Quantcast

Screw PayPal

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
bought something on ebay. Chose PayPal as the payment method. Wanted to pay with credit card rather than have the money taken out of my account. Well the ebay checkout process never gave me the option to change the source of funds, and now Paypal is fixin' to direct debit about $600 from my bank account. Luckily the money is in there so it's not like I'm about to bounce any checks. But dammit I wanted to pay with a credit card.

So I contacted my bank and there's a form I can fax to them and they will cancel the EFT.

What will happen? Will PayPal send a mobster after me? Will the ebay seller ship the item and then get screwed? Aargh PayPal just went on my list. :rant:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well the ebay checkout process never gave me the option to change the source of funds, and now Paypal is fixin' to direct debit about $600 from my bank account. Luckily the money is in there so it's not like I'm about to bounce any checks. But dammit I wanted to pay with a credit card.

<snip>Aargh PayPal just went on my list. :rant:
:think:

How is this Paypal's fault?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Paypal won't let you bypass your Paypal balance and use bank funds. It will always use your Paypal balance first.

edit: I'm not trying to correct Echo here, it's just that I hate that Paypal does this. I like to leave a few bucks floating in there to make micropayments. Why can't I leave my balance alone?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah it used my paypal balance first, which is fine. But then it direct debited the rest out of my bank account, instead of offering me the option to use my credit card.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Paypal = owned by eBay. There's a difference. :p
OK actual sequence of events:

Clicked "Buy it now".
Clicked confirmation.
Selected paypal as payment method
Got redirected to paypal signin
Screen appeared saying total amount of transaction
Screen said nothing about source of funds
Clicked confirm
Transaction completed, never received option to change source.
I was logged in to paypal when I got screwed.

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
If I remember correctly it's a small link towards the bottom on the paypal screen. I've had the same thing happen to me. It blows.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I used Paypal just a handful of times. But I think you have to change the funding source in your Paypal account before entering the transaction mode...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think what he is saying is... why did you use pay paly without forst knowing if you were going to be able to use your card?
I have used paypal many times. In the past there has always been a prominent and obvious way to choose the funding source. They changed something, and my guess is that they deliberately make it so people will most likely end up using the EFT by mistake. I'm thinking class action lawsuit here.

Paypal (the company) is useless.

I'm the treasurer for a non profit and long story short we had a dispute with someone who used a CC to give us money (non refundable deposit) so we went through the dispute process. It took weeks and we get a response that basically said "we agree with you. You were 100% right. However, if you read your paypal agreement you'll see that paypal always sides with the decision of the credit card company. Therefore, you lose."

totally SCREWED.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Paypal (the company) is useless.

I'm the treasurer for a non profit and long story short we had a dispute with someone who used a CC to give us money (non refundable deposit) so we went through the dispute process. It took weeks and we get a response that basically said "we agree with you. You were 100% right. However, if you read your paypal agreement you'll see that paypal always sides with the decision of the credit card company. Therefore, you lose."

totally SCREWED.
I have been saying this for a long time, and people always jump to paypal's aid. It's a completely useless company.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I used paypal yesterday to pay brungeman and it gave me the choice for funding. I would, however, be excited if I had such an exciting geetar and would overlook anything but the horribly obvious. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I used paypal yesterday to pay brungeman and it gave me the choice for funding. I would, however, be excited if I had such an exciting geetar and would overlook anything but the horribly obvious. :think:
When you send money through the paypal site it is much more straightforward to change your funding source. When you do it through ebay it's different.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I do think there is a funding source option at the lower left of the confirm page. It has bitten me in the ass a few times as well, but I think it's there.

BTW that is a good lookin' axe right there.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So the resolution ended up being:

I faxed the form to my bank telling them not to accept the transaction from Paypal.

Paypal will try twice to put the charge through, and after if fails twice, they will charge my credit card since it's my backup funding source. I win!