Quantcast

Schwinn Straight 8?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Hey

It seems I might be able to get a 2003 SS8 for a good price. Any one out there in monkey land have any comments?

Good bike, bad bike? What to watch out for (linkages/bearings)... anything?

Thanks

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
good bike, 2000 or 2001 were the last yrs for the pull shocks, the der hanger isn't replaceable, so watch that, yeti or schwinn might have bearing kits if you need one.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
01 was last year they were made and this was one of the last dozen made in august of 01. (i had a stack of frames made for team for worlds and for them to take home as a parting gift for not getting paid when schwinn went under).

Might be one of the best DH bikes ever made in my opinion, guys who are not smooth will crack a swingarm sooner or later and you will be hard pressed to find a replacement as they are not made. The shifting on this bike is not so great due to the distance from the drlr hanger bolt to R axle, but we made a few drop links WITH a hanger built in and these worked KILLER.

It was just a very balanced bike, cornered great and was pretty light.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
yes, late summer of 01 was the last time they were made....then factory closed, everything liquidated.
The bike in the pic is a crap shock, one on mine is not much better but you were limited with shock options on that bike as there was not much room for resevoir.

TerBoT

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
If anyone has front triangle for this bike, I desperately need one. Ive got the same frame you see in the picture above (roughly). I love this ride, it feels long and low, and pedals awsomely. I even go on 6 hour xc rides with a 38 tooth ring on this thing. Anyway, I love the bike, but mine's cracked where the pinch bolts thread into the frame on the upper main pivot (I suspect that it was sold to me in this condition, and I rode the piss out of it for a year and a half). if anyone can hel[, my e-mail is terrybrinton@hotmail.com.

here's hoping

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yeah pullshock and rear hub made it hard to get parts....plus the shifting wasn't all that great...but a great bike overall...D