Quantcast

Separation of Church and State

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Good or bad?

Since the further separation one could argue that the countries morals have deteriorated into drivel. (Columbine, rampant STD transmission, increased drug abuse, increased teenage suicide <over last 50 years>, increased teenage sex and pregnancy.)

OR

One could argue that the further separation of church and state ensures the liberties of growing religous cultures. (Muslim rights in the US)

OR

One could argue that a partial reintegration into the state might give stability and a healthier thought process of our leaders. Maybe we can introduce a higher degree of hope in the outlook and actions of our decision makers. Maybe the thought of accountability in the afterlife would curb unethical, selfish or dishonest practices from spreading like a disease among our politicians.

OR

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Our nation has far too many different cultures and religions - the separation should remain strong and clear. I strongly support our Constitution as is; I am firmly opposed to chipping away at this separation with any form of state sponsored or enabled religious practice in any publicly supported institution.

Don't think I am anti religion because I am not. I simply think all religious institutions are better off without public funding, intervention or support of any form. Being tax exempt is enough – God helps then who help themselves doesn’t mean religious institutions need access to the public coffer.

I’d just like to say, in advance, anything Damn True has to say on the subject is wrong. Thank you.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Good or bad?

Since the further separation one could argue that the countries morals have deteriorated into drivel. (Columbine, rampant STD transmission, increased drug abuse, increased teenage suicide <over last 50 years>, increased teenage sex and pregnancy.)

Columbine: That's a gun control issue, not a religious one. Also don't get me started on "the violent videogame and heavy metal music made me do it"

STDs: this has to do with religion?

Drug Abuse: I have seen many many, religious people who use/abuse drugs. There are religions based on it. I am an atheist and have not used drugs/alcohol even though I am 15 and virtually all my friends have.

Suicide: most times this is a medical problem. Other times it is a combination of many things, but i don't think you're going to cure a depression by saying "Come on, let's go to church."

Teenage Sex: what's wrong with that?

Originally posted by LoboDelFuego

Columbine: That's a gun control issue, not a religious one. Also don't get me started on "the violent videogame and heavy metal music made me do it"

STDs: this has to do with religion?

Drug Abuse: I have seen many many, religious people who use/abuse drugs. There are religions based on it. I am an atheist and have not used drugs/alcohol even though I am 15 and virtually all my friends have.

Suicide: most times this is a medical problem. Other times it is a combination of many things, but i don't think you're going to cure a depression by saying "Come on, let's go to church."

Teenage Sex: what's wrong with that?
Just for the record, I must again say that there is a vast difference between simple religion, and a spiritual relationship with (insert deity here). Granted, stepping foot in a church doesn't *blammo* get one converted or saved or all that, but that doesn't mean they're useless, either.