Quantcast

Self-adhering chainstay wrap material...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A couple of people were asking about the chainstay wrap material I use, and I picked up a fresh package of it today, so I thought I'd post it up, hope other people find it useful. I got it at Wal-Mart in the plumbing section, but it's also available in hardware stores.. sometimes in with the adhesives:

Self-adhering, no adhesives. Will never unwrap, but once you cut it off there is no residue on your frame. It's as burly as you want it to be - a couple layers will stop chainslap, a few more will stop rock gouges.

Here's what my chainstay looked like when I got done:

It's almost as useful as duct tape... I've used it for a dozen different applications.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
g33grant said:
but wont all that tack make the frame sticky if you take it off?
It's not tacky. It's just rubber, but it sticks to itself when stretched - there's no adhesive at all. I had this stuff on my Imperial for almost 2 years and when I removed it last month there wasn't even the most remote sign of a residue or any stickiness.

N8, haven't seen the 3M version... everything else in the adhesives and plumbers sections had some kind of sticky adhesive on it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
It's not tacky. It's just rubber, but it sticks to itself when stretched - there's no adhesive at all. I had this stuff on my Imperial for almost 2 years and when I removed it last month there wasn't even the most remote sign of a residue or any stickiness.

N8, haven't seen the 3M version... everything else in the adhesives and plumbers sections had some kind of sticky adhesive on it.

It's Scotch™ 23 Rubber Tape.. sticks to itself.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I use a tube and a zip tie. It works fine for me. I guess that it far lighter though (if you care that much).

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
bballe336 said:
I use a tube and a zip tie. It works fine for me. I guess that it far lighter though (if you care that much).
I have been doing that for years also, but I like high techy stuff like this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bballe336 said:
I don't care about weight... but this looks a lot nicer, and the stuff has a lot more uses than an old tube. Not to mention, it makes it easier to wrap the oddly shaped machined chainstay bridge.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bjanga said:
Cool! How did you manage to cut it off without scratching the Imperial? Carefully?
I just used a box cutter to slice through the top few layers, and then tore through the rest with my hands. The individual layers of the rubber aren't very strong, and are easy to tear if you get your fingers undrneath.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
3M "Friction tape" works well too. It is adhesive though (and kinda sticky) but its tough and looks good. Kinda funny, I picked up some of that pipe stuff to throw on my sink u-trap thingey while I was at the hardware store picking up some friction tape for my bike! I didn't even think about using that pipe stuff on my bike, i like how its not adhesive. lol

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
I don't care about weight... but this looks a lot nicer, and the stuff has a lot more uses than an old tube. Not to mention, it makes it easier to wrap the oddly shaped machined chainstay bridge.

3M rubber electrical tape is plain black and doesn't have all that white lettering on it too.

Like this:
:drool:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
mtnbrider said:
I should try that next. I have been using the stuff to keep pipes from sweating.
Okay I had to say something... did you buy that thomson seatpost for that bike? I'm not one to critique ones bike part choices but, screw it... why do you need a $100 post for that application?

Cool bike BTW, I always liked the looks of the Azonic stuff... AND, I have that same saddle. Just stopped using it last month. It lasted FOREVER.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
thank you for posting, i am going to get this stuff and something else to stop cable rub today!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
I'm not one to critique ones bike part choices
Clearly, you are :p

Why, for ANY reason, would you care enough to single out one solitary component from one person's bike and criticize their choice for it?

For all you know, he's got a full length post in there that he puts up on XC rides :rolleyes:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
binary visions said:

Why, for ANY reason, would you care enough to single out one solitary component from one person's bike and criticize their choice for it?

For all you know, he's got a full length post in there that he puts up on XC rides :rolleyes:
Seemed like a pretty innocent question to me. He wasn't a dick about it or anything and went on to compliment the bike.

I guess bike spec questions aren't allowed to be discussed. :wonky2:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
binary visions said:

I see your :rolleyes: and raise you a :monkey: and a :mumble:

"For all you know, he's got a full length post in there that he puts up on XC rides" would have answered my question, if he had posted that, I would have said, ahh... good choice then. However clearly a $100 CNC'd work of art seat post with ovalized innards and über strength is wasted when only 2" of it are exposed, eh... do you disagree?

EDIT: And I doubt the XC ride thing... look at the drivetrain.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
However clearly a $100 CNC'd work of art seat post with ovalized innards and über strength is wasted when only 2" of it are exposed, eh... do you disagree?
Yep, I do. Because there are plenty of parts on all of our bikes that we don't need and buy because we have some reason or another to want them.

I just think it's lame to criticize what people ride. I want to spend my money the way I want. I work for it. Who are you to say that my seatpost is too good for what I do with it?

EDIT: And I doubt the XC ride thing... look at the drivetrain.
I've never had a stable of bikes. My drivetrains have always looked very similar to that, because whatever bike I have has to do dual duty as an XC/trail bike and whatever other abuse I want to put it through.

I'm not really trying to give you a hard time, just pointing out that most of us aren't riding 100% purely functional parts. Cheap headsets turn as well as CK. Crappy stems still hold your bars in place. Deore still shifts your gears.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks for the tip BV.

As for the post choice, I would agree with BV. I ran the seat on my Endless about the same height, but I also did many a trail ride the required seated climbs. I bent 2 cheap-o posts before I sprung for a burly post.

Also, there might also be the "Only one that fits that we have in stock" option when building too. :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Guess I hit a nerve today.

Just to clarify... I asked the dude why he needed a $100 seat post for that application. I'm still curious why he made the choice... I'll know when he answers. I'm not gonna bash the guy, I'm just curious. Was I an A hole about it? I dont think I was. Where in this thread did I do something worthy of flaming?

Bycyclist... What do you want me to try again? My statement to "look at the drivetrain" (chain guides and no front derailer) is hardly more than an observation when I say I doubt that bike is doubling for XC.

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
For that application, I use cheapo spiral phone cord from Radio Shack. Same idea, cut off the connectors, and wrap the chainstay. I tie a single half hitch on both ends to keep it from unwraveling.

It's great because it comes in colors to suit your mood or your bike.

Will post a pic of it later.

Marc

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
S.n.a.k.e. said:
For that application, I use cheapo spiral phone cord from Radio Shack. Same idea, cut off the connectors, and wrap the chainstay. I tie a single half hitch on both ends to keep it from unwraveling.

Marc
\

Now that is a cool idea too!

:thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
S.n.a.k.e. said:

Marc
Pretty creative.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
<snip>
Just to clarify... I asked the dude why he needed a $100 seat post for that application. I'm still curious why he made the choice... I'll know when he answers. I'm not gonna bash the guy, I'm just curious. Was I an A hole about it? I dont think I was.
This would be considered quite a-holeish by most, I think:

golgiaparatus said:
Okay I had to say something... did you buy that thomson seatpost for that bike? I'm not one to critique ones bike part choices but, screw it... why do you need a $100 post for that application?
You may have meant it as just a curious inquiry, but the way you stated it was far from mere curiosity.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
golgiaparatus said:
"For all you know, he's got a full length post in there that he puts up on XC rides" would have answered my question, if he had posted that, I would have said, ahh... good choice then. However clearly a $100 CNC'd work of art seat post with ovalized innards and über strength is wasted when only 2" of it are exposed, eh... do you disagree?
Patrick does race and ride XC, but beyound that I may have your answer. Thonson clamps are freaking strong. I always ran them untill I went I-beam even on DH bikes where I cut the whole post down to 8" because that clamp is so strong.

I like that rubber tape stuff, I think I'll go pick some up later today. Thank's for the tip.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
Just to clarify... I asked the dude why he needed a $100 seat post for that application. <snip> Was I an A hole about it? I dont think I was. Where in this thread did I do something worthy of flaming?
Questioning someone's choice in the manner that you did it comes across as critical and demeaning, as if you would have made a better choice.

I'm not flaming you, I just pointed out (in the same tone that I understood your post to be) that it was unnecessary to question his choice. You weren't really "just asking" why he chose that post. You were implying that he didn't need the post, and asking him to defend himself.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Wow Indeed. I'm more interested in the tape. I use some rubber adhesive tape that's thick, requires only one layer for full protection, and looks cool too. There hasn't been any residue the last time I took it off, but if there is, one could just use Goo Gone. I am sorry, but I just used the last of it, so I can't tell you exactly what it is. For what it's worth though it is about 1mm thick, and comes on a roll like electrical tape. And it's adhesive enough that I can run a stripe on the chainstay where I want to protect it without covering up the rest of the pretty color of the bike.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
It is clear from this informative thread that there are many very good options for protecting chainstays from a chain, the least of which is a tube w/ zip ties.