Quantcast

Serious question about voting

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK, bear with me here if I'm totally off base.

The way I understand it, the majority of the states in this country are "givens", as in it is already known who will win. When a candidate wins a state, all the electoral votes for that state go to that candidate (except for Colorado).

I've read in numerous places that New York is assumed to be an easy win for the Democrats. Neither candidate has campaigned here at all that I know of.

So, no matter who I'm planning to vote for, why would I bother to vote at all? If I vote for Bush, it doesn't matter, because everyone knows Kerry will carry NY. If I vote for Kerry it doesn't matter, because he's going to win NY anyway.

Why the hell would anyone in NY bother voting at all? It seems like a complete waste of time.

I suppose I could go pull some levers so ideologically I can feel like my voice was heard, but that just seems stupid and naive to me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Maybe I should move to a "battleground state" where my vote actually matters.

Or I could move to a country where the political system actually works.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
If enough people on the side of the expected winner said "why vote?" and then didn't, then the other candidate would then get the votes.

Think of it as extra-overkill-insurance.

And you should vote for all the other things on the ballot that you may care about. It's not just the prez.

Remember:

"Voting gives you a legitimate excuse to complain."

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You do it because of the principle of the matter. Winning or losing is secondary to simply having the ability of voting. There are more things on the docket than the Presidential election even in your state i'm sure, and if you choose to resign your right, then you cannot complain. It should be noted that you can effect policy to a greater level by choosing wisely your candidates for the House and Senate since the devils in the details in a republic.
Whether it be apathy or fear of losing, ideally your vote will count. Even if being on the losing end, it stands as a number that can increase the percentage of those you have joined who wanted a certain candidate striving for certain ideals.
anyone like me can speak about all this crap we spin on in this forum, but it's all crap, when compared to a vote......

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If someone doesnt like any of them, and is not informed well enough to make an educated decision, I say dont vote, and complain all you want.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlySurly said:
If someone doesnt like any of them, and is not informed well enough to make an educated decision, I say dont vote, and complain all you want.
i'm gonna vote for someone to make it legal to tackle ignorant fisherman in Tennessee, and fart in their face at will.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
BurlySurly said:
Uh...yeah, why not?

Works for you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is typically more than presidential race on the ballot. You may have a Congressional race to vote for not to mention local issues. I'll be chiming in on a county initiative to open a off track betting parlor.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
There is typically more than presidential race on the ballot. You may have a Congressional race to vote for not to mention local issues. I'll be chiming in on a county initiative to open a off track betting parlor.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
There are definitely lots of dill holes I could vote for or against. All their negative ads and butt kissing piss me off just as much as this joke of a presidential election. I have yet to see a single candidate this year that is worthy of the office they are running for. I've been trying, I've been reading and researching. They are all corrupt ass kissing liars.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I have the same quandrary here in WA....a state that has been democratic for the last 20 years or more (yes I know that's only a few elections in the grand scheme of things - but to me that's my lifetime).

Yes they are all corrupt ass kissing liars who enjoy interns when they can...;) (6) and I have no intention of voting in the local elections either this year...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Echo said:
There are definitely lots of dill holes I could vote for or against. All their negative ads and butt kissing piss me off just as much as this joke of a presidential election. I have yet to see a single candidate this year that is worthy of the office they are running for. I've been trying, I've been reading and researching. They are all corrupt ass kissing liars.
Welcome to America.

Vote for the ever-so-slightly-not-so-evil choice. Just vote.

Good luck.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
What would happen should ever there be a regular working joe that makes it to the top...seriously?

Jr_Bullit for pres 2008? I'll even do a mudd wrestling contest with Hillary ;) (kidding of course, I won't be old enough - how about 2012?)

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Echo said:
OK, bear with me here if I'm totally off base.

The way I understand it, the majority of the states in this country are "givens", as in it is already known who will win. When a candidate wins a state, all the electoral votes for that state go to that candidate (except for Colorado).

I've read in numerous places that New York is assumed to be an easy win for the Democrats. Neither candidate has campaigned here at all that I know of.

So, no matter who I'm planning to vote for, why would I bother to vote at all? If I vote for Bush, it doesn't matter, because everyone knows Kerry will carry NY. If I vote for Kerry it doesn't matter, because he's going to win NY anyway.

Why the hell would anyone in NY bother voting at all? It seems like a complete waste of time.

I suppose I could go pull some levers so ideologically I can feel like my voice was heard, but that just seems stupid and naive to me.
Its a right. If you don't use it, they will take it away.
the Patriot act ver. 2.75 says so!
Chapter 5, paragraph 17, clause 3
"any right not used at least once a year, will be removed from said individual who will no longer be able to use said right ever, ever again."