Quantcast

Sedona MTB Festival

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Any recommendations for a couple of chubby boys heading towards the festival?
Are demo bikes rented out immediately?
Any cool places to hang afterwards?

Any info would be appreciated and payed with a couple of beers at the festival

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I’d recommend cave spring CG, up the canyon, next to water, close to town but still out of the hubbub

they have showers and it’s pretty quiet, and slide park is just down the road, def cooler temps. Bike rentals and demos will be hard to find or priced through the roof. If you are driving book a rental or demo for the week from flagstaff or surrounding areas.

there is a myriad of places to eat and drink but bring your checkbook because everything is expensive and the good food usually requires a reservation on event weekends.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In Oak Creek, Famous Pizza is the cheaper post-ride hangout, but by-the-slice is re-heated previously made. Usually a decent selection of beers. Tara Thai II, which is in the same center, is great every time I've went.

I've been to a few other places too, but in general you don't go to Sedona to drink beer and hang out post-ride. There are places and it's getting more popular, but Sedona is a power-crystal-town and tourist trap with endless people wanting to park at the few parking areas and go on a 1/2 mile hike. To make the most out of it for riding, you have to know some of the better ways to get around or better places to park and then link up your ride. Last time I was in the area, a few months back, Clarksdale had some great eating downtown and a nice vibe. If one rode from West Sedona, this would probably be the place to go.

One big consideration is that there's a "Y" where 89 splits kind of in the "middle" of this. Basically, don't plan on being able to drive from Oak Creek to West Sedona, or the other way around. You can do it at times, but it's going to be jammed a lot of the time, so you tend to plan to stay "South" the whole time, like ride from and stay in Oak Creek, or "North/West", such as West Sedona. You can link up just about any area by riding, but by car, it can be next to impossible.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So what I've done in the past, is stay in Flagstaff, drive the 30 min or whatever (absolutely beautiful in Oak Creek Canyon) and ride in Sedona, but hang out in Flag. Even when it was freaking snowing in Flag, it was great riding in Sedona and Flag was beautiful with the snow and great to hang out. There are some decent places to stay within walking distance of downtown. Don't go too far East from downtown, it turns to crap pretty fast as far as endless chain restaurants and stores.

If you are set on staying in Sedona, I've had friends do it, for less development, the top of Munds is a great place to hangout and enjoy the views. I've had friends stay with their RV damn near downtown in a little park there. There are plenty of places again to eat and stuff and like was mentioned earlier, lower-cost options might be harder to find. There are a few breweries, but I've never been impressed by any of them in Sedona, pretty basic.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
In Oak Creek, Famous Pizza is the cheaper post-ride hangout, but by-the-slice is re-heated previously made. Usually a decent selection of beers. Tara Thai II, which is in the same center, is great every time I've went.

I've been to a few other places too, but in general you don't go to Sedona to drink beer and hang out post-ride. There are places and it's getting more popular, but Sedona is a power-crystal-town and tourist trap with endless people wanting to park at the few parking areas and go on a 1/2 mile hike. To make the most out of it for riding, you have to know some of the better ways to get around or better places to park and then link up your ride. Last time I was in the area, a few months back, Clarksdale had some great eating downtown and a nice vibe. If one rode from West Sedona, this would probably be the place to go.

One big consideration is that there's a "Y" where 89 splits kind of in the "middle" of this. Basically, don't plan on being able to drive from Oak Creek to West Sedona, or the other way around. You can do it at times, but it's going to be jammed a lot of the time, so you tend to plan to stay "South" the whole time, like ride from and stay in Oak Creek, or "North/West", such as West Sedona. You can link up just about any area by riding, but by car, it can be next to impossible.
This comment might have save our trip, thank you!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Just got back from Sedona, it is freaking crazy. Hadn't been there in 15 years.

Traffic/road construction/butt loads of people. The "down town" is a mess right now.
It's gone full bore Whole Foods, huge SUVs everywhere, mega blow out. No more cute little hippie town.

Trails are still good, but camp up the canyon or stay in Flag for sure! There was still snow in the lower canyon, so it might be a little chilly camping there. It doesn't get much sun.