Quantcast

Shimano Zee cranks... good bang for the buck?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Starting a new DH build and am unable to swap a lot of stuff over. Old bike 73mm and 135.... New 83 and 150.
Trying to save $ but don't want to have it be a total budget build.

Anyone have any experience with the Zee since they were released?

Couldn't find much on published weights vs Saints.

Or, should I just save the dough and go with Saint M815s? They're going for a pretty good price over on Chain Reaction with free shipping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Man, if you can afford them, saint 810s are great cranks. I got comments from multiple people on how stiff my cranks were on an 8" travel sunday. Never had any problem with them except for the ano wearing off. The big fat tabs take some patience on setup, but once you're in...

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yeah... am edging toward the M815s (need 83mm BB). Been still beating on sets of Hones on both the trail and DH bikes for a WHILE with zero issues.
To tell you the truth, the "cheap" look of the Zee model is putting me off. Hadn't heard that they were rebadged Deores before but then again, I don't think that I ever bothered to take even a quick glance at a Deore crank. Could very well be.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My only input (cause I can) is the Shimano rep himself said he'd build his rig up with all Zee, except cranks. But his only reason was the weight of the Zee's was massive.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario

From what I have read and can see the zee cranks seem to be deore with pedal inserts and steel axle. No idea whether they use the same material for the crank arms or not. The shape looks very similar.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA

From what I have read and can see the zee cranks seem to be deore with pedal inserts and steel axle. No idea whether they use the same material for the crank arms or not. The shape looks very similar.
Which is kindof like my Hones were/are anyway.... And I've had no issues with them on either bike. The Zees definitely look chintzy compared to the Saints.... but with the $ saved.... I could buy the cassette, etc....
Those weight photos kind of have me convinced. I expected the Zee to be a boat anchor compared to the Saints... If I trash the Zees... So what?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Made in Malaysia (and not Japan)... :(

edit: but for the price, you can't complain.

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
And it's a shimano crank. No worries about it exploding halfway down the mountain. Peace of mind for sure.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The zee cranks use 6000 series alloy, non hollowtech construction and a pedal insert. My experience has been much like kidwoo's, 6k cranks bend more easily than 7k. Cranks are a key item and no place to skimp if you ride hard, jump and deal with techy rock gardens (and the tight spots you get in). I would rather pay more initially and never have to worry again about my cranks. Get saint cranks and be done with it. If you are light, smooth and are lucky I would give zee cranks a 2 to 3 season lifespan with regular dh use.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The zee cranks use 6000 series alloy, non hollowtech construction and a pedal insert. My experience has been much like kidwoo's, 6k cranks bend more easily than 7k. Cranks are a key item and no place to skimp if you ride hard, jump and deal with techy rock gardens (and the tight spots you get in). I would rather pay more initially and never have to worry again about my cranks. Get saint cranks and be done with it. If you are light, smooth and are lucky I would give zee cranks a 2 to 3 season lifespan with regular dh use.
If you are light and smooth why not just get a lighter descendant?

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
If you are light and smooth why not just get a lighter descendant?
Descendants flex..............a lot. I never noticed it on my old frame but on the new one I have to have 3 bb spacers on the non drive side to stop the crank gouging into the frame.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Descendants flex..............a lot. I never noticed it on my old frame but on the new one I have to have 3 bb spacers on the non drive side to stop the crank gouging into the frame.
Are you light? If not the Zee is also not a great option. Also you have new gravity lights from 7050 alu which are stiffer than the old ones. You also have e13's. Hell even SLX is lighter than zee.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Are you light? If not the Zee is also not a great option. Also you have new gravity lights from 7050 alu which are stiffer than the old ones. You also have e13's. Hell even SLX is lighter than zee.
SLX crank arms are marginally heavier than XT. It's the rings that make up most of the weight difference. I had no problems with my SLX. They're basically the same weight as XT, supposedly 100% stiffer (they made that claim a couple of years ago when they came out with them) and much cheaper. No 83mm though so not much help here.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
SLX crank arms are marginally heavier than XT. It's the rings that make up most of the weight difference. I had no problems with my SLX. They're basically the same weight as XT, supposedly 100% stiffer (they made that claim a couple of years ago when they came out with them) and much cheaper. No 83mm though so not much help here.
Still XT's can be made into 83mm so there is something here ;) Never felt the lack of stiffness on my old xc bike but I'm light.