Quantcast

setting up a totem as a 160mm?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
so i have an extra totem 2step i would like to run on my trail bike. is it possible to set this thing up as a 160mm fork like you can on a solo-air? will the 2step still work? i guess the alternative is to get a lyrik...

thanks!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
so i have an extra totem 2step i would like to run on my trail bike. is it possible to set this thing up as a 160mm fork like you can on a solo-air? will the 2step still work? i guess the alternative is to get a lyrik...

thanks!

pop things open and see if you can stick some all-travel spacers in somewhere to drop it down?

otherwise, what woo suggested. my totem is a 2step converted to solo air and dropped to 160mm - feels good! you then have the option to bump it back to 180mm on a bigger bike later, should you want.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
fancy seeing you 2 post in my thread :rolleyes:

yeah, ripped into the 2step, not seeing any way to make it happen........

so yeah, i guess i can jsut try to score a solo-air internal and knock her down.

scrubby, still have that 66? let me see if the steer is long enough.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i have a solo air and if anyone fancy posting a howto on reducing it to 160ish then i would be very much appreciated. i aint had a pair of totems apart before so am a bit paranoied about doing it first time without defo instructions.
and yes i did a search
and yes aim drunk

Feb 2, 2008
Santa Cruz
This is my Solo Air at 160mm :)

Lowering it is very easy to do but it might be a bit difficult if you've never taken a fork apart before.

Sram Tech Manual Has everything you need to know. Pages 11, 54, and 65 should be helpful for you.

Last edited:

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
because that would involve spending even more money.that and i wou would like to steepen out the h/a on my sx trail. and im under the impression that 180 voids the warranty.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Isn't SRAM still replacing the 2-steps w/ either a coil or solo air? If so, get a solo air and lower it. Might want to call SRAM and ask if they would just replace it with a Lyrik...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
so yeah, i guess i can jsut try to score a solo-air internal and knock her down.
i have been thinking about it more, and there is no where to put the spacer above the neg. spring, but i think i can make it work below it. shouldn't change anything function-wise, and will still create the needed extra length of the negative spring assembly. hmmmm....

hope its slow at work today. :D