocks a whole bunch and will let me demo them on my bike.
Yeah, like you'll ever find that shop. :rolleyes:

Have you considered a home rebuild of your 5th? There are a couple threads here with instructions and somewhere on the Manitou website there are factory rebuild instructions for the Swinger, which is essentially the same shock. If it's like my 5th it can't be rebuilt without some new metal parts and nobody has those metal parts anymore. One of these days I'll get my franken5th put together using the parts from two different shocks with different i2i and strokes.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
I went from Avy DHS to Manitou Swinger X6 and never looked back. It's an awesome shock and I'd highly recommend it.
On your Splinter? Really? What was it about the Avy you did not like?

Right now I am seriously considering the Avy Chubie, with the DHX in 2nd place. Price wise I am looking (after shipping, etc) at around a $125 difference between the two.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Rigidhack, I made the switch on my r9 I no long own my splinter, but on the R9 the DHS had a real dead feeling compared to the X6. Sandwich it's a '08 SFS Swinger X6 not the sh*t spv, I never liked the SPV swingers but i figured i'd give the SFS a try and I'm glad i did.