Quantcast

Schaldming WC DH Results--Opinions...

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
The only advantage clipless pedals have is out of the gate...there is no advantage anywhere else when you ride your respective pedal all the time and are used to it. I ride flats, always have...and even in 4X or slalom I can snap guys with clips out of the gate. Experience pays off more than equipment sometimes. It's all personal preference.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I ride clipless platform pedals for my trail riding and I am very comfortable gettinmg in and out of them
with Dh i stay with flats... I just feel safer by not being clicked in
with clipless you definatly have more control of your bike though

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
speedster said:
The only advantage clipless pedals have is out of the gate...there is no advantage anywhere else when you ride your respective pedal all the time and are used to it. I ride flats, always have...and even in 4X or slalom I can snap guys with clips out of the gate. Experience pays off more than equipment sometimes. It's all personal preference.
Nah, when you're plowing through really fast/rough stuff, you can rest a lot more with clips. That said, I prefer flats.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
blt2ride said:
I would hate to start a huge debate here, but the top three guys were all on platform pedals...chalk on up to us...
Nico clips in..........nuff said.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Did it rain for the finals? Just looking at the times for the semi's and the finals... a lot of people were slower.

Good result for Chris K. Really good considering he's coming back from a year off competition.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
flats/clips,

personal preference really some guys can work the bike around much better clipped in and some do it with the ability to ride feet off easier.

there is some truth to the statement about feet staying on easier when it's really rough while your clipped in.

although it's not dh i think lopes ran flats and clips this weekend to suit the quali & race situations

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
How do you know they were running flats? Did you see their bike set-up for that race? No offense, but do you have data to back up your claim?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
biker3 said:
Its public record, Rennie, Hill and Kovarik all ride flats. Thats fact.
It's not like it's a big secret that these three guys run platform pedals. I know that Kovarik was messing around with clipless pedals a few years ago, but has stayed true to his moto roots and has stayed on flats...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
blt2ride said:
It's not like it's a big secret that these three guys run platform pedals. I know that Kovarik was messing around with clipless pedals a few years ago, but has stayed true to his moto roots and has stayed on flats...
Is he ex-Moto.......i thougth he was big time BMX'er.....?

i'm not 100% sure, can anyone clarify.....?.....

Either way, Nico never ran flats. :blah:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
biker3 said:
yeah Hill can't even clip in when he rides XC...I recall this interview were he said it took him like 2 mins to clip in the only time he tried clipless pedals.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Cant Climb said:
Is he ex-Moto.......i thougth he was big time BMX'er.....?

i'm not 100% sure, can anyone clarify.....?.....

Either way, Nico never ran flats. :blah:
I know that he rides his dirt bike a lot, but not too sure how he started his career.

firevsh2o

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
Some fotos from Schladming for you:

It would have been nice to have a foto from the backflips cedric and a guy from the msc/maxxis tea did in the 4X final. I don't know the name, but he did it at least 4 times and he crashed twice. They were pretty amazing, I don't expected to see a backflip on this little jump. :thumb:

Attachments

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
blt2ride said:
I would hate to start a huge debate here, but the top three guys were all on platform pedals...chalk one up to us...
it's because Five Ten asked me what pro's they should sponsor and I told them to ship Rennie and Hill brand new Impacts back in the Winter.... :blah:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Originally Posted by biker3
(in my best Lebowski voice) "That's interesting man...that's f-ing interesting."

Obviously I'm not a golfer....errr...not a flat pedal guy. Thanks for setting me straight. I now have no respect for the aforementioned riders.....

HA HA just kidding!! :)

PAMS 25

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
Métabief, France
firevsh2o said:
Some fotos from Schladming for you:

It would have been nice to have a foto from the backflips cedric and a guy from the msc/maxxis tea did in the 4X final. I don't know the name, but he did it at least 4 times and he crashed twice. They were pretty amazing, I don't expected to see a backflip on this little jump. :thumb:
Some other pics : http://www.sportbild.at/html/gallery.asp?Query=No

Sam is my hero. :love:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I always said a flat pedal rider will never win the world cup series....my theory is on edge this year. Winning on flat pedals is not supposed to be, but a few do it.

Lopes won the 4x on flats, he hasnt used flats in years...

Weather and conditions made this flat pedals rage this weekend fire up.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
stiksandstones said:
I always said a flat pedal rider will never win the world cup series....my theory is on edge this year. Winning on flat pedals is not supposed to be, but a few do it.

Um, Rennie won in 03 on flats remember?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
JeffD said:
This argument is soooo late 90s BMX. :rolleyes:
Yep, kids are always ahead of adults when it comes to trends, and since the average age of a BMXer is 8, that makes perfect sense. :blah:

This just in, following his acquittal, Michael Jackson just applied for his NBL license.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
speedster said:

You are so right; pedals are only a preference. At World Cup level, I think it's an overall skill level you gotta obtain more than a choice between flat or clipless.

BUT, I race on flats and I say big up to Hill, Kovarik and Rennie!!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stiksandstones said:

I was wondering why he was riding flats. It must have been a stange course with some nasty weather for flat pedals to be better in a 4X race. Much like BMX, flat pedals tend to put riders at a big disadvantage...

alloutprodux

Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
oakland, ca
living in a bleak desert wasteland, in the destitute shadow of history (australia was a former british penal colony), it is no wonder that aussies feel 'incarcerated' by clipless pedals.......
often feeling 'trapped' or 'caged' by these technological wonders,
flat pedals are the only real viable options for these
historically scarred riders.....
used to fleeing for their lives for a myriad of felonious reasons,
these very fleet-footed individuals are often found standing ontop of
podiums worldwide -- a high ground vantage point, which lends itself to
combative defense, & optimum champagne pouring....
thank you for your time,
edwin p. frankenmeyer
president, Encyclopedia Brittanica