Quantcast

Second hand Brooklyn racelink questions

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
So I have decided to sell my lovely avalanche MTN-8 fork to fund a Brooklyn racelink build.
I have my eye on one right now but I do t understand all the jack shaft stuff.
And were they not prone to breaking on the rear end?

Also do they suffer like aluminium frames with fatigue?
What should I look for when buying? Bear in mind it will be getting a full strip down and powder coat.

Is rust an issue also , I understand Brooklyn no longer makes frames or has closed is this true?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Like any used FS bike, make sure all the pivots are tight, no slop. If there is play, it will usually only get worse as the bearing receptacle is usually ovalized at this point. If the guy thinks he can fix it with new bearings, let him try, but I would never accept a used FS bike with any play. It's basically dead at that point.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Like any used FS bike, make sure all the pivots are tight, no slop. If there is play, it will usually only get worse as the bearing receptacle is usually ovalized at this point. If the guy thinks he can fix it with new bearings, let him try, but I would never accept a used FS bike with any play. It's basically dead at that point.
So if there is any movement at all is that the frame itself or the bearings?
So let's say there is play in the jack shaft , does that not have a replaceable sleeve in it?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So if there is any movement at all is that the frame itself or the bearings?
So let's say there is play in the jack shaft , does that not have a replaceable sleeve in it?
It might, but if you ride a bike with loose bearings/bushings it will often ovalize the hole that the bearing or bushing goes into (think of the fact that there is "free space" for the bearing to slam against the frame with every impact), then no amount of new bearings will ever make the play go away, it will just continue and the suspension will feel horrible. This is why you don't buy a bike with play in the suspension.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have fun contacting them when you need bits, as they sell pretty much only fixies now a website was deemed to passe so it was left to die.

Blame this guy-

I did see a 27.5" hardtail frame on the net somewhere so they might still make some MTB stuff, those Racelinks did seem to break quite often.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Get one of those instead throw light parts on it. May be able to get a mid 30's semi DH short travel bike....

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
one of my friends has a racelink, pretty useless by todays standard because of the sheer weight of the bike. not to mention xc steep headangle, and a >15inch bb height. you are a passenger on that bike, can't actually "ride" it. just point and plow

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
(tangentially related to the discussion)

This is a great photo:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
one of my friends has a racelink, pretty useless by todays standard because of the sheer weight of the bike. not to mention xc steep headangle, and a >15inch bb height. you are a passenger on that bike, can't actually "ride" it. just point and plow

You just gave the OP a chub, that's all music to his ears.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Brooklyn racelinks are the primary reason I don't trust anyone from new england. It has been long enough now that I can say that outloud.

Whew......that feels good.
I'm missing something here (A joke perhaps? In which case, yup, I killed it). What does Brooklyn have to do with New England?

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Just all the new england guys on this site who used to talk those things up. I just never understood it.

Should I have just said 'northeast?'
There's a strange, imaginary border, kinda like the Mason-Dixon, called Connecticut that is the boundary between New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI) and the rest of the northeast (NY, NJ, PA). CT has long frustrated scientists attempting to discover whether it is New England or Northeast. Even CT residents can't properly decide amongst themselves; sports loyalties are evenly skewed amongst the Yankees and Red Sox. Only the UConn Huskies are a unanimous favorite.

Oh, and Maryland and Delaware don't count.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Brooklyn racelinks are the primary reason I don't trust anyone from new england. It has been long enough now that I can say that outloud.

Whew......that feels good.
It's okay, I don't trust us either.

To op, if you haven't owned one of these bikes already, then don't buy one unless it's in brand new condition. Spares are impossible to find, the rear ends crack, often, and at the same location. The jack shafts are difficult to reassemble, and there are a multitude of bearings that will get water in them and rust out.

Even if that's all okay by you, the bike still has a 67* head angle, 17.75" stays, a 22" top tube, a 15.5" bottom bracket, and weighs 14lb for the frame set. It was designed almost specifically to be hucked at low speeds off extremely steep rocky trails, not to go fast down hills. I was recently looking into one under the presumption that I'd get a custom front triangle welded up which would fix the geometry issues, as the rear suspension really is pretty great, but there are better bikes out there...

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
it makes more sense to weld the whole new frame. Plenty of amateur wielders in Britain can do it. Maybe create a brand and market it as "huckn flat retro race linkey".

I love the look of steel tubes welded.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
They still make bike and all though someone said they are only interested in fixes, they don't make the fixes in the US anymore. Ironic really, they are making a sort come back but the CS is woeful….. You are sometimes lucky to get a email reply and no chance anyone will answer the phone…

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
There's a strange, imaginary border, kinda like the Mason-Dixon, called Connecticut that is the boundary between New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI) and the rest of the northeast (NY, NJ, PA). CT has long frustrated scientists attempting to discover whether it is New England or Northeast. Even CT residents can't properly decide amongst themselves; sports loyalties are evenly skewed amongst the Yankees and Red Sox. Only the UConn Huskies are a unanimous favorite.

Oh, and Maryland and Delaware don't count.
The division is the Connecticut River. East of it you're a New Englander. West of it you're a commuter.