Quantcast

Seat post slippage???

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My Rocky Mt Altitude 70 seat post slips constantly, no matter how tight/loose/in the middle I reef down the qr. Its a carbon tube, with a RF post...cleaned them both to showroom new, and it still slips. Checked the RM web site for recalls, and it shows nothing for that year/model.

Any ideas? Was thinking about a post with ridges along it, like the Thomson...more traction w/in the tube? Dont think shimming will help...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here is a simple one:

Get a blinkie seat post clamp and slap it on right above the actual clamp.

I did that once and it fixed a slipping post.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You need carbon fiber grip grease. If you use dirt, some of the grains will be large enough to put stars in your post, which will be the beginning of the end.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Try it now?

Gonna try some grease with a little dirt in there to increase friction within the tube itself...
Holy crap, you must be an engineer. ;)
Seriously though, take some measurements and see if maybe the OD of your post is off. What size post and seat tube are you working with here?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you don't want to buy the tacx stuff you could try talcum powder.

Toothpaste is another option which has a mild abrasive in it but nothing like sand or dirt.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yep try carbon assembly paste. Might not always work though. I have a Ibis Tranny which came with a Thomson post. Slipped and creaked with assembly paste or without and the qr had to be really tight. Uncomfortably tight. Tried a Pro XCR post and problem solved. Thomson posts are slightly smaller than the Pro and many others so I have read.