Quantcast

Shiver on a VP Free, anyone done it?

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Well, i have a shiver, and a VP free, but i have not put the two together yet. My guess is that it will ride nice, but the shiver will be heavy as hell. I will be selling said shiver very soon if anyone is interested, its an 04' which was custom race tuned by marzocchi, it is the plushest fork i have ever ridden. I will also try the shiver on that bike when i get the chance.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've seen a few around but don't have any pics. If you're already rolling a free, find the Shiver axle-crown dimension and compare to your current fork, that will give you a guesstimate.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
My riding bud, Mark rides this setup...05 VPP /05 shiver. He opted for the Shiver over the 888 due to the fact that the 888 without the flat crowns choppered it a bit too much. He is running this with a single ring and we mostly FR/DH. Its a med. and I ride a small so I can't give you my review but he seems to like it alot and he hasn;t experiened any negative issues. Personally, I favor the 888 but the shiver is a good fork none the less. My .02 cents.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
joelsman said:
radarr on this site has his w/ a shiver and a rocco
Sure did. It was a great setup, too. Now I'm rocking an 888 RC2x with the Roco.

I don't have any good pics right now - I'm sitting in class listening to... uh, I guess I'm just surfing the Monkey. I'll post some pics later.

As for the ride, it rode awesome. I used it at Whistler, for races, and for hucking - it was really nice. I never had any issues keeping up with other riders, and the bike really felt balanced. I rode it for a long time with the Shiver, then had a little mishap with a 66. That lasted for one ride. The geometry was a really nice all-around big bike set of numbers.

All in all, the Shiver will make your Free really nice. And it looks cool, too. Only reason I switched to the 888 is that I wanted something new. I'm kind of a bike whore like that.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Shiver a-c height is 572mm - about the same as an 888 w/ flat crowns. My Shiver weighed roughly 9.25lb. I read the 888's are close to 8lb. I ran a Shiver on my Bullit for a while which didn't feel too heavy. Purchased an 888 for my Free build up as I actually want a taller a-c height and a little less weight.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Cant Climb said:
you can run the Shiver at 21.9 AC.....the tire rubs the crown once in awhile....
I have my '04's set at 555mm A-2-C and it has clearance for a 2.7 Mobster on Mag 30's. I always test clearance with the top caps removed and the forks fully collapsed. I also see in my notes that it weighs 8.52 lbs although I don't remember with axle or what. Great forks.