Quantcast

Shimano XT disc question

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I've got a set of XT discs that I have used on and off for three years. I'm looking to put them on my dj bike, but I have one problem. I really need to replace the hoses/lines and really don't want to use that banjo fitting to attach it to the lever assembly/master cylinder. I've seen shimano sponsored riders bike outiffted with a hose that comes straight out of the lever assembly in traditional style (ala, hayes, hope, etc). What is this line, kit, or what parts do I need to track down to do this? In that I need new lines, I'm probably going to get Goodridge, as my lbs has them in stock and I've heard nothing but good things about their performance gains.

I want to get away from that banjo fitting, I've searched the net for a few days not (forums, shimano's website, etc) and come up empty handed. I know someone has to know what I am talking about and looking for, so please help clue me in!

J.K.R

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Germany
I´ve tried the same with my 02´s Disc but it wasn´t possible to mount the BH62 Hose, because of differen´t diameters in the lever thread.
Maybe email to Goodridge if such a hose is available in their product line!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Magura lines will fit. Someone in another thread recently put an XT lever on a Magura brake and said it worked AOK.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
The lines that come out like Hayes are the new style levers. They're M-756 levers, the older banjo-fitting ones are M-755. As far as I know they aren't compatible -- i.e. you can't run the straight-out Shimano hoses on the 755 levers.

If you're going to use Goodridge though, it may not be an issue. Regardless, the Goodridge kit for your levers is gonna be the only option you have as far as attaching those lines to it.

If you want Shimano black hoses (I highly recommend) for the 755s, you need BH61 hose, for the 756 levers, you use BH62 hose. The only difference as far as I can tell is the hardware provided with the hose kit.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Since it is the lines that suck and not the fittings, why not keep the 90deg banjo and only replace the line? Seems like that would be a lot cheaper and easier.

B

bighitfsr

the m755s are better than the m756 for this reason.
The 90deg fitting allows the fitting to move a little if a line snags stopping the line being ripped out of the lever.
The goodridge fittings for the m755 brakes is also 90deg.
I two bike with m755 and goodridge and love the setup.

XTs with M755s modulate better than anything else I've tried (incuding hope M4s, havent tried mono hopes, gustavs or juicys).
The stock stainless lines really let the brakes down you can see the lines bulging as you cycle the lever.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Goodridge brake line kits come with both connectors, i recently got one and it provided 2 bango fittings and 1 straight, so it covers any possible XT situation. BTW, i saw worlds of difference by using goodridge.