Quantcast

Secus, finally got a chance to ride..amazed

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Finally got a chance to go ride, buddies guilted me into riding. Been working and hiding for month and a half slammed...

So we got the jump line, some jumps, step ups step downs and ladders...alot of hard pack rutted dirt and g-outs...

Completely amazed, it literally felt more like a coil fork...that was what I noticed most...
It did hold higher in lines and downhill, braking it didn't dive like before, and only place it reminded me it was a air fork was off a ladder I went to flat. It pushes travel ring within half inch of full bottom.
It got progressive really fast, and caught me off guard a bit...
IMG_8349.jpg

20211124_201444.jpg

20211124_191053.jpg
20211124_190940.jpg
20211124_185851.jpg
VideoCapture_20220110-224907.jpg

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It's a lot lighter than the Smashpot (had both) and really does feel fantastic. One piece of advice - be really precise on how the seals line up otherwise you can wind up with a completely over-pressurised rigid fork. It can happen suddenly weeks after you've installed/re-installed it. I've had it happen even when I thought it was as perfectly shimmed as I could get it with the included shims.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
All these rider reports make me think I should give it a try and compare it to the Smashpot I'm riding since it came out. :nerd:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
All these rider reports make me think I should give it a try and compare it to the Smashpot I'm riding since it came out. :nerd:
I was skeptical...kept an open mind and didn't like the grip 2 or the way it didn't play well with progressive nature of air...I love the fox 38 now...I was disappointed in the 38 and planning on e-bike tune or 4mm shim...if that didn't work sell it..

After Sundays ride , I am happy...really happy...

Going to leave it alone and now ride , I think part of the reason it was easy to overload work and not ride was I had a bad taste for the 38 performance wise...now I find myself wanting to sneak off to p-mountain behind my house and go ride...

Cant say it's for everyone but I will say it was massive improvement and it fixed alot of my dislike on the 38...I am happy as hell...

It does act alot like a coil,I run coil rear and the bike felt balanced

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
All the reviews of the Secus are glowing. If I didn't already have an EXT that worked just fine for my needs, I'd get one. It sounds just how I like my forks to feel.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
All the reviews of the Secus are glowing. If I didn't already have an EXT that worked just fine for my needs, I'd get one. It sounds just how I like my forks to feel.
A buddy of mine has a 36 with a Secus and the FAST damper and it is one of the best singlecrowns I've ridden yet.

I nearly grabbed a Secus for my ZEB but am currently trying the Zeb-Luftkappe instead. It's cheaper, lighter and I don't want to admit to my friend that his Secus works really well.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
amazing, an addon that is as heavy as a coil, makes your air fork feel like a coil. praise jeebus /s
That is what I was thinking. Well,if you do this and that,you could make it better. Like a Coil?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Finally got a chance to go ride, buddies guilted me into riding. Been working and hiding for month and a half slammed...

So we got the jump line, some jumps, step ups step downs and ladders...alot of hard pack rutted dirt and g-outs...

Completely amazed, it literally felt more like a coil fork...that was what I noticed most...
It did hold higher in lines and downhill, braking it didn't dive like before, and only place it reminded me it was a air fork was off a ladder I went to flat. It pushes travel ring within half inch of full bottom.
It got progressive really fast, and caught me off guard a bit...View attachment 170164
View attachment 170167
View attachment 170168View attachment 170169View attachment 170170View attachment 170172
Nice shot bullcrew,and nice Shop.
Avy

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How at risk to stupid crashes do you think it is? I'm tempted to buy a low end model complete bike and get a secus+avy + an ohlins rebuild and generally be a happy person by then

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
How at risk to stupid crashes do you think it is? I'm tempted to buy a low end model complete bike and get a secus+avy + an ohlins rebuild and generally be a happy person by then
I think any crash that would damage it would most likely have damaged your lowers. If you tend to thrash lowers, maybe look elsewhere, otherwise you should be good.

I have a Secus Fox footnut coming to switch one onto my 36. Hoping that since the Fox version doesn't need shimming to line up the seals that it'll be less likely to run into the pressurizing issue. I've pulled the Secus off my Boxxer just so I don't have the risk of that anymore.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
I nearly grabbed a Secus for my ZEB but am currently trying the Zeb-Luftkappe instead. It's cheaper, lighter and I don't want to admit to my friend that his Secus works really well.
how's the luftkappe working for you? was deliberating for my 36; secus sounds neat, but i'm a cheap bastard.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Get one. I've had them in Pikes, Lyriks and now a Zeb, plus I've installed them for mates in 36s. An impressive little mod for aggressive cornering and steeper sections that gives you a fair bit more confidence in weighing the front end.

I will note that if you're after a playful, jibby handling bike and traction and support isn't your biggest concern, then I'd recommend the C3 air spring for RockShox owners. That thing really gives the front end some pop.

The Secus seems to do an even better job than the Luftkappe, but that shouldn't diminish the appeal of the Luftkappe. Well worth putting one on IME.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They have a 12 month crash replacement which helps.
I don't even think about mine, I pushed some rock sections and didn't think twice about it...

djjohnr is right if you crash alot and destroy lowers then you may want to consider alternatives or a guard to cover it.
I haven't thought twice about it, my usual damage is rock strikes on lowers when it comes to the front end and destroyed wheel......that would cause a strike or two on it...not worried about it though...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And shipping the bike in a bag with it attached? No issues?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They have a 12 month crash replacement which helps.
I don't even think about mine, I pushed some rock sections and didn't think twice about it...

djjohnr is right if you crash alot and destroy lowers then you may want to consider alternatives or a guard to cover it.
I haven't thought twice about it, my usual damage is rock strikes on lowers when it comes to the front end and destroyed wheel......that would cause a strike or two on it...not worried about it though...
I dont destroy lowers a lot. Just paranoid since I tend to build my bikes to be as hassle free as possible (my DJ bike didn't change a part in the last 8 years)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have one oncoming now, too. Doh! I am thinking maybe wrapping it with thick shrink wrap until i discover the damage / safe use patterns.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

It got progressive really fast, and caught me off guard a bit...View attachment 170164
View attachment 170167
View attachment 170168View attachment 170169View attachment 170170View attachment 170172
Thank you for the pictures @bullcrew . I got mine today and the foot stud is different - the wide cylinder is round, without machined flats for a 12mm wrench, but the bottom of the stud has a 4mm hex hole. Not sure if happy about that, feels like too little purchase for eventual removal later.
20220216_181827.jpg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thank you for the pictures @bullcrew . I got mine today and the foot stud is different - the wide cylinder is round, without machined flats for a 12mm wrench, but the bottom of the stud has a 4mm hex hole. Not sure if happy about that, feels like too little purchase for eventual removal later.
Shouldn't be a problem; torque spec is only 40lb. The only annoying part of install is waiting for the heat gun to get the loctite hot enough to liquify.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Shouldn't be a problem; torque spec is only 40lb.
Yeah, 4.4Nm when you're installing, with Loctite still liquid. How many ugga dugas will be needed to unthread it from the shaft with later, given the red Loctite? Removal of the factory foot stud was a major pita with a 12mm wrench, I can't see how a 4mm Allen key is going to make the situation any better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Vorsprung made a running change to the 4mm hex a little while back. I prefer it, because you can hold the shaft steady with the hex when trying to loosen the foot nut, instead of possibly having the shaft spin in the leg.

And the torque spec is super low. It's fine.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
So how is a lower leg service with this thing?

Remove body, remove o-rings/shims, tap foot nut loose then reverse?
Not too much harder than standard?

I know the smashpot kit I had was a beast to get the foot nut loose, way tighter fit than stock setup.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

I know the smashpot kit I had was a beast to get the foot nut loose, way tighter fit than stock setup.
It's easy, just remove the nut (50lb), pull off the body and then it's the same as any other lowers service. The PITA part is whenever you need to remove the footstud. It takes awhile with the heatgun to liquify the loctite.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Yeah, barely any different than normal. You just need to pull the cartridge off once you remove the foot nut, and take a little care not to bugger the o-rings. It's easy.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Really? Never had a problem with mine. Did change travel once, switch between it and the air spring two times and moved the whole thing to another fork, never any issues.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So what's the bottomline?
I have a new to me Yari 170mm and a MST cartridge for it. Shock will be coilsprung.
Not too sure atm if I want modify the spring in some sort, but I am tempted.
Should I go coil-coil or Secus-coil on the rig?