Quantcast

Shimano Zee on Gambler

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Hi Guys !

I have a gambler 30 2014 and I just bought some rear Zee Brakes. I have the stock rear brake and rotor.
Did anyone made the same upgrade on a gambler.
I don't know if I need an adapter. Maybe I can keep the avid adaptor ? And if I need another I don't know wich one.
I read some things about those adaptors but I really don't understand how to choose the right one.
I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks !

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
If the rotor size is the same, You can use the same adaptor.

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
If the rotor size is the same, You can use the same adaptor.
Yeah, i won't change the rotor. But i was wondering if the screw distance or the form of the mounting changes on the zee than on the elixir 1.
Thank you !
I will keep you updated if it worked !

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
The zee should bolt straight on to the adapter. The elixers use all those funky spacers, but those aren't needed on the zee's.

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
so i had a 200mm brake rotor and some elixirs 1 on it with 60mm is adapter
the zee worked perfectly on it. the brake cable is just a little too long.

And anyone would recommend good front brakes ? not too powerfull. (don't want to look up front wheel all the time and do OTB's ;))
i tought about the deore from shimano

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
why not get a matching pair? i switched from elixers to zee's and its been a night and day difference.. dont worry.. you wont go OTB as long as you know how to.. brake properly

i had to do some tweaking to get my zee's to set up on my bike, i bought a 180mm shimano rear brake adapter and all was cherry

i have a long rear brake cable.. did not want to mess with cutting, then rebleeding, so the hose is kind of curled on the front of my bike.. no biggy

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
why not get a matching pair? i switched from elixers to zee's and its been a night and day difference.. dont worry.. you wont go OTB as long as you know how to.. brake properly

i had to do some tweaking to get my zee's to set up on my bike, i bought a 180mm shimano rear brake adapter and all was cherry

i have a long rear brake cable.. did not want to mess with cutting, then rebleeding, so the hose is kind of curled on the front of my bike.. no biggy
My hose too :D
I went riding today with my zee's on the rear brake. It's more powerful ! but it's pretty hard to brake lineary. You block the wheel pretty quick (ON/OFF). It's good to do quick rear wheel drifts. But on a steep trail it's difficult not to block
I would like to try first a zee on the front brake to test the power.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co

Nice thing about shimano, no need to rebleed. Just watch a few videos and take your time.