Quantcast

Shock replacement suggestions...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ok, here be my Sh!tuation:

I've gotta '01 Marin Wolf Ridge (i.e. Monocoque Single Pivot with 4-6" of travel) with a Fox Vanilla R Coil Over...The shock I2I is freakin 7.25", which as it turns out, is because Fox specially made these shocks for Marin. So needless to say, I cannot find a replacement shock with the same I2I. The main reason why I'm considering a replacement is the shock bottoms out in 6 inch mode fairly easily and actually allows the rear tyre to rub the seat tube (this is with the 650 lb spring). I should also mention, that with the head angle set at 69 degrees, it apparently makes the latter part of the travel VERY linear in the 6 inch mode - which would offer some explanantion as to why it bottoms out easily in 6 inch mode. With a heavier spring (850 lb, which according to two spring calculators and the tech guy at Fox, is what I need for my body weight), the thing seems WAY oversprung and requires that I crank down the rebound damper almost all the way just so is seems somewhat damped and not overly bouncy. In fact, I got the rebound knob turned a good ways down on the 650 spring, so I don't believe a 750 lb spring or whatever would help much. The other problem (I think anyway) is that I've become accustomed to the mega-damped feel of the 5th Element on my Bullit, so most any other shock is going to feel somewhat springy to me (epsecially a fox)...Hell, I feel like my 40 something pound Bullit is easier to pedal uphills than my 33 lb Marin - so I really do like the SPV aspect of the 5th...

So what to do, what to do?

a.) For chits and giggles, try a 750 lb spring and hope for the best.

b.) See if Romic (or someone like them) would make a 7.25 I2I for me...Sounds way expensive though.

c.) Throw on a 7.5 I2I and see what happens. This sounds like a real bad idea, but I wasn't sure if 0.25" in I2I length would make a huge difference.

d.) Quit b!tching and just give up (i.e. leave it in 5 inch mode and avoid any drop over 3 feet).

e.) Wear earplugs while I'm riding so I don't hear it bottom out.

Thoughts?